Subject: [xml2rfc] #165: e.g., i.e.

From: "xml2rfc issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 21:47:31 -0000

#165: e.g., i.e.

 xml2rfc has developed the bad habit of double-spacing after abbreviations
 such as "e.g." and "i.e.". Also after "S." as in "S. 4.2". These can all
 be worked around by writing out the abbreviations in full, of course.

-- 
-----------------------------+----------------------------------
 Reporter:  [email-masked]  |      Owner:  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect           |     Status:  new
 Priority:  minor            |  Milestone:
Component:  Version 2 cli    |    Version:  2.3.10
 Keywords:                   |
-----------------------------+----------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/ticket/165>
xml2rfc <http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/>

---

From: Glen Zorn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2013 08:53:46 +0700

>   be worked around by writing out the abbreviations in full, of course.

Or by including &nbsp; after the period w/o spaces before or after..
.

---

From: "xml2rfc issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2013 15:25:25 -0000

#165: e.g., i.e.

Comment (by [email-masked]):

 This may be too pedantic, but the Chicago Manual of Style recommends a
 comma after i.e., and e.g.,; this will also suppress the two-space
 behavior!

 Glen Zorn suggested on the mailing list to use &nbsp;, e.g.,
 "i.e.&nbsp;those grammar weenies at Chicago can stuff it".

-- 
------------------------------+----------------------------------
Resolution:                   |   Keywords:
------------------------------+----------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/ticket/165#comment:1>
xml2rfc <http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/>

---

From: William Atwood <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2013 11:30:42 -0400

I was always taught that this is the correct punctuation, i.e.,
punctuate it as if the phrase were spelled out:

This problem is negligible, that is, a comma should be there anyway.

This problem is negligible, i.e., a comma should be there anyway.

Poof!  The problem goes away.

  Bill

-- 
Dr. J.W. Atwood, Eng.             tel:   +1 (514) 848-2424 x3046
Distinguished Professor Emeritus  fax:   +1 (514) 848-2830
Department of Computer Science
   and Software Engineering
Concordia University EV 3.185     email:[email-masked]
1455 de Maisonneuve Blvd. West    http://users.encs.concordia.ca/~bill
Montreal, Quebec Canada H3G 1M8