Subject: Re: [xml2rfc] #213: support for suppress-title is missing

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2013 15:08:36 +0100

On 2013-12-01 01:19, Jim Schaad wrote:
> Because the behavior of this attribute is not what I expected it to be, I
> wanted to see if this is the same behavior that should be kept going
> forward.
>
> If the table or figure is numbered, then the string 'Figure ##: ' is
> prefixed to the title unless suppress-title is set to true.  This is true
> even if the title string supplied is an empty or zero length string.
>
> The title is then emitted if the resulting title string is not empty.
>
> Thus this just suppresses the title decoration and not the title itself.
>
> Jim

No, it should suppress the title altogether.

It was introduced so that a table/figure can be anchored without getting 
a visible title.

A related question is whether these are *numbered*.

Best regards, Julian

---

From: "Jim Schaad" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2013 08:20:34 -0800

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Julian Reschke [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Sunday, December 01, 2013 6:09 AM
> To: Jim Schaad; 'xml2rfc issue tracker'; [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [xml2rfc] #213: support for suppress-title is missing
> 
> > Because the behavior of this attribute is not what I expected it to
> > be, I wanted to see if this is the same behavior that should be kept
> > going forward.
> >
> > prefixed to the title unless suppress-title is set to true.  This is
> > true even if the title string supplied is an empty or zero length
string.
> It was introduced so that a table/figure can be anchored without getting a
> visible title.

Does this mean you think that <figure title="this is title"
suppress_title="yes">  should suppress the title?  It appears to have been
done so that you can do <figure anchor="x"> which by default would create a
title of "Figure 9:" and emit that.

> A related question is whether these are *numbered*.

Current defined behavior is they are numbered if they are anchored or if
there is a directive which says to number everything.

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2013 19:20:12 +0100

On 2013-12-01 17:20, Jim Schaad wrote:
> ...

The latter is true for the motivation.

I really don't care what the outcome is when the title was specified; 
after all it's an edge case (and I believe xml2rfc.tcl and rfc2629.xslt 
currently behave differently).

> there is a directive which says to number everything.

Thanks. I'll test.

Best regards, Julian

---

From: "xml2rfc issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2013 19:38:58 -0000

#213: support for suppress-title is missing

Changes (by [email-masked]):

 * owner:  [email-masked] => [email-masked]

-- 
------------------------------------+------------------------------------
  Reporter:  [email-masked]  |      Owner:  [email-masked]
      Type:  defect                 |     Status:  new
  Priority:  medium                 |  Milestone:
 Component:  Version 2 cli          |    Version:  2.4.x
Resolution:                         |   Keywords:
------------------------------------+------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/ticket/213#comment:1>
xml2rfc <http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/>

---

From: "xml2rfc issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2013 20:05:16 -0000

* status:  new => closed
 * resolution:   => fixed

Comment:

 Fixed in [1058]:

 Fix the centering algorithm so that the nroff and txt output files are
 more consistent.
 Fix #129 - Left shift artwork that is greater than 69 characters wide and
 steal space from the left margin
 Fix #151 & 194 which deal with how figures are layout
 Fix #132 - if the artwork has an alignment - then it overrides the
 figure's version for the purpose of the artwork itself
 Fix #213 - suppres-title kills the title decoration (i.e. Figure 1:) which
 matches v1 behavior.

-- 
------------------------------------+------------------------------------
  Reporter:  [email-masked]  |      Owner:  [email-masked]
      Type:  defect                 |     Status:  closed
  Priority:  medium                 |  Milestone:
 Component:  Version 2 cli          |    Version:  2.4.x
Resolution:  fixed                  |   Keywords:
------------------------------------+------------------------------------

Ticket URL: </ticket/213#comment:2>
xml2rfc <http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/>