Subject: [xml2rfc] XML that won't add toc...

From: Alia Atlas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 18:20:33 -0400

Hi,

I have a draft that I (just) submitted which does not generate a Table
of Contents; it's 40 pages, so this is a bit painful.
I have verified that my installation works with a different draft with
the same header.
I verified that the problem appears on the web-site's plugin
(xml.resource.org) - though
it doesn't process with strict (error at the "<rfc category="info"
docName="draft-enyedi-rtgwg-mrt-frr-algorithm-00" ipr="trust200902">")
line.

The toc directives I have are straight from the template (and other
version that worked!):

<!-- control the table of contents (ToC) -->
<?rfc toc="yes"?>
<!-- generate a ToC -->
<?rfc tocdepth="4"?>
<!-- the number of levels of subsections in ToC. default: 3 -->

Would anyone be interested in looking at this or giving suggestions on
what to read?  My TCL is a bit rusty.

Thanks,
Alia

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 13:36:56 +0200

On 2011-10-25 00:20, Alia Atlas wrote:
> ...

You're not supposed to understand TCL, but it *would* be good to 
understand that XML is XML is XML, despite our old TCL-based tool 
accepting all kinds of ... crap.

Run it through an XML parser, and you'll note that you haven't closed 
the DOCTYPE. xml2rfc "recovered" somehow, but apparently didn't see the 
processing instructions.

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Frank Ellermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 13:37:54 +0200

On 25 October 2011 00:20, Alia Atlas wrote:

> I have a draft that I (just) submitted which does
> not generate a Table of Contents; it's 40 pages,
> so this is a bit painful.

Yes, a ToC is required for 15 (?) or more pages in
an RFC.  And for an I-D it's odd when it doesn't

> <?rfc toc="yes"?>

Test <?rfc toc="yes" ?>  Sorry for wasting your
time if that's not the problem.  My homebrewn XML
check doesn't insist on the space, and actually I
think that it's optional.  A question for the XML
experts:  Is white space between ? and > allowed?

-Frank