Subject: [xml2rfc] #254 (Version 2 cli): PDF output from HTML/RFCmarkup failing due to font configutration problem

From: "xml2rfc issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 May 2014 11:48:33 -0000

#254: PDF output from HTML/RFCmarkup failing due to font configutration problem

 As reported by Stephen E Slevinski Jr:
 Using http://xml.resource.org/ , I am trying to create a PDF from the XML
 source.
 I am getting the following error.  It appears to be a configuration
 problem.

 Unable to Convert File
 Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 70:
 non-double matrix element
 Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 70:
 non-double matrix element
 Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line
 78: saw unknown, expected number

 =============

 Specifically this occurs when asking for PDF output from either the HTML
 or RFCmarkup options (but not the TXT option).

 Investigation indicates that a program is linking to a version of
 fontconfig earlier than v 2.10.91 but the platform has the 10-scale-
 bitmap-fonts.conf installed in /etc/fonts/conf.d.  This config file uses
 features that are not supported before v2.10.91.

 The problematic config file 10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf was introduced in
 2.10.91. See
 http://cgit.freedesktop.org/fontconfig/commit/?id=dc11dd581f228623f0f14b3a6a1e4beaa659266b
 and
 http://cgit.freedesktop.org/fontconfig/commit/?id=1c4c4978adb0fa59767ac7d8c7f98a86928b2fdc

 This change was introduced (also in 2.10.91) to get round the problem that
 we are seeing here:
 http://cgit.freedesktop.org/fontconfig/commit/?id=1fbb0b3b15774c187c697a80fb3c89bc1f3e0006

 This bug report indicates the need for an upgrade to fontconfig if you
 need to use this new config file.  It is possible that one of the apps
 used by xml2rfc is pulling in an old version of fontconfig.
 https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=70258

 Presumably the quick fix is just to delete 10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf
 while investigating.

-- 
-----------------------------------+----------------------------------
 Reporter:  [email-masked]  |      Owner:  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect                 |     Status:  new
 Priority:  medium                 |  Milestone:
Component:  Version 2 cli          |    Version:  2.4.x
 Keywords:                         |
-----------------------------------+----------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/ticket/254>
xml2rfc <http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/>

---

From: "xml2rfc issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 00:17:44 -0000

Comment (by [email-masked]):

 I suspect that Qt is using an old version of fontconfig.  Several tools in
 the online GUI use Qt inclucing wkhtmltopdf.Linux distributions still seem
 to be using v2.8.0 of fontconfig in many cases.  Ubuntu Qt is happy with
 v2.8.0 of fontconfig.  All my Ubuntu machines on 10.04 and 12.04 use
 fontconfig 2.8.0.  Haven't checked the new 14.04 machine yet.

-- 
------------------------------------+----------------------------------
Resolution:                         |   Keywords:
------------------------------------+----------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/ticket/254#comment:1>
xml2rfc <http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/>

---

From: "xml2rfc issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 03:24:00 -0000

Comment (by [email-masked]):

 The actual program that is failing is wkhtmltopdf.

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/ticket/254#comment:2>
xml2rfc <http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/>

---

From: "xml2rfc issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2014 13:10:44 -0000

With the reinstalled xml.resource.org the previous font problem has gone
 away to be replaced by:

 etc/wkhtmltopdf-i386: error while loading shared libraries:
 libXrender.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

 Again this is the wkhtmltopdf program used for HTML and RFCmarkup PDF
 output cases.

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/ticket/254#comment:3>
xml2rfc <http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/>

---

From: "xml2rfc issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2014 13:18:10 -0000

PS
 Not surprisingly the problem exists for both xml.resource.org and
 xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org since they are both hosted by
 zinfandel.tools.ietf.org.  Must be pressing the wrong sort of grapes ;-)

 /E

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/ticket/254#comment:4>
xml2rfc <http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/>