Subject: [xml2rfc] #292 (Version 2 cli): subcompact oddity when turned on/off multiple times

From: "xml2rfc issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 17:18:33 -0000

#292: subcompact oddity when turned on/off multiple times

 It seems the PI subcompact="no" is being disregarded when there is more
 than one instance of setting subcompact within the file (and some other
 condition that I don't know).

 Background: In general, the RPC uses compact="yes" and subcompact="no" to
 get a blank line between list items, but there are situations where the
 preference is to turn subcompact on/off within a document. In this
 specific case, the author chose to do that. (With v1, it could be turned
 on/off within a file. And I thought this worked with a past v2 release,
 but it doesn't work with 2.4.10 or 2.4.12.)

 Attached files:
 a) draft-jwa.original.xml (as submitted by the author of draft-ietf-jose-
 json-web-algorithms-40.txt)

 b) draft-jwa.stripped.xml (I removed all the subsequent subcompact PIs --
 and then the output is as desired.)

 c) sample.xml (It works fine in a short doc with a couple instances of
 turning it on/off.)

 In the text output from (a):

 {{{
   1.  Generate a digital signature of the JWS Signing Input using ECDSA
       P-256 SHA-256 with the desired private key.  The output will be
       the pair (R, S), where R and S are 256 bit unsigned integers.
   2.  Turn R and S into octet sequences in big endian order, with each
       array being be 32 octets long.  The octet sequence
       representations MUST NOT be shortened to omit any leading zero
       octets contained in the values.
   3.  Concatenate the two octet sequences in the order R and then S.
       (Note that many ECDSA implementations will directly produce this
       concatenation as their output.)
   4.  The resulting 64 octet sequence is the JWS Signature value.
 }}}

 Desired output (and as it was in draft-ietf-jose-json-web-
 algorithms-40.txt -- which presumably was made using draft-
 jwa.original.xml )

 {{{
   1.  Generate a digital signature of the JWS Signing Input using ECDSA
       P-256 SHA-256 with the desired private key.  The output will be
       the pair (R, S), where R and S are 256 bit unsigned integers.

   2.  Turn R and S into octet sequences in big endian order, with each
       array being be 32 octets long.  The octet sequence
       representations MUST NOT be shortened to omit any leading zero
       octets contained in the values.

   3.  Concatenate the two octet sequences in the order R and then S.
       (Note that many ECDSA implementations will directly produce this
       concatenation as their output.)

   4.  The resulting 64 octet sequence is the JWS Signature value.
 }}}

-- 
-----------------------------+----------------------------------
 Reporter:  [email-masked]  |      Owner:  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect           |     Status:  new
 Priority:  medium           |  Milestone:
Component:  Version 2 cli    |    Version:  2.4.x
 Keywords:                   |
-----------------------------+----------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/ticket/292>
xml2rfc <http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/>