Subject: [xml2rfc] Selective horizontal lines between rows in <texttable>

From: Sean Leonard <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2014 00:46:13 -0700

In xml2rfc (latest version, 2.4.8), is it possible to issue selective 
horizontal lines between some rows--but not all rows--in <texttable> 
elements? I see that <texttable> has a style attribute, but that does 
not seem granular enough.

For example:

         +----------+---------------------------+-----------+
         | H1       | H2                        | H3        |
         +----------+---------------------------+-----------+
         | aaaaaaa  | description of thing      | 4         |
         | bbbbbbb  | description of thing      | 4         |
         | ccccccc  | description of thing      | 4         |
         +----------+---------------------------+-----------|
         | yyyyyyyy | description of thing      | 4         |
         | zzzzzzzz | description of thing      | 4         |
         +----------+---------------------------+-----------+

If not, what is the least messy way to achieve this?

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2014 11:45:58 +0200

> not seem granular enough.

No.

> If not, what is the least messy way to achieve this?

I'd say just don't. You would need to switch away from proper tables.

Note that a revision of the format is currently discussed, you may want 
to read <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hoffman-xml2rfc-08> and 
provide feedback.

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Tom Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2014 10:47:10 -0400

Faced with this situation I've inserted dashes manually as table content 
(i.e., <c>-</c>).

Tom Taylor

On 27/06/2014 3:46 AM, Sean Leonard wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> xml2rfc mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/xml2rfc
> .
>

---

From: Sean Leonard <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2014 08:30:18 -0700

Sounds like I am not the only person who wants this functionality.

I would like to offer two proposals for this for future xml2rfc versions:
<sep> element, which is a separator. Must occur inside <texttable> 
between cell rows.

or

<c style="sep"> Add a separator border immediately above the cell. This 
allows
each cell to have a separator. For a complete break, all <c> elements in 
the row need to have
the style="sep" attribute set.

-Sean

On 6/27/2014 7:47 AM, Tom Taylor wrote:
> Faced with this situation I've inserted dashes manually as table 
> content (i.e., <c>-</c>).
>
> Tom Taylor
>