Subject: [xml2rfc] #152: Installation problems on Windows

From: "xml2rfc issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 18:08:11 -0000

#152: Installation problems on Windows

 I have finally managed to get a running version of the python based
 xml2rfc running on my windows system.  This will contain a running list of
 the problems and work arounds that I went through to get things running
 and a list of problems that I ran into

 1.  As covered in ticket # 112 - setuptools is a pre-requisite download.
 For python newbies it will not be a will known step on how to find it and
 what to do.  Installation instructions should contain a pointer to this as
 a pre-request download and install

 2.  lxml is a pre-requiste download.  The current method that the install
 process uses does not work and will never work on a windows system.  It
 currently downloads a .gz file which a clean window system cannot decode.
 Additionally since there is no pre-installed compiler it cannot compile.
 One needs to visit http://www.zlatkovic.com/libxml.en.html or a similar
 site and get the pre-built win32 binaries or be prepared to spend a lot of
 time doing the builds oneself.

 3.  There needs to be a strong warning against a standard practice on
 windows system.  The file xml2rfc which is the top level script for
 running the program cannot be re-named to xml2rfc.py and expect the system
 to work correctly.  If this is done then it will no look at the site-
 packages directory for any of the packages.  If the file is renamed to
 something like xml2rfc-x.py then things work fine.  Using the .py
 extension on a scipt file is normal practice in order to link the file to
 the program.

-- 
------------------------------------+----------------------------------
 Reporter:  [email-masked]  |      Owner:  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect                  |     Status:  new
 Priority:  critical                |  Milestone:
Component:  Version 2 cli           |    Version:  2.4.x
 Keywords:                          |
------------------------------------+----------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/ticket/152>
xml2rfc <http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/>