Subject: Re: Request for comments regarding draft-mccobb-xplusv-media-type-01
From: Gerald McCobb <[email-masked]>
To: Bjoern Hoehrmann <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 08:33:25 -0400
List-Id: <ietf-xml-mime.imc.org>

In response to your previous comments (thanks) I submitted 
draft-mccobb-xplusv-media-type-02.txt to [email-masked].  Please 
review and thanks in advance:

Network Working Group                                          G. McCobb
Internet-Draft                                           IBM Corporation
Expires: Oct. 1, 2005                                      April 1, 2005

                XHTML+Voice - application/xhtml+voice+xml
                    draft-mccobb-xplusv-media-type-02

Status of this Memo

   By submitting this Internet-Draft, I certify that any applicable
   patent or other IPR claims of which I am aware have been disclosed,
   and any of which I become aware will be disclosed, in accordance 
   with RFC 3668.

   Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering
   Task Force (IETF), its areas, and its working groups.  Note that
   other groups may also distribute working documents as
   Internet-Drafts.

   Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six 
   months and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents
   at any time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as 
   reference material or to cite them other than as "work in progress."

   The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at
   http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-abstracts.txt.

   The list of Internet-Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed at
   http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html.

Copyright Notice

   Copyright (C) The Internet Society (2004).  All Rights Reserved

Abstract

   This document describes the registration of the MIME sub-type
   application/xhtml+voice+xml.  This sub-type is intended for use as a
   media descriptor for XHTML+Voice multimodal language documents.  The
   XHTML+Voice 1.2 language specification is maintained by the VoiceXML
   Forum at <http://www.voicexml.org/specs/multimodal/x+v/12/>.

1.  Conventions used in this document

   The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT",
   "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this
   document are to be interpreted as described in BCP 14, RFC 2119
   [RFC2119].

McCobb                   Expires Oct. 1, 2005                   [Page 1]

Internet-Draft   XHTML+Voice - application/xhtml+voice+xml April 1, 2005

2. Introduction

   XHTML+Voice is a member of the XHTML family of document types, as
   specified by XHTML Modularization [XHTMLMOD].  XHTML+Voice extends
   XHTML 1.1 [XHTML11] with a modularized subset of VoiceXML 2.0
   [VXML20], XML Events [XMLEVNTS], and a few extensions to both XHTML
   and VoiceXML 2.0.  XHTML 1.1, VoiceXML 2.0 and XML Events are W3C
   Recommendations.

   The language integration defined by XHTML+Voice supports all modules
   defined by XHTML Modularization, and adds voice interaction to XHTML
   elements to enable multimodal applications.  The defined document
   type for XHTML+Voice is XHTML Host language document type conformant.

   XHTML+Voice 1.2 [XPLUSV12] is maintained by the VoiceXML Forum, at
   URI location <http://www.voicexml.org/specs/multimodal/x+v/12/>.

2.1 application/xhtml+voice+xml Usage

   The application/xhtml+voice+xml media type is intended to be a media
   descriptor for XHTML+Voice multimodal documents. Multimodal browsers
   have special processing requirements for XHTML+Voice documents, such
   as running a voice browser component, and support for the DOM Level
   2 Event Model [DOM2EV] and XML Events [XMLEVNTS].

   This media type registration is not intended for email usage.

3. IANA Registration

      To: [email-masked]
      Subject: Registration of Standard MIME media type 
               application/xhtml+voice+xml

      MIME media type name: application

      MIME subtype name: xhtml+voice+xml

      Required parameters: none

      Optional parameters:

        charset:  has the same semantics as the charset parameter of the
                  "application/xml" media type specified in [RFC3023].

      Encoding considerations: 7bit.  See section 4 of [RFC3236].

      Security considerations:
 
   XHTML+Voice is an extension of XHTML and has the same security issues

McCobb                   Expires Oct. 1, 2005                   [Page 2]

Internet-Draft   XHTML+Voice - application/xhtml+voice+xml April 1, 2005

   as XHTML.  These include interpreting anchors and forms in XHTML
   documents, and scripting languages and other dynamic interactive
   capabilities.  See section 7 of [RFC3236].

   In addition, the scripting language can be accessed by both the XHTML
   and the VoiceXML 2.0 markup embedded in the XHTML+Voice document.
   See section 1.3.1.5 of [XPLUSV12].

      Interoperability considerations :

   Because XHTML+Voice is built upon W3C standard recommendations, it is
   designed to be interoperable across a wide range of platforms and
   client devices.  Because the extensions to XHTML are identified by
   their namespaces, all browsers that have namespace support can run an
   XHTML+Voice document as an XHTML document without voice interaction.
 
