Subject: [xml2rfc] xml2rfc-2.4.2 bug: wrong cross-references in HTML output

From: Thomas Dreibholz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 14:00:34 +0200

Hi,

I tried to generate an HTML document with "<?rfc symrefs="no" ?>". The 
document references an RFC, which in my case gets the reference "[2]". The 
HTML code generated by xml2rfc-2.4.2 is:
"is defined as RFC in <a href="#RFC5351">[2]</a>"

However, in the References section, the resulting HTML code is:
<b id="2">[2]</b>
      </td>
      <td class="top"><a>Lei, P.</a>, <a>Ong, L.</a>, <a>Tuexen, M.</a> and 
<a>T. Dreibholz</a>, "<a href="http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5351">An Overview 
of Reliable Server Pooling Protocols</a>", RFC 5351, September 2008.</td>

That is, the text links to "RFC5351", but the anchor in the References section 
is "2". The anchor in the text should therefore either be "RFC5351" or the 
link in the text should point to "2".

-- 
Best regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Med vennlig hilsen

=======================================================================
 Thomas Dreibholz

 Simula Research Laboratory
 Simula Innovation AS, Network Systems Group
 Visiting address: Martin Linges vei 17, 1364 Fornebu, Norway
 Mailing address:  P.O.Box 134, 1325 Lysaker, Norway
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
 E-Mail:     [email-masked]
 Homepage:   http://simula.no/people/dreibh
=======================================================================

---

From: Thomas Dreibholz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 14:03:42 +0200

Mandag 21. oktober 2013 14.00.34 skrev Thomas Dreibholz:
> <a>T. Dreibholz</a>, "<a href="http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5351">An
> Overview of Reliable Server Pooling Protocols</a>", RFC 5351, September
> 2008.</td>
> 
> That is, the text links to "RFC5351", but the anchor in the References
> section is "2". The anchor in the text should therefore either be "RFC5351"
> or the link in the text should point to "2".

Only the first solution would work. Using "2" (as it is generated in the 
References section now) results in the W3C validator to report an error:
Error at line 640, character 16:  value of attribute "id" invalid: "2"
        cannot start a name

That is, the "<a href=...>" generation needs to be fixed.

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 18:14:21 +0200

> link in the text should point to "2".

...where "2" would be an illegal value for "id".

Best regards, Julian