Subject: [xml2rfc] Release candidate: 2.4.2.rc1

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 May 2013 17:14:08 +0200

Hi,

I've completed a bunch of bug-fixes to xml2rfc v2, and feel about ready to do
a release.  However, in order to get pre-release testing on as many systems
as possible, I thought I'd change the release process a bit, and provide a
release candidate for those that might feel inclined to try it out and provide
feedback.

The release candidate is available here:
  https://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc2/cli/xml2rfc-2.4.2.rc1.tar.gz

The bugs which should be squished in this release are the top 24 on this page:
http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/report/12?asc=0&sort=modified
(down to #136, inclusive).

If you have special interest in one of the listed bugs, a confirmation that
2.4.2.rc1 fixes the matter would be very welcome.

All the remaining issues in the issue tracker are classified as medium or
lower (see http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/report/11), and
I don't intend to work on any of those for this release, but if you find
major issues with the release, or if one of the supposedly fixed issues
aren't completely fixed, I'd like to hear about it.

With respect to the remaining issues, I hope to handle many of them for the
2.4.3 release, planned for end of June.

Best regards,

	Henrik

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Release notes, 2.4.2.rc1:

  This release fixes all major and critical issues registered in the issue
  tracker as of 26 May 2013.  Details:

  * Added pre-installation requirements to the INSTALL file.  Added code to
    scripts/xml2rfc in order to avoid problems if that file is renamed to
    scripts/xml2rfc.py.  This fixes issue #152.

  * Added a setup requirement for python <3.0, as things don't currently
    work if trying to run setup.py or xml2rfc with python 3.X.

  * Added special cases to avoid adding double spaces after many common
    abbreviations.  Refined the sentence-end double-space fixup further, to
    look at whether what follows looks like the start of a new sentence.
    This fixes issue #115.  

  * Moved the get_initials() function to the BaseRfcWriter, as it now needs
    to look at a PI.  Added code to return one initial only, or multiple,
    depending on the PI 'multiple-initials' setting.  Fixes issue #138 (for
    now).  It is possible that this resolution is too simpleminded, and a
    cleaner way is needed to differentiate the handling of initials in the
    current document versus initials in references.

  * Added new undocumented PI multiple-initials to control whether multiple
    initials will be shown for an author, or not.  The default is 'no',
    matching the xml2rfc v1.x behaviour.

  * Fixed the code which determines when an author affiliation doesn't need
    to be listed again in the front page author list, and removes the
    redundant affiliation (the old code would remove the *first* matching
    organization, rather than the immediately preceeding organization name).
    Also fixed a buggy test of when an organization element is present.
    Fixes issue #135.

  * Made appearance of 'Authors Address' (etc.) in ToC dependent on PI
    'rfcedstyle' == 'yes'.  Fixes issue #125.

  * Updated write_text() to handle long bullets that need to be wrapped
    across lines better.  Fixes issue #124.

  * Fixed two other cases of missing blank lines when PI 'compact' is 'no'.
    Fixes issue #82 (some more).

  * Disabled the iprnotified IP.  See issue #123; closes #123.

  * When protecting http: URLs from line-breaking in nroff output, place the
    \% outside enclosing parentheses, if any.  Fixes issue #120.

  * Added a warning for incomplete and out-of-date <date/> elements.  Fixed
    an issue with changeset [792].

  * Issue a warning when the source file isn't for an RFC, but doesn't have
    a docName attribute in the <rfc/> element.

  * Fixed the use of separating lines in table drawing, to match v1 for text
    and nroff output.  (There is no specification for the meaining of the
    different styles though...).  Fixes issue #113.  Note that additional
    style definitions are needed to get the correct results for the html
    output.

  * Refactored and re-wrote the paginated text writer and the nroff writer
    in order to generate a ToC in nroff by re-using the fairly complex
    post-rendering code which inserts the ToC (and iref entries) in the
    paginated text writer.  As a side effect, the page-breaking calculations
    for the nroff writer becomes the same as for the paginated writer.
    Re-factored the line and page-break emitting code to be cleaner and more
    readable.  Changed the code to not start inserting a ToC too close to
    the end of a page (currently hardcoded to require at least 10 lines),
    otherwise skip to a new page.  Fixes issue #109.

  * Changed the author list in first-page header to show a blank line if no
    organization has been given.  Fixes issue #108.

  * Changed the wrapping of nroff output to match text output closely, in
    order to minimize insertion of .bp in the middle of a line.  Fixes issue
    #150 (mostly -- line breaks on hyphens may still cause .bp to be emitted
    in the middle of a line in very rare cases).

  * Changed nroff output for long titles (which will wrap) so that the
    wrapped title text will be indented appropriately.  Fixes issue #128.

  * Changed the handling of special characters (nbsp, nbhy) so as to emit
    the proper non-breaking escapes for nroff.  Fixes issue #121.

  * Changed start-of-line nroff escape handling, see issue #118.

  * Changed the generation of xref text to use the same numeric indexes as
    in the references section when symrefs='no'.  Don't start numbering over
    again when starting a new references section (i.e., when moving from
    normative to informative).  Don't re-sort numeric references
    alphabetically; they are already sorted numerically.  Fixes issue #107.

  * Changed os.linesep to '<NL>' when writing lines to text files.  The
    library takes care of doing the right thing on different platforms;
    writing os.linesep on the other hand will result in the file containing
    '<CR><CR><NL>', which is wrong.  Fixes issue #141.

  * Changed handling of include PIs to replace the PI instead of just
    appending the included tree.  Updated a test file to match updated test
    case.  Fixes issue #136.

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 May 2013 23:12:15 +0200

On 2013-05-26 17:14 Henrik Levkowetz said the following:
...
>   https://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc2/cli/xml2rfc-2.4.2.rc1.tar.gz

The first bug in rc1 has been found and fixed.

Please try this instead:

  https://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc2/cli/xml2rfc-2.4.2.rc2.tar.gz

Best regards,

	Henrik