Subject: Re: [xml2rfc] #303 (Version 2 cli): ability to turn multiple-initials PI on and off

From: "xml2rfc issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Nov 2015 22:45:43 -0000

#303: ability to turn multiple-initials PI on and off

Changes (by [email-masked]):

 * status:  assigned => closed
 * resolution:   => fixed

Comment:

 Per conversation with RFC Editor.

 We now deal with multiple initials correctly.  The PI has been removed so
 that multiple initials are always on by default.  The decision was made
 that initials should always be separated by a period and a space character
 when formatted,but may be placed with or without a space in the xml.  The
 string 'ABC' is not treated as separate initials but is treated as a
 format error.

-- 
------------------------------+----------------------------------
  Reporter:  [email-masked]  |      Owner:  [email-masked]
      Type:  defect           |     Status:  closed
  Priority:  major            |  Milestone:
 Component:  Version 2 cli    |    Version:  2.4.x
Resolution:  fixed            |   Keywords:
------------------------------+----------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/ticket/303#comment:5>
xml2rfc <http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/>

---

From: "xml2rfc issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2015 05:28:52 -0000

Changes (by [email-masked]):

 * status:  closed => reopened
 * resolution:  fixed =>

Comment:

 No, this doesn't work.  It essentially changes the default for this PI,
 which potentially changes the resulting output when run on the xml file
 for any existing draft or RFC.  I don't think this kind of breakage is
 acceptable outside of a major revision change, and then only after
 thorough consideration of both benefits and drawbacks.

 I've worked out an approach which will let us capture and use the inline
 PI information
 in all cases, also those who pick out information snippets without
 iterating through elements, and will implement that.  This will bring in
 the desired behaviour for this PI (and any others which applies to content
 which is handled without iterating through all source eleemnts).

      Type:  defect           |     Status:  reopened
Resolution:                   |   Keywords:

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/ticket/303#comment:6>
xml2rfc <http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/>

---

From: "xml2rfc issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2015 05:44:12 -0000

Comment (by [email-masked]):

 I agree with Henrik that we can't just change the default behavior.

 What we could do though is introduce a global switch (PI), and make the
 default depend on some cutover date (so only new specs get the new
 default)

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/ticket/303#comment:7>
xml2rfc <http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/>