Subject: [xml2rfc] Line breaking in texttable

From: Sean Leonard <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2014 08:49:46 -0700

I am trying to include text in a texttable containing line breaks. The 
use case is that there are items in the left column with one-to-many 
associations in the right column.

An Internet search lead me to attempt to have multiple rows, where in 
subsequent rows, the left columns are blank and the right column 
contains one line each. The text output looks fine, but in the HTML 
output, there are thin interior borders that look poor and break the 
one-to-many association that I am trying to demonstrate.

In the current xml2rfc, <vspace> cannot appear in <c>. In 
draft-reschke-xml2rfc, <vspace> is deprecated--making it worse.

What are the options?

Thanks,

Sean

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2014 18:04:07 +0200

> In the current xml2rfc, <vspace> cannot appear in <c>. In

Yes. <texttable>s are really primitive; this is a known limitation.

> draft-reschke-xml2rfc, <vspace> is deprecated--making it worse.

It's not.

> What are the options?

Right now: I don't think there are any. In the future: provide feedback 
on the new format, which is supposed to get an entirely new table model.

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Sean Leonard <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2014 10:01:38 -0700

On 6/27/2014 9:04 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:
>> I am trying to include text in a texttable containing line breaks.
> [...]
>> What are the options?
>
> Right now: I don't think there are any. In the future: provide 
> feedback on the new format, which is supposed to get an entirely new 
> table model.

Please consider this feedback on the new format 
(draft-hoffman-xml2rfc-08), then:

Bring <vspace> back. It is useful for line breaks. It is sort of crazy 
that a basic layout feature, <br>, has been in HTML since version 2.0 
but is not allowable here. Change the RelaxNG in to state:
c =
   element c {
     (text
      | xref
      ...
      | vspace)*

If vspace is "so objectionable", then just add a <br> element.

Best regards, Sean