Subject: [xml2rfc] Line breaks within table cells

From: Fernando Gont <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2011 09:17:55 -0300

Folks,

Does anyone know how to produce a line break within a table cell?

That is, I'd like to produce this kind of output:

 +---------------------------------+-----------+--------+------------+
 |            TITLE                |    N/A    |   N/A  |     N/A    |
 +---------------------------------+-----------+--------+------------+
 |            LINE 1               |   Rate-L  | Rate-L |   Rate-L   |
 |            LINE 2               |           |        |            |
 +---------------------------------+-----------+--------+------------+

As it can be easily seen, there's a line break between "LINE 1" and
"LINE 2". I tried with "<vspace blankLines="0" />", but it results in an
error.

Any help?

Thanks!

Best regards,
-- 
Fernando Gont
e-mail: [email-masked] || [email-masked]
PGP Fingerprint: 7809 84F5 322E 45C7 F1C9 3945 96EE A9EF D076 FFF1

---

From: Miek Gieben <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2011 14:08:39 +0100

[ Quoting <[email-masked]> at 09:17 on Nov  1 in "[xml2rfc] Line break..." ]
> That is, I'd like to produce this kind of output:

Can't you use a paragraph?

    <t>LINE1</t>
    <t>LINE2</t>

Or otherwise fall back to an <artwork>

grtz Miek

---

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2011 15:11:56 +0200

Put LINE 1 and LINE 2 into two rows and leave the cells in the "N/A" columns empty in the second row. (That's what we did for the table in http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5405#section-5)

Lars

On 2011-11-1, at 14:17, Fernando Gont wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> xml2rfc mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/xml2rfc

---

From: Frank Ellermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2011 22:09:07 +0100

On 1 November 2011 13:17, Fernando Gont wrote:

> I tried with "<vspace blankLines="0" />", but it
> results in an error.

Oddly the DTD doesn't allow this.  It's odd for me,
because XHTML allows <br />, and <vspace /> is very
similar.  Have you tested this:

<c>....<spanx xml:space="preserve">
</spanx>.....</c>

The DTD claims that xml:space="preserve" is allowed,
and if it works the line break in a "spanx" in a "c"
should survive the XML processing.

-Frank

---

From: Fernando Gont <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2011 18:12:29 -0300

> Can't you use a paragraph?

This would leave a blank line between "LINE 1" and "LINE 2".

> Or otherwise fall back to an <artwork>

I will try Lars suggestion, which he mention has solve this issue for
them. -- otherwise, I guess I could do <artwork> or <pre>...

Thanks!

Best regards,

---

From: Fernando Gont <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2011 20:06:14 -0300

Hi, Lars,

The problem is that I'd like the whole table to look like this:

 +---------------------------------+-----------+--------+------------+
 |            TITLE                |    N/A    |   N/A  |     N/A    |
 +---------------------------------+-----------+--------+------------+
 |            LINE 1               |   Rate-L  | Rate-L |   Rate-L   |
 |            LINE 2               |           |        |            |
 +---------------------------------+-----------+--------+------------+
 |            LINE 3               |   Rate-L  | Rate-L |   Rate-L   |
 |            LINE 4               |           |        |            |
 +---------------------------------+-----------+--------+------------+

That is, I'd like to include the cell division (with the "style='all'"
tag), too... and I think the approach you describe wouldn't allow me to
do that... -- Are you aware of any way to achieve this?

P.S.: Worst-case scenario, I'll live without the cell-division, or could
probably try "<artwork>" or "<pre>" (although these last two would be
ugly to use..)

Thanks!

Best regards,
Fernando

---

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 09:27:55 +0200

Hi,

> The problem is that I'd like the whole table to look like this:

nope. That's why we settled for blank lines as dividers.

Lars

---

From: "Dan Wing" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 22:33:07 -0700

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
> Behalf Of Fernando Gont
> Sent: Wednesday, November 02, 2011 4:06 PM
> To: Lars Eggert
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [xml2rfc] Line breaks within table cells
> 
> Hi, Lars,
> 

Instead of fighting with it, I just do ASCII art in a <figure>.  If
all you need (need, not "want") is the TXT output, it's only the TXT
that matters..

-d

> > Put LINE 1 and LINE 2 into two rows and leave the cells in the "N/A"
> columns empty in the second row. (That's what we did for the table in
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5405#section-5)
> >
> > Lars
> >
> >> |            LINE 2               |           |        |
> |