Subject: Re: [xml2rfc] #287 (Version 2 cli): missing line breaks in list in NROFF output

From: "xml2rfc issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2015 17:44:06 -0000

#287: missing line breaks in list in NROFF output

Changes (by [email-masked]):

 * priority:  medium => major

-- 
------------------------------+----------------------------------
  Reporter:  [email-masked]  |      Owner:  [email-masked]
      Type:  defect           |     Status:  new
  Priority:  major            |  Milestone:
 Component:  Version 2 cli    |    Version:  2.4.x
Resolution:                   |   Keywords:
------------------------------+----------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/ticket/287#comment:1>
xml2rfc <http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/>

---

From: "xml2rfc issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 16:11:01 -0000

Comment (by [email-masked]):

 Ok, I've identified where this fails, and should be able to insert the
 appropriate nroff command, but I'm not sure what the correct nroff should
 look like.  Could you provide a sample?  I might guess at something like
 the following, but guessing isn't quite the thing to do here ,:-)

 {{{
 Here is a list:
 .in 6

 apples
 .br
 bananas
 .br
 cherries
 .br
 dates
 }}}

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/ticket/287#comment:2>
xml2rfc <http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/>

---

From: "xml2rfc issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 16:40:49 -0000

Comment (by [email-masked]):

 The v1 nroff processor would repeat the .in indent command. (Actually, v1
 uses a combination of .in and .ti [temporary indent].)

 When the list has blank lines between, they are done using a blank line in
 the input.
 For example,
 {{{
 .ti 3
 apples
 .ti 3
 bananas
 .ti 3
 cherries
 .ti 3
 dates
 }}}

 or

 {{{
 .ti 3
 apples

 .ti 3
 bananas

 .ti 3
 cherries

 .ti 3
 dates
 }}}

 The use of .in and .ti should be considered equivalent. (The leading dot
 in each command is an implicit .br.)

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/ticket/287#comment:3>
xml2rfc <http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/>

---

From: "xml2rfc issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 18:07:52 -0000

Ok.  Is the use of .ti 3 (or .ti 6, or .ti N) a must, or would .br work,
 too?  To me, the use of .ti N in addition to the current .in  in front of
 the list looks a lot more hacky than using just .br, and in addition to
 that the code to produce it becomes more complex than for .br , since I
 then have to make the indentation level available at the place where .ti
 would be inserted, which is a different place than where the .in N is
 handled.

 No big deal, but I'd like to understand and not make things more
 complicated and less readable if it's all the same ,:-)

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/ticket/287#comment:4>
xml2rfc <http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/>

---

From: "xml2rfc issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 20:54:19 -0000

I believe that using .br would work fine. And if you need a blank line
 between, then use .sp instead.

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/ticket/287#comment:5>
xml2rfc <http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/>

---

From: "xml2rfc issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 20:55:55 -0000

(I always thought that the v1 nroff code spent WAY too much effort trying
 to keep indentations correct and could have been simplified drastically.)

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/ticket/287#comment:6>
xml2rfc <http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/>

---

From: "xml2rfc issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 20:58:55 -0000

Comment (by [email-masked]):

 I agree that .br seems fine. (AFAIK, the issue here is only when
 subcompact="yes", so .sp is not an option.)

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/ticket/287#comment:7>
xml2rfc <http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/>

---

From: "xml2rfc issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2015 17:21:56 -0000

Changes (by [email-masked]):

 * status:  new => closed
 * resolution:   => fixed

Comment:

 Fixed in [1885]:

 Modified the nroff table output for PI subcompact=yes so as to produce a
 list, rather than a paragraph of run-together list entries.  Fixes issue
 #287.

-- 
------------------------------+----------------------------------
  Reporter:  [email-masked]  |      Owner:  [email-masked]
      Type:  defect           |     Status:  closed
  Priority:  major            |  Milestone:
 Component:  Version 2 cli    |    Version:  2.4.x
Resolution:  fixed            |   Keywords:
------------------------------+----------------------------------

Ticket URL: </ticket/287#comment:8>
xml2rfc <http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/>