Subject: [xml2rfc] New xml2rfc release: v2.10.0

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2018 12:34:47 -0700

Hi,

This is an automatic notification about a new xml2rfc release, 
v2.10.0, generated when running the mkrelease script.

Release notes:

xml2rfc (2.10.0) ietf; urgency=medium

  This release introduces the vocabulary v3 text formatter.  In order to
  invoke this formatter, use the regular --text switch for text output, and
  add the --v3 switch to specify the v3 text formatter.

  Xml2rfc in v3 text formatter mode accepts any valid xml2rfc input file, but
  since the actual formatter only understands the XML elements and attributes
  which have not been deprecated by RFC7991, it first applies the xml2rfc v2v3
  converter in order to transform any deprecated markup to the elements and
  attributes it understands, and then applies the preptool in order to
  normalize the input before it starts rendering.

  This is the first release of the v3 text formatter, and there are some
  known rough edges and deficiencies:

  - The current table output renders all table borders.  This differs from
    the v2 formatter, and will be remedied in a later release.  The reason
    for doing the first release with this rendering of tables is that the
    table layout options have changed substantially with the possibility of
    using rowspans, and the table layout code is much more complex than for v2
    as a consequence.  With all table borders visible, the initial testing of
    the layout code has been easier than if horizontal borders were not
    rendered.

  - The statement of work for the text formatter coding does not include
    paginated output, and as a consequence the Table of Contents is much less
    informative than it would be if it was able to show the page for each ToC
    entry.

  - The xml2rfc v3 vocabulary (RFC 7991) does not provide 'align' attributes
    for tables, which means that the ability to center and right-align tables
    is lost.  All tables are left-aligned. (Alignment of text within each cell
    is still supported, though.)

  - The index generation (using <iref> elements) has some known issues, which
    will also be fixed in a subsequent release.

  The v3 schema used in this release differs from the schema specified in
  RFC7991 in some respects.  A separate document will be published with
  details about the changes: draft-levkowetz-xml2rfc-v3-implementation-notes.
  The issues leading to the changes will also be entered in the document 
  issue trackers and sent to the xml2rfc-dev mailing list for discussion.

  Feedback on the v3 text formatter will be appreciated.  Please send feedback
  to [email-masked] or [email-masked].

 -- Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>  12 Jul 2018 12:29:39 -0700

The preferred way to install xml2rfc is by doing 'pip install xml2rfc',
and 'pip install --upgrade xml2rfc' to upgrade.  If there are system-
installed python modules which pip will not upgrade, you may have to
use 'pip install --upgrade --no-deps xml2rfc' and install dependencies
manually.

The new version is also available through SVN checkout, with
  'svn checkout http://svn.tools.ietf.org/svn/tools/xml2rfc/tags/cli/2.10.0'

Regards,

	Henrik
	(via the mkrelease script)