Subject: [xml2rfc] Some ID references require version, some don't

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2016 11:48:10 -0500

I have just noticed that some ID references do not need the version 
number.  For example:

      <?rfc include="reference.I-D.ietf-hip-rfc4423-bis.xml"?>

where as others need the version:

     <?rfc include="reference.I-D.draft-ietf-dots-requirements-00.xml"?>
     <?rfc include="reference.I-D.draft-kivinen-ipsecme-oob-pubkey-14.xml"?>

Why is that?  What has to be done so that version number is not needed?

thanks

---

From: William Atwood <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2016 12:44:20 -0500

Robert,

I believe that it is the choice of the writer of the document.  If you
put the include without the version number, you will get the latest one,
i.e., it will "automatically" update to the most recent one, each time
that you compile.

If you put the specific version, it will always bring up exactly that.
The only time that this is useful is when you have to refer to a
specific version of the draft.  (For example, when taking about
something that has been deleted from some later version.)

  Bill

On 28/01/2016 11:48 AM, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> xml2rfc mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/xml2rfc

-- 

Dr. J.W. Atwood, Eng.             tel:   +1 (514) 848-2424 x3046
Distinguished Professor Emeritus  fax:   +1 (514) 848-2830
Department of Computer Science
   and Software Engineering
Concordia University EV 3.185     email:[email-masked]
1455 de Maisonneuve Blvd. West    http://users.encs.concordia.ca/~bill
Montreal, Quebec Canada H3G 1M8

---

From: "HANSEN, TONY L" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2016 17:50:12 +0000

Bill, you are correct. References to individual versions are available using “reference.I-D.draft-....” names, and references to the “latest and greatest” are available using “reference.I-D....” names.

	Tony

---

From: William Atwood <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2016 13:01:15 -0500

Aha,

I missed the need for "draft-" when looking for a specific version.

Thank you for the confirmation.

  Bill

--

---

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2016 13:18:38 -0500

Does not seem to work.

I changed:

     <?rfc include="reference.I-D.draft-moskowitz-sse-01.xml"?>

     <?rfc include="reference.I-D.draft-moskowitz-sse.xml"?>

and got:

Unable to Validate File

ERROR: Unable to parse the XML document: INPUT
  INPUT: Line 331: Unable to resolve external request: 
"reference.I-D.draft-moskowitz-sse.xml"

