Subject: [xml2rfc] xml2rfc (experimental) looping

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 16:07:33 +1200

Hi,

The draft I've been working on today works OK with the production
tool in Fast or Strict mode, and works with the development tool
(web service) when I select HTML, Web/PDF or expanded XML output.
So there are no XML errors, apparently.

But it appears to loop when I select any other output format.
At least in the case of Plaintext, it finally says:

Gateway Time-out

The gateway did not receive a timely response from the upstream server or application.
Apache/2.2.19 (Debian) Server at xml.resource.org Port 80

Would somebody like my source file?

-- 
Regards
   Brian Carpenter

---

From: Elwyn Davies <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 14:40:42 +0100

Hi.

It looks as if this is a more generic problem.

The problems I reported yesterday with 
http://tools.ietf.org/tools/templates/template-edu-xml2rfc.xml
give exactly these symptoms.

I retried with a different output format and got a different error 
(reported separately).

Regards,
Elwyn

---

From: Tony Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 13:57:16 -0400

There's an update from the xml2rfc2 developers that I installed around 
noon that seems to be slightly more stable.

     Tony

On 7/27/2011 9:40 AM, Elwyn Davies wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> xml2rfc mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/xml2rfc

---

From: Elwyn Davies <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 20:08:14 +0100

9Hi.

OK - I tried this out on the problems I have reported.

1.  Plaintext output no longer hangs up. FIXED.
2.  The 'SYSTEM' entity problem seems to have gone away. FIXED
3.  symrefs = "no" problem. STILL PRESENT
4.  Archaic boilerplate indicators: another one is not present 
(trust200811). STILL PRESENT
5.  Uninitialized counters for lists. NOT FIXED (manifests in both 
samples I used)
6. Additional related problem: <list style="format R(%d)"... generates 
list labels such as R(72 )   where the space after the number is 
spurious.  However the development version does a better job of the  
hangingIndent than the old version.

But overall this is looking pretty good.

Could you put a release date/number on the web site so we can report 
errors against versions?
Regards,
Elwyn

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 10:16:50 +1200

Yes, that version does not loop and does generate a correct .txt file
for the source file that was looping yesterday. Thanks to all the elves who
are working on this.

Regards
   Brian

---

From: Tony Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 09:32:13 -0400

Note -- I *did* add a release number to the web page, as well as a log 
of the svn comments since the previous version.

There was a new version put up last night that fixes lots of issues. I 
haven't gone through explicitly to see if any of these particular issues 
were fixed, though.

     Tony Hansen

On 7/27/2011 3:08 PM, Elwyn Davies wrote:
>> There's an update from the xml2rfc2 developers that I installed 
>> around noon that seems to be slightly more stable.
>>
>>     Tony
>>