     Published specification:

         The latest published version of XHTML+Voice is [XPLUSV12].

      Applications which use this media type:

         XHTML+Voice documents are intended to be deployed on the World
         Wide Web and rendered by multimodal browsers that support the
         visual and voice modes of interaction.  Because XHTML+Voice is
         an application of XML, authors can expect XHTML+Voice user
         agents to be conformant XML 1.0 [XML] processors.  See section
         2 of [RFC3236].

      Additional information:

         Magic number(s):  There is no single string that is always
             present.
         File extension(s): mxml, xhvml, xvml, xvm
         Macintosh File Type Code(s): TEXT

      Person & email address to contact for further information:

         Gerald M. McCobb
         [email-masked]

      Intended usage: COMMON

      Author/Change controller: Gerald McCobb

      Further information:

4. Fragment Identifiers

   See section 3 of [RFC3236].  Following [RFC3236], fragment

McCobb                   Expires Oct. 1, 2005                   [Page 3]

Internet-Draft   XHTML+Voice - application/xhtml+voice+xml April 1, 2005

   identifiers for XHTML+Voice documents designate the element with the
   corresponding ID attribute value (see [XML] section 3.3.1).

   While XHTML+Voice adds new ID attributes with fragment identifier
   namespaces that are not in the same namespace as XHTML, the fragment
   identifiers are processed in the same namespace as the ID attribute's
   namespace.

5. Recognizing XHTML+Voice files

   Because XHTML+Voice is XML, an XHTML+Voice document [optionally]
   starts with an XML declaration which begins with "<?xml" and has a
   DOCTYPE declaration "<!DOCTYPE html".  XHTML+Voice 1.2 has the
   following DOCTYPE declaration:
 
   <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//VoiceXML Forum//DTD XHTML+Voice 1.2//EN"
"http://www.voicexml.org/specs/multimodal/x+v/12/dtd/xhtml+voice12.dtd">
 
   Because XHTML+Voice is in the XHTML family of languages, the root
   element of an XHTML+Voice document is 'html' and '<html' can be found
   near the top of the document. 

6. Security Considerations

   Security considerations for this media type are discussed in the MIME
   type registration that appears in section 3.

7. Normative References

   [RFC2119]  Bradner, S., "Key words for use in RFCs to Indicate
              Requirement Levels", BCP 14, RFC 2119, March 1997.

   [RFC2396]  Berners-Lee, T., Fielding, R., and L. Masinter, "Uniform
              Resource Identifiers (URI): Generic Syntax", RFC 2396,
              August 1998.

   [RFC3023]  Murata, M., St. Laurent, S., and D. Kohn, "XML Media
              Types", RFC 3023, January 2001.

   [RFC3236]  Baker, M., Stark, P., "The 'application/xhtml+xml' Media
              Type", RFC 3236, January 2002.

   [XML]      "Extensible Markup Language (XML) 1.0", W3C
              Recommendation.  Available at <http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-
              xml> (or <http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/REC-xml-20001006>).

   [XHTMLMOD] "Modularization of XHTML," 10 April, 2001, Murray Altheim,
              Frank Boumphrey, Sam Dooley, et al, W3C Recommendation, 
              http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-modularization/

McCobb                   Expires Oct. 1, 2005                   [Page 4]

Internet-Draft   XHTML+Voice - application/xhtml+voice+xml April 1, 2005

   [XHTML11]  "XHTML 1.1 - Module-based XHTML," 31 May 2001, Murray 
              Altheim, Shane McCarron, W3C Recommendation,
              http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/.

   [DOM2EV]   "Document Object Model Level 2 Events Specification," 
              Tom Pixley, 2000.  W3C Recommendation,
              http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-2-Events/.

   [XMLEVNTS] "XML Events - An events syntax for XML", Steven
              Pemberton, T. V. Raman, and Shane McCarron, 2002.  W3C
              Recommendation, http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-events/.
   [XPLUSV12] "XHTML+Voice Profile 1.2," 16 March 2004, J. Axelsson,
              et al, http://www.voicexml.org/specs/multimodal/x+v/12/

   [VXML20]   "Voice Extensible Markup Language (VoiceXML)," 16 March
              2004, Scott McGlashan et al, W3C Recommendation,
              http://www.w3.org/TR/voicexml20/.

