Subject: [xml2rfc] Table width & indent

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2016 10:50:36 +0900

G'day,

xml2rfc produces a nicely-formatted table in the txt document.  And 
pProperly within margins.

For html, xml2rfc does /not/ produce the table within margins.  Instead 
it uses the full line width.

Table setup is:

          <texttable style="all">
           <ttcol>Criteria</ttcol>
           <ttcol width="20%" >Required</ttcol>

I'm also interested in being able to indent the table, the way a list is 
indented, and possibly make the right-hand-side more indented too. Can't 
find anything that accomplishes this.

Thoughts?

d/
-- 

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking
   bbiw.net

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2016 11:01:50 +0900

On 16 Nov 2016, at 10:50, Dave Crocker <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> For html, xml2rfc does /not/ produce the table within margins.  Instead it uses the full line width.

My advice would be: Do not use xml2rfc for generating HTML (except maybe for playing around).
There are so many bugs there I don’t know where to start.

Julian has a much nicer tool for generating HTML from XML, and we should all use that.

Grüße, Carsten

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2016 11:04:27 +0900

> Julian has a much nicer tool for generating HTML from XML, and we should all use that.

My primary mechanism is to do exactly that, using Julian's files, via 
oXygen.

Alas, it produces the same result as xml2rfc.ietf.org...

d/
-- 

   Dave Crocker

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2016 03:39:48 +0100

> it uses the full line width.

Clarifying: on the left side, it aligns with the section number, not 
other material, like the sibling paragraphs?

That's a bug in the CSS.

> find anything that accomplishes this.

Nope, we don't have anything for that.

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2016 11:41:58 +0900

> other material, like the sibling paragraphs?

ack.

oh goodie.

I was hoping you had a more recent file that might have fixed it.

thanks for looking.

d/

-- 

   Dave Crocker

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2016 06:11:56 +0100

> I was hoping you had a more recent file that might have fixed it.

I'm in the process of fixing it for rfc2629.xslt...

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2016 07:23:34 +0100

> Julian has a much nicer tool for generating HTML from XML, and we should all use that.

Thanks for the flowers.

As I already said, my code didn't handle margins for tables correctly, 
but this is hopefully fixed now.

While we're at it: rfc2629.xslt allows you to play with many v3 features 
right now. See 
<https://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2629xslt/rfc2629xslt.html> for 
more information.

Best regards, Julian