Subject: [xml2rfc] New xml2rfc release: 2.4.0

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 21:43:31 +0100

This announces the release of xml2rfc version 2.4.0, available for download
from:

   http://pypi.python.org/pypi/xml2rfc
   http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc2/cli/

With this release, all issues against the 2.x series of xml2rfc has been
resolved.  Without doubt there will be new issues in the issue tracker,
but the current clean slate is nice to have :-)

For full details on all tickets, there's always the issue tracker:
http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/report/.  An extract
from the commit log is available below.

Enjoy!

	Henrik

--------

  Release notes: 

  * In some cases, the error messages when validating an xml document are 
    correct, but too obscure.  If a required element is absent, the error 
    message could say for instance 'Element references content does not follow 
    the DTD, expecting (reference)+, got ', which is correct -- the DTD 
    validator  got nothing, when it required something, so it says 'got ', with 
    nothing after 'got'.  But for a regular user, we now add on 'nothing.' to 
    make things clearer.  Fixes issue #102.

  * It seems there could be a bug in separate invocation of 
    lxml.etree.DTD.validate(tree) after parsing, compared to doing parsing with 
    dtd_validation=True.  The former fails in a case when it shouldn't, while 
    the latter succeeds in validating a valid document.  Declaring validation 
    as successful if the dtd.error_log is empty, even if validation returned 
    False.  This resolves issue #103.

  * Factored out the code which gets an author's initials from the xml 
    author element, and made the get_initials() utility function return 
    initials fixed up with trailing spaces, if missing.  The current code does 
    not mangle initials by removing any initials but the first one.  Fixes 
    issue #63, closes issue #10.

  * Added code to avoid breaking URLs in boilerplate across lines.  Fixes 
    issue #78.
  * Added PI defaults for 'figurecount' and 'tablecount' (not listed in the 
    xml2rfc readme...)  Also removed coupling between explicitly set 
    rfcedstyle, compact, and subcompact settings, to follow v1 practice.

  * Refactored the PI defaults to appear all in the same place, rather than 
    spread out throughout the code.

  * Updated draw_table to insert blank rows when PI compact is 'no'. Fixes 
    issue #82.

  * Added tests and special handling for the case when a hanging type list 
    has less space left on the first line, after the bullet, than what's needed 
    for the first following word.  In that case, start the list text on the 
    following line.  Fixes issue #85.

  * Modified the page-breaking code to better keep section titles together 
    with the section text, and keep figure preamble, figure, postamble and 
    caption together.  Updated tests.  Fixes issue #100.

  * Added handling of tocdepth to the html writer.  Fixes issue #101.

  * Modified how the --base switch to the xml2rfc script works, to make it 
    easier to generate multiple output formats and place them all in the same 
    target directory.  Also changed the default extensions for two output 
    formats (.raw.txt and .exp.xml).

  * Tweaked the html template to not permit crazy wide pages.

  * Rewrote parts of the parsing in order to get hold of the number 
    attribute of the <rfc/> tag before the full parsing is done, in order to be 
    able to later resolve the &rfc.number; entity (which, based on how 
    convoluted it is to get that right, I'd like to deprecate.)  Fixes issue 
    #86.

  * Numerous small fixes to indentation and wrapping of references.  Avoid 
    wrapping URLs in references if possible.  Avoid wrapping 'Section 3.14.' if 
    possible.  Indent more like xml2rfc v1.

  * Added reduction of doublespaces in regular text, except when they might 
    be at the end of a sentence.  Xml2rfc v1 would do this, v2 didn't till now.

  * Generalized the _format_counter() method to consistently handle list 
    counter field-widths internally, and made it adjust the field-width to the 
    max counter width based on the list length and counter type.  Fixes an v1 
    to -v2 incompatibility for numbered lists with 10 items or more, and other 
    similar cases.

  * Added generic base conversion code, and used that to generate list 
    letters which will work for lists with more than 26 items.

  * Reworked code to render roman numerals in lists, to place whitespace 
    correctly in justification field.  Fixes issue #94.

  * Added consensus vs. no-consensus options for IAB RFCs' Status of This 
    Memo section.  Fixes issue #88.

  * Made <t/> elements with an anchor attribute generate html with an <a 
    name='...'/> elemnt, for linking.  Closes issue #67.

  * Applied boilerplate URL-splitting prevention only in the raw writer 
    where later do paragraph line-wrapping, instead of generically.  Fixes 
    issue #62.

  * Now permitting all versions of lxml >= 2.2.8, but notice that there may 
    be missing build dependencies for lxml 3.x which may cause installation of 
    lxml to fail.  (That's an lxml issue, rather than an xml2rfc issue, 
    though...)  This fixes issue #99.

---

From: Miek Gieben <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 22:24:31 +0100

[ Quoting <[email-masked]> in "[xml2rfc] New xml2rfc release: 2.4...." ]
>    http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc2/cli/

debs at:

http://pandoc2rfc.implementers.org/testing/all/

(hat tip to Marc Petit-Huguenin)

grtz Miek

---

From: Miek Gieben <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 22:24:31 +0100

debs at:

grtz Miek

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 22:33:41 +0100

(Snipping the list at xml.resource.org from recipients; seems it's synonymous with
this list)

Inline:

> (hat tip to Marc Petit-Huguenin)

Wow!  That was fast!

Best regards,

	Henrik

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 19:06:12 -0500

Is, or will, this be available to those of us who use xml2rfc from 
http://xml.resource.org/?

	Thanks,
	Paul

On 1/29/13 3:43 PM, Henrik Levkowetz wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> xml2rfc mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/xml2rfc
>

---

From: Tony Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 22:09:40 -0500

Yes, as soon as we can.

     Tony Hansen

---

From: Tony Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 14:34:18 -0500

http://xml.resource.org has been running 2.4.0 for a few hours now and 
seems to be working fine. The HTML files need to make it out to the 
various mirrors, but that shouldn't take long.

     Tony