8. Authors' Address

   Gerald M. McCobb
   IBM Corporation
   8051 Congress Avenue, Office 2019
   Boca Raton, Florida 33487
   USA

   Phone: +1-561-862-2109
   Fax:   +1-561-862-3922
   EMail: [email-masked]

9. Full Copyright Statement

   Copyright (C) The Internet Society (2004).  This document is subject
   to the rights, licenses and restrictions contained in BCP 78, and
   except as set forth therein, the authors retain all their rights.

   This document and the information contained herein are provided on 
   an "AS IS" basis and THE CONTRIBUTOR, THE ORGANIZATION HE/SHE 
   REPRESENTS OR IS SPONSORED BY (IF ANY), THE INTERNET SOCIETY AND THE
   INTERNET ENGINEERING TASK FORCE DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR 
   IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY WARRANTY THAT THE USE OF 
   THE INFORMATION HEREIN WILL NOT INFRINGE ANY RIGHTS OR ANY IMPLIED 
   WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

   Intellectual Property

   The IETF takes no position regarding the validity or scope of any

McCobb                   Expires Oct. 1, 2005                   [Page 5]

Internet-Draft   XHTML+Voice - application/xhtml+voice+xml April 1, 2005

   Intellectual Property Rights or other rights that might be claimed 
   to pertain to the implementation or use of the technology described 
   in this document or the extent to which any license under such 
   rights might or might not be available; nor does it represent that 
   it has made any independent effort to identify any such rights. 
   Information on the procedures with respect to rights in RFC 
   documents can be found in BCP 78 and BCP 79.

   Copies of IPR disclosures made to the IETF Secretariat and any
   assurances of licenses to be made available, or the result of an
   attempt made to obtain a general license or permission for the use
   of such proprietary rights by implementers or users of this 
   specification can be obtained from the IETF on-line IPR repository 
   at http://www.ietf.org/ipr. 

   The IETF invites any interested party to bring to its attention any
   copyrights, patents or patent applications, or other proprietary
   rights that may cover technology that may be required to implement
   this standard.  Please address the information to the IETF at ietf-
   [email-masked].

Acknowledgement

   Funding for the RFC Editor function is currently provided by the
   Internet Society.

Mccobb                   Expires May 15, 2005                   [Page 6]

Regards,
Gerald McCobb
IBM
8051 Congress Avenue
Boca Raton, FL 33487
Tel. # 561-862-2109 T/L 975-2109

Bjoern Hoehrmann <[email-masked]>
03/26/2005 06:06 PM
 
        To:     Gerald McCobb/Boca Raton/IBM@IBMUS
        cc:     [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Subject:        Re: Request for comments regarding 
draft-mccobb-xplusv-media-type-01

* Gerald McCobb wrote:
>2.1 application/xhtml+voice+xml Usage
>
>   The application/xhtml+voice+xml media type is intended to be a media
>   descriptor for XHTML+Voice documents.
>
>   This media type registration is not intended for email usage.

The draft does not really explain why there is a need for such a
type in the first place; why don't you use application/xhtml+xml?

>      Optional parameters:
>   version:  refers to the XHTML+Voice language version in the document.
>             Acceptable values are 1.0, 1.1, and 1.2 (default).

What are the processing requirements for this parameter?

>   charset:  has the same meaning as the text/html media type.  See
>   section 2 of [RFC 2854].

A word seems to be missing here. It is not really clear why the draft
refers to RFC 2854 rather than RFC 3023 or RFC 3236. 

>      Security considerations:
> 
>   XHTML+Voice is an extension of XHTML and has the same security issues
>   as XHTML.  These include interpreting anchors and forms in HTML
>   documents, and scripting languages and other dynamic interactive
>   capabilities.  See section 7 of [RFC 2854].

So the extensions to XHTML have no security considerations?

>         File extension(s): html, htm, mxml, xvml

I don't think .html and .htm should be listed here, they are already in
common use for application/xhtml+xml and text/html.

>4. Fragment Identifiers
>
>   See section 3 of [RFC 2854].

It is unclear what this means, RFC 2854 and RFC 3236 have inconsistent
rules for fragment identifiers and XHTML+Voice adds new ID attributes
so that the fragment identifier namespaces are different.

>6. Security Considerations
>
>   Security considerations for this media type are discussed in the MIME
>   type registration that appears in section 4.

Section 4 has no security considerations...

>7. References

The draft should be clear about which of these references are
informative and which normative.
-- 
Björn Höhrmann · mailto:[email-masked] · http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de
Weinh. Str. 22 · Telefon: +49(0)621/4309674 · http://www.bjoernsworld.de
68309 Mannheim · PGP Pub. KeyID: 0xA4357E78 · http://www.websitedev.de/