Subject: [xml2rfc] Incorrect Unicode character rendering in txt output

From: Pander <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2014 17:28:46 +0100

Hi all,

When using xml2rfc version 2.4.3 I get this in the txt output

   # and Unicode orthographys, e.g.
   # &#1088;&#1091;&#769;&#1089;&#1089;&#1082;&#1080;&#1081;
   # &#1103;&#1079;&#1099;&#769;&#1082;,
   # j&#281;zyk polski and
   # &#949;&#955;&#955;&#951;&#957;&#953;&#954;&#942;
   # &#947;&#955;&#974;&#963;&#963;&#945;

when I have in the input XML

<figure>
<artwork><![CDATA[# and Unicode orthographys, e.g.
# ру́сский
# язы́к,
# język polski and
# ελληνική
# γλώσσα
]]></artwork>
</figure>

Can this bug please be fixed?

Thanks,

Pander

---

From: Curtis Villamizar <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2014 16:58:16 -0500

>    # and Unicode orthographys, e.g.

I find neither one is readable so perhaps you should go with a table
that ends up with:

    # and Unicode orthographys, e.g.
    # &#1088;  (whatever character 1088 means)
    [ ... etc ... ]

IMHO this should not be fixed.  RFCs are not in unicode.  See RFC
Editor FAQ http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcfaq.html#enhanced .

Curtis

---

From: William Atwood <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2014 17:50:03 -0500

Curtis,

Concerning your comment about unreadability, on my mailer (Thunderbird),
the Cyrillic and Greek characters are rendered. (I cannot tell if they
are rendered properly, as I do not read Russian or Greek). So, it
depends both on the actions of xml2rfc and on the actions of the
"printing engine"...

Concerning your comment about constraints on RFCs, RFCs are in Ascii for
now; this may well change, given the recent activity of the RFC editor.

Bill

On 06/02/2014 4:58 PM, Curtis Villamizar wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> xml2rfc mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/xml2rfc

-- 
Dr. J.W. Atwood, Eng.             tel:   +1 (514) 848-2424 x3046
Distinguished Professor Emeritus  fax:   +1 (514) 848-2830
Department of Computer Science
   and Software Engineering
Concordia University EV 3.185     email:[email-masked]
1455 de Maisonneuve Blvd. West    http://users.encs.concordia.ca/~bill
Montreal, Quebec Canada H3G 1M8

---

From: Curtis Villamizar <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2014 20:37:34 -0500

Bill,

Your reply included the following in the headers:

   Content-Type: text/plain; charset=windows-1252
   Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

The original message was:

   Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
   Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Mine after the mailing list software was:

   Content-Type: text/plain

with the mailing list boilerplate in another mime part with:

   Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

The reason the mailing list software did this is most likely due to
the unrecognized characters.

So fooling with alternate character sets is rife with problems.

And the RFCs are still at this time in ASCII.

Curtis

btw- I tried two different mailers besides the one I normally used
(not UTF-8 enabled by default) and got two different renderings of
the same thing.  Firefox renders these two messages differently:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/xml2rfc/current/msg04411.html
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/xml2rfc/current/msg04413.html
Making three different renderings.

In message <[email-masked]>