Subject: [xml2rfc] #303 (Version 2 cli): ability to turn multiple-initials PI on and off

From: "xml2rfc issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2015 22:39:05 -0000

#303: ability to turn multiple-initials PI on and off

 This is a request for the ability to turn the multiple-initials PI on and
 off within a document. Ideally, it could be set to yes for a specific
 author element. Also, when using the multiple-initials PI, please handle
 the final period correctly.

 Example: When inserting a reference to RFC 5989, the desired output is a
 reference for RFC 5989 that has the author's initials as they appear in
 the first-page header of the RFC ("A.B. Roach").

 XML (reference.RFC.5989.xml) contains
 {{{
 <author initials='A.B.' surname='Roach' fullname='A.B.
 Roach'><organization/></author>
 }}}

 v2 output
 {{{
    [RFC5989]  Roach, A., "A SIP Event Package for Subscribing to Changes
               to an HTTP Resource", RFC 5989, DOI 10.17487/RFC5989,
               October 2010, <http://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc5989>.
 }}}

 desired output
 {{{
    [RFC5989]  Roach, A.B., "A SIP Event Package for Subscribing to
               Changes to an HTTP Resource", RFC 5989, DOI 10.17487/
               RFC5989, October 2010,
               <http://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc5989>.
 }}}

 In the XML file if multiple-initials PI is turned on and off around the
 reference, there is no change to the output (see example_mult_on_off.xml).

 In the XML file multiple-initials PI is turned on before the reference,
 the output inserts a space and an extra period. Expectation was that it
 would exactly match the initials attribute in the XML (which does not
 contain a space).
 {{{
    [RFC5989]  Roach, A. B. ., "A SIP Event Package for Subscribing to
               Changes to an HTTP Resource", RFC 5989, DOI 10.17487/
               RFC5989, October 2010,
               <http://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc5989>.
 }}}

 Also, it affects author elements in the whole document (see
 example_mult.txt).

 Here's a related comment from a couple years ago:
 http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/ticket/138#comment:5

-- 
-----------------------------+----------------------------------
 Reporter:  [email-masked]  |      Owner:  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect           |     Status:  new
 Priority:  major            |  Milestone:
Component:  Version 2 cli    |    Version:  2.4.x
 Keywords:                   |
-----------------------------+----------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/ticket/303>
xml2rfc <http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/>

---

From: "xml2rfc issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2015 05:13:44 -0000

Comment (by [email-masked]):

 Instead of adding workarounds on top of workarounds, by all means fix the
 initials policy.

-- 
------------------------------+----------------------------------
Resolution:                   |   Keywords:
------------------------------+----------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/ticket/303#comment:1>
xml2rfc <http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/>