Subject: Re: [xml2rfc] #194: handling of leading space in figure artwork

From: "xml2rfc issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 21:21:43 -0000

#194: handling of leading space in figure artwork

Comment (by [email-masked]):

 Right, my mistake. Clarification below.

 In summarizing the behavior, Tony Hansen wrote:
 {{{
 Version 1 is consistent and predictable. Its rules were:
     If length <= 69, indent = 3
     else if length == 70, indent = 2, warn about outdent
     else if length == 71, indent = 1, warn about outdent
     else if length == 72, indent = 0, warn about outdent
     else if length > 72, indent = 0, warn about excess characters
     output line

 Version 2 is consistent and predictable. Currently its rules are:
     indent = 3
     if length > 69, warn about excess characters
     output line

 The problem is that version 1 and version 2 are different. Consequently,
 documents that are acceptable with v1 are not acceptable with v2.

 I'm told that this is particularly an issue with MIBs, which I'm also
 told tend to use very LONG artwork and often hit that 70-72 range.

 The question is which is "proper and correct" and should be the rule
 going forward.
 }}}

 For v1, the summary is accurate. (The question of "Is outdenting good?"
 was also mentioned in #129.)

 For v2 text output, there's an aspect that's not captured above:

   * If input has leading space 0-3 chars, the output has 3. (This is
 different from v1. See Section 2 of attached files where indented 1 space
 and 2 spaces.)
   * If input has leading space > 3 chars, the output matches the input.

 Another point of confusion: v2 text output does not match v2 nroff output
 (then made into text). This is shown in the attached file
 sample_lines_nroffdiff.html.

-- 
------------------------------+----------------------------------
  Reporter:  [email-masked]  |      Owner:  [email-masked]
      Type:  defect           |     Status:  new
  Priority:  medium           |  Milestone:
 Component:  Version 2 cli    |    Version:  2.4.x
Resolution:                   |   Keywords:
------------------------------+----------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/ticket/194#comment:2>
xml2rfc <http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/>