Subject: [xml2rfc] RNG file for XML2RFCv3 ?

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2018 17:22:28 +1200

Hi,

RFC7991 contains the compact Relax NG (RNC) for the v3 format, but I was
playing with my favourite XML editor and it requires the full XML version.
Does anybody have the RNG file to hand?

(I tried the only RNC2RNG converter I could find, and it failed with a
Python run-time error.)

Thanks
    Brian

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2018 11:07:10 +0200

Hi Brian,

> Does anybody have the RNG file to hand?

While working on the v2v3 converter, preptool, and text converter parts
of xml2rfc, under contract, I've also needed this.  I've also found that
there are deficiencies in the schema for which I have proposed changes.

I've converted the original .rnc file to xml-format rng, and checked it in
to the xml2rfc SVN repository, http://svn.tools.ietf.org/svn/tools/xml2rfc/

The latest iteration I've checked in of the xml-format schema is here:

   http://svn.tools.ietf.org/svn/tools/xml2rfc/personal/henrik/text/cli/xml2rfc/data/v3.rng

For earlier conversions, I'd suggest you go via the Trac source browser;
you could start here:

   https://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/log/trunk/cli/xml2rfc/data/v3.rng

The earliest entry is the closest I have to a conversion of the original
v3 schema as given in the RFC:

   https://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/browser/personal/henrik/idv2v3/xml2rfc/data/v3.rng?rev=2344

There's a link at the bottom that will take you to downloadable version:

   https://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/export/2344/personal/henrik/idv2v3/xml2rfc/data/v3.rng

> (I tried the only RNC2RNG converter I could find, and it failed with a

I've been using a tool called 'trang' to convert between .rnc and .rng

Best regards,

	Henrik

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2018 18:00:56 +0200

On 2018-06-10 11:07, Henrik Levkowetz wrote:
> ...

Yes, that's the one to use.

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2018 08:52:37 +1200

> Yes, that's the one to use.

Thanks, I saw a mention of that but it seemed more complex to install than rnc2rng.
Apparently it has the advantage of working correctly.

Using Henrik's latest version (plus SVG-1.2-RFC.rng), plus a manual work-around
for a known bug in XML Copy Editor, I persuaded XML Copy Editor to validate
draft-hoffman-v3-sample-upd.xml against the Relax NG. It works OK, but it's
a bit clumsy. I might have to find a better XML editor when the time comes
for v3.

    Brian

---

From: "Andrew G. Malis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2018 10:12:44 -0400

Brian,

Use KramDown, it’s great! Much easier than editing XML.

If you want to play with it without installing it locally, you can run it
remotely via https://xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org/experimental.html .

Let me know if you would like me to send you one of my own draft sources,
if you would like to program by example. :-) Or there’s an example source
template at
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/martinthomson/i-d-template/master/doc/example.md
.

Cheers,
Andy

On Sun, Jun 10, 2018 at 4:52 PM, Brian E Carpenter <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> xml2rfc mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/xml2rfc
>