Subject: [xml2rfc] New xml2rfc release: 2.4.7

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2014 19:43:42 +0200

This announces the release of xml2rfc version 2.4.7, available for download
from:

   http://pypi.python.org/pypi/xml2rfc
   http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc2/cli/

The purpose of this release, coming right on the heels of 2.4.6, is
to add knowledge of alternative bibxml repositories, given that the
usual site xml.resource.org is currently down.

For full details on all tickets, there's always the issue tracker:
http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/report/.  An excerpt
from the changelog is available below.

Best regards,

	Henrik

--------

Release notes: 

xml2rfc (2.4.7) ietf; urgency=high

  This release changes the reference resolution code to try 3 different
  network hosts when trying to find bibxml reference files on the net,
  instead of trying only xml.reference.org.  It now tries, in order::

     http://xml2rfc.ietf.org/
     http://xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org/
     http://xml.reference.org/

  The next release is expected to change this to using https: instead of http:,
  but that change requires both that the resources be available over https,
  and that there's been explicit testing of access over https, something which
  is absent from the current test suite.

 -- Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>  22 May 2014 19:05:12 +0200

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2014 20:04:24 +0200

Hi again,

Sorry for the typo in the release notes below -- xml.reference.org should of
course read xml.resource.org.

	Henrik

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2014 14:44:59 -0400

> from the changelog is available below.

Perhaps you could remind me/us/the community-at-large on how to avoid
embedding xml.resources.org in our ENTITY definitions.  I think that we had
no choice with the 1.x tool... but things evolve and get better.

I didn't realize until I read this that the ideas on from this list may
already be implemented...

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2014 21:14:51 +0200

Hi Michael,

> no choice with the 1.x tool... but things evolve and get better.

Yes.  In the 2.x.x series, you can write any of these (a bare reference
file name, a file name with correct relative path, and a fully qualified
URL):

<!ENTITY RFC3552 SYSTEM "reference.RFC.3552.xml">
<!ENTITY RFC3552 SYSTEM "public/rfc/bibxml/reference.RFC.3552.xml">
<!ENTITY RFC3552 SYSTEM "http://xml.resource.org/public/rfc/bibxml/reference.RFC.3552.xml">

Additionally, you can keep or omit the '.xml' extension -- 2.x.x will
try without, and then with, if needed, if you don't give '.xml'.

For the first two above, 2.4.7 will first try to resolve the reference from
cache, then from the local file system, then from the 3 internet hosts
mentioned in the release notes.

Finally, what 2.4.7 will do, in addition to trying the 3 host names
in the release notes when you give a bare name or a relative path, is
to try to replace 'xml.resource.org' as hostname in the full URL with
xml2rfc.ietf.org and xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org, in order to find something
which is reachable.

I'm not sure the last approach is a good thing long-term, but to get us
past the current situation without upsetting the lives of all draft
writers, I thought it might help.

> already be implemented...

I'm afraid I've been under such a deluge of work lately that I haven't
managed to follow the list properly :-(

Best regards,

	Henrik

---

From: Tony Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2014 21:53:59 -0400

> managed to follow the list properly :-(

In addition, you can avoid the ENTITY definitions entirely and put the 
following:

<?rfc include='reference.RFC.3552'>

directly into the <references> section.

This avoids ALL URLs entirely.

Note: v3 may have other mechanisms.

     Tony