Subject: [xml2rfc] #344 (Version 2 cli): Problems with needLines in xml2rfc

From: "xml2rfc issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2018 19:17:47 -0000

#344: Problems with needLines in xml2rfc

 Problem 1: Incorrect documentation and/or incorrect behavior

   https://xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org/xml2rfcFAQ.html

   > I like nroff. How do nroff commands relate to xml2rfc?
   > .bp      <?rfc needLines="100" ?>

   With xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org, experience is that any value > 49
   is ignored when converting to txt format.

   Example: create artwork e.g.: 45 lines long, 47 with title.
   When using value of 100, no page greak happens. When using
   value 47, page break will happen.

 Problem 2: Illogical  behavior

   Maximum size of artwork including two lines for title converting
   to txt RFC tht fits a page seems to be 48.  When trying to
   use an artwork 49 or more lines, the hard to troubleshoot behavior
   is that no page break happens at all.

   It would be a lot easier to troubleshoot for a user if
   nonwithstanding the size of the artwork (or any other
   xml object) following, needlines would insert a page break
   if there are fewer lines available for rendering on the current
   page than the requested needLines. With an artwork too
   long, it would then start on the next apge and overflow from
   there, so immediately obvious what the problem is.

-- 
---------------------------+----------------------------------
 Reporter:  [email-masked]  |      Owner:  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect         |     Status:  new
 Priority:  medium         |  Milestone:
Component:  Version 2 cli  |    Version:  2.4.x
 Keywords:                 |
---------------------------+----------------------------------

Ticket URL: <https://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/ticket/344>
xml2rfc <http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/>