Subject: [xml2rfc] #192: in texttable, presence of \0 yields bad format

From: "xml2rfc issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 18:42:45 -0000

#192: in texttable, presence of \0 yields bad format

 In a <texttable> in the XML file, the RFC Editor inserted &nbsp; in order
 to get 2 spaces after the sentence-ending periods contained in <c>.  This
 works as expected for txt output, but causes bad formatting in the nroff
 output (more accurately, the text created from the nroff).

 v2 converts &nbsp; to \0 (in nroff) which is a good thing; however, within
 a texttable it seems to cause a miscalculation about line length for
 placement of the '|' on the right.

 In the nroff-generated text output (attached test_fromnroff.txt), see the
 table in section 2.1; excerpt below.

 v2 nroff output (from test.xml attached to #191):
 {{{
  |   Metadata | 4-bit field that defines the optional encoding of    |
  |   Encoding | the Object Metadata field (see Section 7). \0Two     |
  |    (MDEnc) | values are currently defined. \0A value of 0         |
  |            | indicates that the field contains UTF-8 encoded      |
  |            | [RFC3629] text. \0A value of 1 indicates that the    |
  |            | field contains GZIP [RFC1952] compressed UTF-8       |
  |            | encoded text.                  |
 }}}

 Text from v2 nroff:
 {{{
     |   Metadata | 4-bit field that defines the optional encoding of    |
     |   Encoding | the Object Metadata field (see Section 7).  Two     |
     |    (MDEnc) | values are currently defined.  A value of 0         |
     |            | indicates that the field contains UTF-8 encoded      |
     |            | [RFC3629] text.  A value of 1 indicates that the    |
     |            | field contains GZIP [RFC1952] compressed UTF-8       |
     |            | encoded text.                                        |

 }}}

 (Fyi, v1 handles this correctly.)

-- 
---------------------------------+----------------------------------
 Reporter:  [email-masked]      |      Owner:  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect               |     Status:  new
 Priority:  medium               |  Milestone:
Component:  Version 2 cli nroff  |    Version:  2.4.x
 Keywords:                       |
---------------------------------+----------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/ticket/192>
xml2rfc <http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/>