Subject: Re: [xml2rfc] #286 (Version 2 cli): No output with missing month in date

From: "xml2rfc issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2015 14:47:34 -0000

#286: No output with missing month in date

Comment (by [email-masked]):

 FWIW, the v2 behavior matches v1 (TCL).

 The XSLT code tries to emit a warning and will continue to process the
 file.

-- 
---------------------------------------+----------------------------------
  Reporter:  [email-masked]  |      Owner:  [email-masked]
      Type:  defect                    |     Status:  new
  Priority:  medium                    |  Milestone:
 Component:  Version 2 cli             |    Version:  2.4.x
Resolution:                            |   Keywords:
---------------------------------------+----------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/ticket/286#comment:1>
xml2rfc <http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/>

---

From: "xml2rfc issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2015 18:47:15 -0000

Changes (by [email-masked]):

 * component:  Version 2 cli => Version 2 gui

Comment:

 Replying to [ticket:286 srdonovan@…]:
 > When date does not contain a month parameter the xml2rfc tool does the
 following:
 >
 > When using frames the following is output:
 >
 > The file is not there -- check for error messages or you may have
 clicked reload

 And the error messages say, if you scroll in the error frame:

 WARNING: No DTD given, defaulting to /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-
 packages/xml2rfc/templates/rfc2629.dtd
 WARNING: Incomplete and out-of date <date/> element: <date year="2010"/>

 This is followed by an exception; and that will be fixed.  However, the
 major issue
 here is that the web GUI is hard to interpret.
 >
 > When using windows nothing is output.

 Also an issue with the web GUI :-(

 > When writing to a file and empty file is created.

 Well, this is incomplete.  With an out-of-date year, that's what happens.
 With the current year provided, a text file with the current date is
 created.

 What is the correct action when an out-of-date year is given, and no month
 or day?
 I think it should give an error message, not create an exception, and not
 create
 a draft (as it would have a completely fictional date for the given year).

 Component:  Version 2 gui             |    Version:  2.4.x

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/ticket/286#comment:2>
xml2rfc <http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/>

---

From: "xml2rfc issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2015 19:24:40 -0000

I believe a hard error with a clear error message is the best thing to do.

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/ticket/286#comment:3>
xml2rfc <http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/>