Subject: [xml2rfc] Last author is first name first

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2016 15:16:42 -0500

I just noticed...

that in the references, the last author is first name first.  e.g.:

    [RFC3095]  Bormann, C., Burmeister, C., Degermark, M., Fukushima, H.,
               Hannu, H., Jonsson, L-E., Hakenberg, R., Koren, T., Le,
               K., Liu, Z., Martensson, A., Miyazaki, A., Svanbro, K.,
               Wiebke, T., Yoshimura, T., and H. Zheng, "RObust Header
               Compression (ROHC): Framework and four profiles: RTP, UDP,
               ESP, and uncompressed", RFC 3095, DOI 10.17487/RFC3095,
               July 2001, <http://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc3095>.

Is this the correct format?

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2016 21:33:14 +0100

> Is this the correct format?

Yes.

---

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2016 16:15:50 -0500

>> Is this the correct format?
Just reads weird to me.  But then I am not a writing style expert...

thanks

---

From: William Atwood <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2016 16:23:18 -0500

> Just reads weird to me.  But then I am not a writing style expert...

I have seen this style many times, and (like Robert) it has always
puzzled me.  Can anyone tell me why is it considered "correct"?  It
certainly is not "consistent".

  Bill

-- 

Dr. J.W. Atwood, Eng.             tel:   +1 (514) 848-2424 x3046
Distinguished Professor Emeritus  fax:   +1 (514) 848-2830
Department of Computer Science
   and Software Engineering
Concordia University EV 3.185     email:[email-masked]
1455 de Maisonneuve Blvd. West    http://users.encs.concordia.ca/~bill
Montreal, Quebec Canada H3G 1M8

---

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2016 16:39:16 -0500

> certainly is not "consistent".

It is probably in some bibliography style sheet that all that edit 
technical papers know they had best follow.

Many weird things in style books.  Read the book, "Eats, Shoots, and 
Leaves"  :)

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2016 22:42:12 +0100

> certainly is not "consistent".

That's a question for rfc-interest, not xml2rfc (xml2rfc just outputs 
what the RFC Editor wants to see).

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2016 16:22:39 -0700

> Is this the correct format?

Checked several RFC's. All that I found did that. Odd to me.

Maybe its to avoid saying (H.) followed by the period:

		Zheng, H..

-- 

Doug Royer - (http://DougRoyer.US)
[email-masked]
714-989-6135