Subject: [xml2rfc] #231: xml2rfc behind windows gui omits table captions

From: "xml2rfc issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 11:55:37 -0000

#231: xml2rfc behind windows gui omits table captions

 I just downloaded xml2rfc-gui v0.8.0.
 Installs and appears to generally work like a breeze, thx...

 But the xml2rfc version behind the GUI seems to be behind the Web service,
 which is v2.4.5.

 For instance, I notice, in the txt output at least, that all the tables
 are missing their captions, making it useless (v2.4.5 of the Web service
 outputs these captions correctly, so I am not dead).

 It's not obvious (to me) what version of xml2rfc is behind the v0.8.0 GUI.
 It's probably v2.4.0, given I downloaded the .msi from here:
 <http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc2/>. It would be useful for different
 people to be able to use the same version of xml2rfc through different
 interfaces (e.g. when working with co-authors or with the RFC Editor).

 Nit (presumably a symptom of the same version-mismatch problem): One table
 is formatted differently between the Windows Gui and the Web service
 (columns are different widths and wrapping is different).

-- 
----------------------------------------+-------------------
 Reporter:  [email-masked]          |      Owner:
     Type:  defect                      |     Status:  new
 Priority:  medium                      |  Milestone:
Component:  Version 2 gui               |    Version:  2.4.x
 Keywords:  xml2rfc gui table captions  |
----------------------------------------+-------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/ticket/231>
xml2rfc <http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/>

---

From: "xml2rfc issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 16:04:45 -0000

Comment (by [email-masked]):

 Yes, this is a result of the GUI using an embedded copy of the command-
 line processor, rather than the system-installed version.  It should be
 possible to re-point this, but isn't currently.

 It's possible to work around this, although I wouldn't call the following
 a proper solution; it's only a workaround.

 Assuming the xml2rfc gui app is in /Applications/xml2rfc.app, the
 following should work, if you're willing to do command-line fixes:

 In a terminal window, find out where the system-installed {{{xml2rfc}}}
 module lives, and also where the {{{cgi}}} module lives (xml2rfc
 commandline 2.4.5 and later needs that):

 {{{
  $ python -c 'import xml2rfc; print xml2rfc.__path__'
  ['/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/xml2rfc']
  $ python -c 'import cgi; print cgi.__file__'
 /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/cgi.pyc
 }}}

 Create a symlink to the system xml2rfc package in the app's Resources
 directory (which is on the load path of the embedded copy of python), and
 also a symlink to the system {{{cgi}}} module (copy both from above, but
 link to the {{{.py}}} file instead of the {{{.pyc}}} file):

 {{{
  $ cd /Applications/xml2rfc.app/Contents/Resources
  $ ln -s /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/xml2rfc ./
  $ ln -s
 /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/cgi.py
 ./
  $ cd
 }}}

 If you now invoke xml2rfc.app, and in the xml2rfc drop-down menu on the
 menubar select 'About xml2rfc', you should get an 'About xml2rfc' window
 that gives the core version as 2.4.5 (if that's what you have installed).

-- 
---------------------------------+----------------------------------------
  Reporter:  [email-masked]  |      Owner:
      Type:  defect              |     Status:  new
  Priority:  medium              |  Milestone:
 Component:  Version 2 gui       |    Version:  2.4.x
Resolution:                      |   Keywords:  xml2rfc gui table captions
---------------------------------+----------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/ticket/231#comment:1>
xml2rfc <http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/>