Subject: Re: [xml2rfc] #303 (Version 2 cli): ability to turn multiple-initials PI on and off

From: "xml2rfc issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2015 15:01:33 -0000

#303: ability to turn multiple-initials PI on and off

Changes (by [email-masked]):

 * status:  new => assigned

Comment:

 It turns out that this requires a complete rewrite of the reference
 handling in xml2rfc.  The current code doesn't even notice the presence of
 PIs within <references/>, because it doesn't iterate through the elements;
 instead it just picks out first the <reference/>
 elements (without their context) and then from within the <reference/>
 elements it picks
 title, date, authors, seriesInfo etc., again without their context.  This
 has to be
 re-written to iterate through all of the elements, including PIs, and
 rendering each
 element in its context, in order to honour the PIs.

-- 
------------------------------+----------------------------------
  Reporter:  [email-masked]  |      Owner:  [email-masked]
      Type:  defect           |     Status:  assigned
  Priority:  major            |  Milestone:
 Component:  Version 2 cli    |    Version:  2.4.x
Resolution:                   |   Keywords:
------------------------------+----------------------------------

Ticket URL: <https://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/ticket/303#comment:2>
xml2rfc <http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/>

---

From: Martin J. Dürst <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 14:45:36 +0900

[I have been trying to comment on the tracker, but that didn't work, so 
I'm going to send my comment here directly in email.]

>   title, date, authors, seriesInfo etc., again without their context.

This is the usual way to do things in XML. PIs have a bad name in the 
XML community, not many people are using them. The way we have been 
using them in XML2RFC (at the start of the document) is relatively 
harmless, but this issue shows why PIs have such a bad name.

>   This

Before going there, please let's consider how we can avoid such a kludgy 
implementation. One simple idea would be to use an additional attribute 
on the <author> element.

Regards,   Martin.

---

From: "xml2rfc issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2015 04:04:44 -0000

Comment (by [email-masked]):

 What is the reasoning behind making this a per citation rather than a
 global PI?

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/ticket/303#comment:3>
xml2rfc <http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/>

---

From: "xml2rfc issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2015 04:27:30 -0000

Style guide does not provide the necessary guidance as it it always setup
 for just using a single initial.

 cases to consider for single and multiple initials:
 <author initials="" surname="Doe"/>
 <author initials="J" surname="Doe"/>
 <author initials="J." surname="Doe"/>
 <author initials="J.A." surname="Doe"/>
 <author initials="J. A." surname="Doe"/>
 <author initials="J A" surname="Doe"/>
 <author initials="J. A" surname="Doe"/>
 <author initials="J A." surname="Doe"/>

 May also want to look at trailing spaces

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/ticket/303#comment:4>
xml2rfc <http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/>