Subject: [xml2rfc] New xml2rfc release: 2.4.3

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2013 19:22:30 +0100

This announces the release of xml2rfc version 2.4.3, available for download
from:

   http://pypi.python.org/pypi/xml2rfc
   http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc2/cli/

This release adds compatibility with Python 3.3; the test suite has been
run for Python 2.6, 2.7 and 3.3 using the 'tox' too.

This release also includes a large number of bugfixes, from people working
at improving xml2rfc during the IETF-88 code sprint.

For full details on all tickets, there's always the issue tracker:
http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/report/.  An extract
from the changelog is available below.

Best regards,

	Henrik

--------

  Release notes: 

  This release adds compatibility with Python 3.3; the test suite has been
  run for Python 2.6, 2.7 and 3.3 using the 'tox' tool.

  This release also includes a large number of bugfixes, from people working
  at improving xml2rfc during the IETF-88 code sprint.

  Details:

  From Tony Hansen <[email-masked]>:

  * Eliminated spurious dots before author names on page 1.  Fixes issue #189.

  * Fixed the style of nested letter-style lists.  Fixes issue #127

  * Added a handling for empty <?rfc?> PIs within references.  Fixes issue #181.

  * Removed trailing whitespace from reference title, organization.  Fixes
    issue #171.

  * Added support v1 list formats %o, %x, and %X.  Fixes issue #204.

  * Fixed a bad html selector which had a trailing '3'.  Fixes issue #197.

  From Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars>:

  * Removed leading zeros on dates.  Fixes issue #206.

  * Fixed a crash when a new page had just been created, and it was totally
    empty.  It is unknown if this can occur someplace other than for the last
    page, but it should have check in other locations to look for that.  In
    addition we needed a change to figure out that we had already emitted a
    header for the page we are not going to use any longer and delete it.  Fixes
    issue #187.

  * Handled the missing \& to escape a period at the beginning of a line.  If we
    do a raw emission (i.e. inside of a figure) then we need to go back over the
    lines we just put into the buffer and check to see if any of them have
    leading periods and quote them.  Fixes issue #191.

  * Removed extraneous .ce 0 and blank lines in the nroff.  Since it was using
    the paging formatter in the process of building the nroff output, it kept
    all of the blank lines at the end of each page and emitted them.  There is
    no check in the nroff page_break function which removes any empty lines at
    the end of the array prior to emitting the ".bp" directive (or not emitting
    it if it is the last thing in the file.  Fixes issue #180.

  * Now correctly picks up the day if a day is provided and uses the current day
    for a draft if the month and year are current.  We now allow for both the
    full name of the month and the abbreviated name of the month to be used,
    however there may be some interesting questions to look at if November is
    not in the current locale.  Fixes issue #195.

  * Fixed the text-list-symbols PI to work at all levels.  The list should
    inherit style from the nearest parent that has one.  Fixes issue #126.

  From Elwyn Davies <[email-masked]>: 

  * Don't emit '\%' before 'Section' for xrefs in the nroff writer.  Fixes
    issue #169.

  From Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>:

  * Modified the iref index output to use consistent sorting for items
    and subitems.

  * Removed the restriction to python 2.x from setup.py

  * Ported xml2rfc to python 3.3 while maintaining compatibility with 2.6 
    and 2.7.

  * Added support for tox testing covering python versions 2.6, 2.7 and 3.3

---

From: Miek Gieben <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2013 19:49:43 +0000

[ Quoting <[email-masked]> in "[xml2rfc] New xml2rfc release: 2.4...." ]
> at improving xml2rfc during the IETF-88 code sprint.

Thanks for the release. I've created some debs:

debian: http://pandoc2rfc.implementers.org/unstable/all/
ubuntu: https://launchpad.net/~miek/+archive/pandoc2rfc

Ubuntu's one tested: seems to work fine.

Regards,

-- 
   Miek Gieben

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2013 21:39:02 +0100

Hi Miek,

> ubuntu: https://launchpad.net/~miek/+archive/pandoc2rfc

Splendid!

Best regards,

	Henrik

---

From: "Jim Schaad" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 12:01:20 -0800

Henrik,

I just when out to update my Windows version to python 3.3 and think that I
am stuck.  The latest version of the python bindings for libxml2 that I have
found are still for python 2.7 and are still restricted to windows 32 (i.e.
does not use native x64 support).

Jim

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
> Behalf Of Henrik Levkowetz
> Sent: Sunday, November 17, 2013 12:39 PM
> To: XML2RFC Interest Group
> Subject: Re: [xml2rfc] New xml2rfc release: 2.4.3
> 
> Hi Miek,
> 
> >> This release adds compatibility with Python 3.3; the test suite has
> >> been run for Python 2.6, 2.7 and 3.3 using the 'tox' too.
> >>
> >> This release also includes a large number of bugfixes, from people
> >> working at improving xml2rfc during the IETF-88 code sprint.
> >
> _______________________________________________
> xml2rfc mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/xml2rfc

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 22:27:32 +0100

Hi Jim,

> does not use native x64 support).

Ugh.  Hmm.  Ok.

When I did pip install (but on linux and mac) it pulled down sources and
compiled for python3 access, but I don't think that's a reasonable path
for Windows.

I guess that means that I'll have to limit installation to python 2.6/2.7
again in the next release.  I don't know if it's possible to do so only
for Windows -- will probably be an added complication.

If you find a way around this, please let me know.

Best regards,

	Henrik