Subject: [xml2rfc] #198: Misleading "premature end of data" indication

From: "xml2rfc issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2013 18:19:44 -0000

#198: Misleading "premature end of data" indication

 Hi.  I accidentally copied some text into a source document that came from
 rich text web content and that contained an EM-dash.  The xml2rfc parser
 went a little crazy, treating the <t> element block in which that
 character appeared as having a "premature end of data" somewhere (and
 than, of course, assuming premature end of data for all containing
 elements).

 Recommendation: Put a test into the parser for non-ASCII characters and
 report them accordingly.  Even better, couple that text with a new
 processing directive list <?rfc nonAsciiAllowed ?> and default it to "no".
 I think the combination will head off a lot of strange issues and bad
 diagnostics when such characters are permitted (other values might
 eventually be "yes" and/or "per-style-manual").  But even the first alone
 would allow a much more useful error indicating.

-- 
-------------------------------+----------------------------------
 Reporter:  [email-masked]  |      Owner:  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect             |     Status:  new
 Priority:  medium             |  Milestone:
Component:  Version 2 cli      |    Version:  2.4.x
 Keywords:                     |
-------------------------------+----------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/ticket/198>
xml2rfc <http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/>

---

From: "xml2rfc issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2013 20:17:45 -0000

Comment (by [email-masked]):

 Hi John,

 Actually, the parser should be able to handle unicode, even if we later
 limit the
 text to ascii or something else.  Would it be possible for you to attach
 the file
 that caused the problem to this issue?

 Best regards,

     Henrik

-- 
--------------------------------+----------------------------------
Resolution:                     |   Keywords:
--------------------------------+----------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/ticket/198#comment:1>
xml2rfc <http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/>

---

From: "xml2rfc issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2013 23:23:09 -0000

Comment (by [email-masked]):

 I wouldn't be surprised if the em-dash was in a character encoding other
 than utf-8.

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/ticket/198#comment:2>
xml2rfc <http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/>