Subject: [xml2rfc] Requesting help on erefs

From: Sam Ruby <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 06:19:24 -0500

Forgive me if this is the wrong list.

  - - -

I'm on Ubuntu, and I installed xml2rfc using apt-get.

My XML source is here:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/webspecs/url/develop/docs/url-problem-statement.xml

When I run xml2rfc --html myself, I get the following:

http://intertwingly.net/projects/pegurl/url-problem-statement.html

When I use the online version of xml2rfc.cgi, I get the following:

http://xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org/cgi-bin/xml2rfc.cgi?url=https%3A%2F%2Fraw.githubusercontent.com%2Fwebspecs%2Furl%2Fdevelop%2Fdocs%2Furl-problem-statement.xml&modeAsFormat=html%2Fascii

After I used the submission tool with the same input, the following was 
posted:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ruby-url-problem-00

Note the presence of [1], [2], [3], etc, with no corresponding entries 
in the Informative References section.  I don't get these when I run the 
tool myself.

I'm looking for two things.  One is authoring advice on how to correctly 
mark up these references.  Second is pointers to how I can reliably 
produce output myself that will match what the submission tool 
eventually posts.

  - - -

Unrelated: the third bullet in the following contains a broken link:

http://xml2rfc.ietf.org/xml2rfcFAQ.html#anchor5

- Sam Ruby

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 13:30:12 +0100

> Forgive me if this is the wrong list.

No, it's the right place.

> produce output myself that will match what the submission tool

You are using

> &lt;<eref target="https://tools.ietf.org/wg/iri/charters">https://tools.ietf.org/wg/iri/charters</eref>&gt;

which looks ok to me. You may want to try

 > <eref target="https://tools.ietf.org/wg/iri/charters"/>

In any case, what's produced by the online tool looks like a bug to me.

Best regards, Julian

PS: For generating HTML, I use rfc2629.xslt. For generating plain text, 
I still use the predecessor, which is also online at 
<http://xml2rfc.ietf.org/old.html>.