Subject: Re: [xml2rfc] #138: default should be to display one initial

From: "xml2rfc issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 21:23:34 -0000

#138: default should be to display one initial

Comment (by [email-masked]):

 Regarding [872], the new PI multiple-initials has side effects:

 - in the header: extraneous " ." when 1 initial is set (e.g., B. . Smith)
 - in the header: lacks smart handling of a period so extraneous " ." when
 2 initials (e.g., A. Y. . Mous)
 - in the references: adds extraneous " ." for each author, even if the
 placement of the PI multiple-initials="yes" is altered (e.g., to after the
 </references>)

 The attached sample file generates "J. A. Doe" in the header, but the PI
 affects the output of the document's other author elements and the
 references' author elements. For example:

 {{{
    [RFC5234]  Crocker, D. . and P. . Overell, "Augmented BNF for Syntax
               Specifications: ABNF", STD 68, RFC 5234, January 2008.
 }}}

 Rather than a PI, perhaps better as an attribute of an author element.

-- 
------------------------------+----------------------------------
  Reporter:  [email-masked]  |      Owner:  [email-masked]
      Type:  defect           |     Status:  closed
  Priority:  major            |  Milestone:
 Component:  Version 2 cli    |    Version:  2.4.x
Resolution:  fixed            |   Keywords:
------------------------------+----------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/ticket/138#comment:5>
xml2rfc <http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/>