Subject: [xml2rfc] #223: Including the same attribute twice results in no file output, no messages

From: "xml2rfc issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 08:02:20 -0000

#223: Including the same attribute twice results in no file output, no messages

 If one accidentally lists two anchor attributes in a section element with
 the current online version (2.4.5 apparently) and with "file" output
 enabled, processing appears to complete normally (no messages are
 generated) but a zero-length file is produced.  The "old version" (at
 http://xml.resource.org/old.html) produces a useful error message.

 This is of only medium priority as long as the old version and Bill's
 validator are available.  If either or both are not (fenron.net did not
 appear to be responding tonight), the priority should be higher.

-- 
-------------------------------+----------------------------------
 Reporter:  [email-masked]  |      Owner:  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect             |     Status:  new
 Priority:  medium             |  Milestone:
Component:  Version 2 cli      |    Version:  2.4.x
 Keywords:  zerolength output  |
-------------------------------+----------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/ticket/223>
xml2rfc <http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/>

---

From: "xml2rfc issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 16:09:08 -0000

Comment (by [email-masked]):

 This seems to be a problem with the online service only; the command-line
 version of xml2rfc (v2.4.5) provides clear error messages:

 {{{
 henrik@tannat $ xml2rfc urnbis-reg-transition-01a.xml
 Parsing file urnbis-reg-transition-01a.xml
 ERROR: Unable to parse the XML document: urnbis-reg-transition-01a.xml
  urnbis-reg-transition-01a.xml: Line 303: Attribute anchor redefined
  urnbis-reg-transition-01a.xml: Line 303: Attribute anchor redefined
 }}}

-- 
--------------------------------+----------------------------------
  Reporter:  [email-masked]  |      Owner:  [email-masked]
      Type:  defect             |     Status:  new
  Priority:  medium             |  Milestone:
 Component:  Version 2 cli      |    Version:  2.4.x
Resolution:                     |   Keywords:  zerolength output
--------------------------------+----------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/ticket/223#comment:1>
xml2rfc <http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/>

---

From: "xml2rfc issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 16:15:04 -0000

Changes (by [email-masked]):

 * status:  new => closed
 * resolution:   => worksforme

Comment:

 Hmm.  I've now tried this with the online service, too, and I get clear
 error messages for all 3 choices of output: "file", "window", and
 "frames".  In all 3 cases I see this at the top of the resulting web-page:

 {{{
 #!html
 <style>.error { color: red; }</style>
 <h1 class="error">Unable to Validate File</h1>
 <pre class="error">ERROR: Unable to parse the XML document: INPUT
  INPUT: Line 303: Attribute anchor redefined
  INPUT: Line 303: Attribute anchor redefined
 </pre>
 }}}

-- 
--------------------------------+----------------------------------
  Reporter:  [email-masked]  |      Owner:  [email-masked]
      Type:  defect             |     Status:  closed
  Priority:  medium             |  Milestone:
 Component:  Version 2 cli      |    Version:  2.4.x
Resolution:  worksforme         |   Keywords:  zerolength output
--------------------------------+----------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/ticket/223#comment:2>
xml2rfc <http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/>