Subject: [xml2rfc] #140: make <date/> optional

From: "xml2rfc issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 12:37:01 -0000

#140: make <date/> optional

 <date/> is currently required, but all attributes can be left out.

 This doesn't make sense, <date/> should be optional.

-- 
-----------------------------------+--------------------
 Reporter:  [email-masked]  |      Owner:
     Type:  enhancement            |     Status:  new
 Priority:  medium                 |  Milestone:
Component:  vocabulary             |    Version:  2.3.10
 Keywords:                         |
-----------------------------------+--------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/ticket/140>
xml2rfc <http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/>

---

From: "xml2rfc issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 17:45:22 -0000

Comment (by [email-masked]):

 Maybe xml2rfc should have an option to output XML again, but with today's
 data as the <date>.  This would be useful for archival purposes.  E.g., if
 someone downloads the .xml of an I-D and applies xml2rfc they should get
 the same date/expires as the uploaded .txt.

-- 
------------------------------------+--------------------
Resolution:                         |   Keywords:
------------------------------------+--------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/ticket/140#comment:1>
xml2rfc <http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/>

---

From: "xml2rfc issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2013 02:07:30 -0000

Comment (by [email-masked]):

 xml2rfc does have an option to expand bibxml references and <?rfc
 includes> into a new xml file. Perhaps <date/> should be added to the list
 of what is expanded.

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/ticket/140#comment:2>
xml2rfc <http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/>

---

From: "Fred Baker (fred)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2013 02:14:31 +0000

> This doesn't make sense, <date/> should be optional.

So, the default values in <date/> should be "today's date", and one only overrides that in order to set a different date?

> _______________________________________________
> xml2rfc mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/xml2rfc

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2013 10:42:54 +0100

> So, the default values in <date/> should be "today's date", and one only overrides that in order to set a different date?

That's essentially what v1 and rfc2629.xslt do; they default the day 
when month and year are current, they default month and day when year is 
current, and they default all three if no attribute is there at all.

Best regards, Julian