Subject: Re: [xml2rfc] Problem with the web interface

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2018 12:57:11 -0400

On 6/30/18 6:47 PM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> On 01/07/2018 10:28, Paul Kyzivat wrote:
>> I do my draft generation using the web interface:
>> https://xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org/cgi-bin/xml2rfc.cgi
>>
>> My typical mode of operation is to open up that page in a tab in my
>> browser, select my xml file, and generate in a frame, so I can see the
>> results immediately. In another window I edit the xml and then reinvoke
>> the converter to see the results of my edit. I do this repeatedly as I
>> edit so if something goes wrong I'll know what change caused it.
>>
>> For the past few months, when I go back in my browser window, from
>> seeing the results, and then click Submit again, either the conversion
>> hangs, or else it reports an error. I have found I can work around this
>> by clicking Browse again, and selecting the same xml file. Then Submit
>> works (once). This is annoying!
>>
>> Can this be fixed?
> 
> Have you checked whether it's browser-dependent? I have the same problem
> with several web services**, and I think it started when Waterfox was most
> recently updated (I'm using Waterfox 56.2.1 on Windows).

I just updated to Firefox 61.0 the other day. The problem still happens 
with it. But I don't see the problem with Chrome 67.0.3396.87 on Mac.

	Thanks,
	Paul

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2018 11:37:47 +1200

> with it. But I don't see the problem with Chrome 67.0.3396.87 on Mac.

OK. I'm thinking that Firefox must have added a faulty optimisation
which has also been picked up by Waterfox: namely to cache a file
reference instead of re-opening the file, when auto-filling the
HTML form with the previous values. If the file is rewritten in between,
this might produce a garbage result.

I had a quick look for a bug report on this but don't have
time now to search further and/or report it.

    Brian