Subject: [xml2rfc] New xml2rfc release: 2.4.10

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Mar 2015 22:19:14 +0100

This announces the release of xml2rfc version 2.4.10, available for download
from:

   http://pypi.python.org/pypi/xml2rfc

This release addresses a couple of issues which has been marked as
major by the RFC Editor, and some other smaller fixes.

Release notes: 

xml2rfc (2.4.10) ietf; urgency=medium

  * Catch bad arguments to the 'needlines' processing instruction.  Fixes 
    issue #282.

  * Make sure we don't ask textwrap to wrap text with within a width of 
    zero.  Fixes issue #277.

  * Reorganized the presentation of options, and corrected some of the help 
    strings.  Marked the -f, --filename options in use for output filename as 
    deprecated.

  * Added a switch --no-network to turn off all attempts to use the network 
    to resolve references.  When using this, processing will fail if the 
    references required by the source file aren't available in the file cache.  
    Also added code to refresh cached content if it's older than 14 days.  
    Modified some tests to suit.  This closes issues #275 and #284.

  * Fixed a bug where leading whitespace in title attributes weren't 
    handled properly.  Fixes issue #274.

  * Added the attribute quote-title (default: true) to schema and writers, 
    and updated the tests accordingly.  Fixes issue #283.

For full details on all tickets, there's always the issue tracker:
http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/report/.

Best regards,

	Henrik

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2015 09:41:37 -0700

G'day.

I'm clearly using the wrong convention, for citing a URL in a
<references> section.

At some point, I thought I saw guidance that said I should do something
like:

         <reference anchor="WG">
            <front>
               <title>Working Groups</title>
               <author />
               <date />
            </front>
            <seriesInfo name="WEB" value="http://www.ietf.org/wg/" />
         </reference>

But the results are awful.

What is the preferred (required?) <reference> template?

d/

-- 
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking
bbiw.net

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2015 10:25:03 -0700

> What is the preferred (required?) <reference> template?

It seems people like:

        <reference anchor="WG" target="http://www.ietf.org/wg/">
           <front>
              <title>Working Groups</title>
              <author />
              <date />
           </front>
        </reference>

--Paul Hoffman

---

From: Stewart Bryant <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2015 17:29:56 +0000

> What is the preferred (required?) <reference> template?

This text:

    [PALS]     The IETF, "The PALS Working Group, https://
               datatracker.ietf.org/wg/pals/documents/ ", 2015.

was generated by

      <reference anchor="PALS">
         <front>
           <title>The PALS Working Group, 
https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/pals/documents/
           </title>

           <author>
             <organization>The IETF</organization>
           </author>

           <date year="2015" />
         </front>
       </reference>

- Stewart

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2015 09:19:06 -0700

>               <title>Working Groups</title>

Yeah, that produces good results, while keeping the pieces of
information in the reference separate.

This is worth noting in xml2rfc docs.

tnx.

d/

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2015 16:40:20 -0700

> This is worth noting in xml2rfc docs.

For v2, Julian can add a note to this effect to his document.

For v3, <seriesInfo> is now deprecated for references, so the target is the only logical place to put the URL. If you have specific wording that I can add to make that clearer to draft-hoffman-xml2rfc, that would be grand.

--Paul Hoffman