Subject: [xml2rfc] #168: line-breaking of URLs in references

From: "xml2rfc issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 May 2013 20:32:16 -0000

#168: line-breaking of URLs in references

 For reference elements where the target contains a URL, I think the output
 (txt and nroff) would ideally be as follows.

   * if the URL fits on one line, put it on its own line.
   * if the URL doesn't fit on one line, put line breaks after "/"  (rather
 than mid-word or after "-").
   * no line break after {{{<http://}}}.
   * each URL on as few lines as possible.

 (Fyi, Changeset 743 has to do with line breaking of URLs in references;
 I'm not sure if/how it relates to the points above.)

 Examples below are from the attached XML.

 {{{
 v2 output (bad):
    [OASIS-SAMLv2-CORE]
               Cantor, S., Ed., Kemp, J., Ed., Philpott, R., Ed., and E.
               Maler, Ed., "Assertions and Protocols for the OASIS
               Security Assertion Markup Language (SAML) V2.0", OASIS
               Standard saml-core-2.0-os, March 2005, <http://docs.oasis-
               open.org/security/saml/v2.0/saml-core-2.0-os.pdf>.

 Desired output:
    [OASIS-SAMLv2-CORE]
               Cantor, S., Ed., Kemp, J., Ed., Philpott, R., Ed., and E.
               Maler, Ed., "Assertions and Protocols for the OASIS
               Security Assertion Markup Language (SAML) V2.0", OASIS
               Standard saml-core-2.0-os, March 2005,
               <http://docs.oasis-open.org/security/saml/v2.0/
               saml-core-2.0-os.pdf>.

 v1 output (also bad, btw):
    [OASIS-SAMLv2-CORE]
               Cantor, S., Ed., Kemp, J., Ed., Philpott, R., Ed., and E.
               Maler, Ed., "Assertions and Protocols for the OASIS
               Security Assertion Markup Language (SAML) V2.0", OASIS
               Standard saml-core-2.0-os, March 2005, <http://
               docs.oasis-open.org/security/saml/v2.0/
               saml-core-2.0-os.pdf>.
 }}}

 There's also an issue where the v2 nroff output does not match the v2 txt
 output, and the output creates a line over 72 chars:

 {{{
 v2 text (OK):
    [WEBER]    Weber, C., "Attacking Software Globalization", March 2010,
               <http://www.lookout.net/files/
               Chris_Weber_Character%20Transformations%20v1.7_IUC33.pdf>.

 v2 nroff (bad):
 .ti 3
 [WEBER]    Weber, C., "Attacking Software Globalization", March 2010,
 <http://www.lookout.net/files/Chris_Weber_Character%20Transformations
 %20v1.7_IUC33.pdf>.

 which yields text that's over 72 chars.

 Desired nroff (in order to match v2 text):
 .ti 3
 [WEBER]    Weber, C., "Attacking Software Globalization", March 2010,
 <http://www.lookout.net/file/
 .br
 Chris_Weber_Character%20Transformations%20v1.7_IUC33.pdf>.
 }}}

 Side note about the XML: turning the rfcedstyle PI off and on around the
 references section is a work-around in order to get it to make the
 indentation less when there are long anchors.

-- 
-----------------------------+----------------------------------
 Reporter:  [email-masked]  |      Owner:  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect           |     Status:  new
 Priority:  medium           |  Milestone:
Component:  Version 2 cli    |    Version:  2.4.x
 Keywords:                   |
-----------------------------+----------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/ticket/168>
xml2rfc <http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/>