Using 
XML_LIBRARY=/home/www/tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/web/public/rfc/bibxml:/home/www/tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/web/public/rfc/bibxml2:/home/www/tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/web/public/rfc/bibxml3:/home/www/tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/web/public/rfc/bibxml4:/home/www/tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/web/public/rfc/bibxml5:/home/www/tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/web/public/rfc/bibxml6
Parsing file INPUT
Resolving entity... 
/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/xml2rfc-2.5.1.dev0-py2.7.egg/xml2rfc/templates/rfc2629.dtd
Resolving entity... 
/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/xml2rfc-2.5.1.dev0-py2.7.egg/xml2rfc/templates/rfc2629-xhtml.ent
Resolving entity... 
/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/xml2rfc-2.5.1.dev0-py2.7.egg/xml2rfc/templates/rfc2629-other.ent
Resolving entity... 
/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/xml2rfc-2.5.1.dev0-py2.7.egg/xml2rfc/templates/rfc2629.dtd
Resolving entity... 
/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/xml2rfc-2.5.1.dev0-py2.7.egg/xml2rfc/templates/rfc2629-xhtml.ent
Resolving entity... 
/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/xml2rfc-2.5.1.dev0-py2.7.egg/xml2rfc/templates/rfc2629-other.ent
Resolving include... 
/home/www/tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/web/public/rfc/bibxml/reference.RFC.2119.xml
Resolving include... 
/home/www/tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/web/public/rfc/bibxml/reference.RFC.1421.xml
Resolving include... 
/home/www/tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/web/public/rfc/bibxml/reference.RFC.2784.xml
Resolving include... 
/home/www/tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/web/public/rfc/bibxml/reference.RFC.3095.xml
Resolving include... 
/home/www/tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/web/public/rfc/bibxml/reference.RFC.4303.xml
Resolving include... 
/home/www/tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/web/public/rfc/bibxml/reference.RFC.5996.xml
Resolving include... 
/home/www/tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/web/public/rfc/bibxml/reference.RFC.7401.xml
Resolving include... 
/home/www/tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/web/public/rfc/bibxml3/reference.I-D.draft-ietf-dots-requirements-00.xml
Resolving include... 
http://xml2rfc.ietf.org/public/rfc/bibxml/reference.I-D.draft-moskowitz-sse.xml
URL retrieval failed with status code 404 for 
'http://xml2rfc.ietf.org/public/rfc/bibxml/reference.I-D.draft-moskowitz-sse.xml'
Resolving include... 
http://xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org/public/rfc/bibxml/reference.I-D.draft-moskowitz-sse.xml
URL retrieval failed with status code 404 for 
'http://xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org/public/rfc/bibxml/reference.I-D.draft-moskowitz-sse.xml'
Resolving include... 
http://xml.resource.org/public/rfc/bibxml/reference.I-D.draft-moskowitz-sse.xml
URL retrieval failed with status code 404 for 
'http://xml2rfc.ietf.org/public/rfc/bibxml/reference.I-D.draft-moskowitz-sse.xml'
Resolving include... 
http://xml2rfc.ietf.org/public/rfc/bibxml2/reference.I-D.draft-moskowitz-sse.xml
URL retrieval failed with status code 404 for 
'http://xml2rfc.ietf.org/public/rfc/bibxml2/reference.I-D.draft-moskowitz-sse.xml'
Resolving include... 
http://xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org/public/rfc/bibxml2/reference.I-D.draft-moskowitz-sse.xml
URL retrieval failed with status code 404 for 
'http://xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org/public/rfc/bibxml2/reference.I-D.draft-moskowitz-sse.xml'
Resolving include... 
http://xml.resource.org/public/rfc/bibxml2/reference.I-D.draft-moskowitz-sse.xml
URL retrieval failed with status code 404 for 
'http://xml2rfc.ietf.org/public/rfc/bibxml2/reference.I-D.draft-moskowitz-sse.xml'
Resolving include... 
http://xml2rfc.ietf.org/public/rfc/bibxml3/reference.I-D.draft-moskowitz-sse.xml
URL retrieval failed with status code 404 for 
'http://xml2rfc.ietf.org/public/rfc/bibxml3/reference.I-D.draft-moskowitz-sse.xml'
Resolving include... 
http://xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org/public/rfc/bibxml3/reference.I-D.draft-moskowitz-sse.xml
URL retrieval failed with status code 404 for 
'http://xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org/public/rfc/bibxml3/reference.I-D.draft-moskowitz-sse.xml'
Resolving include... 
http://xml.resource.org/public/rfc/bibxml3/reference.I-D.draft-moskowitz-sse.xml
URL retrieval failed with status code 404 for 
'http://xml2rfc.ietf.org/public/rfc/bibxml3/reference.I-D.draft-moskowitz-sse.xml'
Resolving include... 
http://xml2rfc.ietf.org/public/rfc/bibxml4/reference.I-D.draft-moskowitz-sse.xml
URL retrieval failed with status code 404 for 
'http://xml2rfc.ietf.org/public/rfc/bibxml4/reference.I-D.draft-moskowitz-sse.xml'
Resolving include... 
http://xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org/public/rfc/bibxml4/reference.I-D.draft-moskowitz-sse.xml
URL retrieval failed with status code 404 for 
'http://xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org/public/rfc/bibxml4/reference.I-D.draft-moskowitz-sse.xml'
Resolving include... 
http://xml.resource.org/public/rfc/bibxml4/reference.I-D.draft-moskowitz-sse.xml
URL retrieval failed with status code 404 for 
'http://xml2rfc.ietf.org/public/rfc/bibxml4/reference.I-D.draft-moskowitz-sse.xml'
Resolving include... 
http://xml2rfc.ietf.org/public/rfc/bibxml5/reference.I-D.draft-moskowitz-sse.xml
URL retrieval failed with status code 404 for 
'http://xml2rfc.ietf.org/public/rfc/bibxml5/reference.I-D.draft-moskowitz-sse.xml'
Resolving include... 
http://xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org/public/rfc/bibxml5/reference.I-D.draft-moskowitz-sse.xml
URL retrieval failed with status code 404 for 
'http://xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org/public/rfc/bibxml5/reference.I-D.draft-moskowitz-sse.xml'
Resolving include... 
http://xml.resource.org/public/rfc/bibxml5/reference.I-D.draft-moskowitz-sse.xml
URL retrieval failed with status code 404 for 
'http://xml2rfc.ietf.org/public/rfc/bibxml5/reference.I-D.draft-moskowitz-sse.xml'

---

From: "HANSEN, TONY L" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2016 18:28:45 +0000

Change <?rfc include="reference.I-D.draft-moskowitz-sse.xml”?> to <?rfc include=“reference.I-D.moskowitz-sse.xml”?>

(The series names do not start with “draft-”.

---

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2016 13:48:01 -0500

> (The series names do not start with “draft-”.

Got it!  I read your earlier response backwards.  I will blame my 
dyslexia.  :)

One more thing learned and cleaned up.

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2016 07:59:19 +1300

Bob,
On 29/01/2016 05:48, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> I have just noticed that some ID references do not need the version number.  For example:
> 

s/draft-//

<?rfc include="reference.I-D.ietf-dots-requirements.xml"?>
<?rfc include="reference.I-D.kivinen-ipsecme-oob-pubkey.xml"?>

A mistake I have made a million times ;-)

     Brian