Subject: [xml2rfc] Trying to use the new xml2rfc

From: "Jim Schaad" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 08:57:45 -0400

So I decided to try and install and start using it on my Windows system.  As
of this time I have not yet succeeded but am logging some of the failures
that I have run across so far.

Failure #1

I had Python 3.3 already on my system.  Downloaded the new xml2rfc package
and found out that it wanted the setuptools package..  However this package
is only available for Python 2.x packages.  After a while I found that there
is a new distribute package for 3.X which replaces setuptools and installed
it.  I then got a set of compilation errors from the xml2rfc source dealing
with except statements.

Failure #2

Rolled back to Python 2.7.  Installed the distribute package and got an
error that a package was not available as it is native Python 3.3 even
though it appears from the documentation that distribute is supposed to be
backwards compatable.

Failure #3

Installed Python 2.7 and the setuptools package.  Setup tools would not
install as I had installed Python 2.7 only for me and not for all users on
the system.

Failure #4

Re-installed Python 2.7 for all users and setuptools package.  Started the
setup processing for xml2rfc and it when out to download and install the
lxml package.  However this is not the correct way for doing it on windows

Downloading http://lxml.de/files/lxml-3.1.0.tgz

Processing lxml-3.1.0.tgz

error:
c:\users\jimsch~1.aug\appdata\local\temp\easy_install-ggjiij\lxml-3.1.0\doc\
html\api\lxml.builder-pysrc.html: The process cannot access the file because
it is being used by another process

Next step is going to be to figure out where and how to get a binary install
of this package for windows as there are no current ones available for the
version that is being asked for.