Subject: [xml2rfc] #347 (vocabulary): Need better hangText crossreference format

From: "xml2rfc issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2018 15:35:40 -0000

#347: Need better hangText crossreference format

 In RFC terminology section, terms are usually defined via a hangText, eg:
 <t hangText="ACP (ANI/AN) Domain Certificate:" anchor="domcert-def">

 Often it is required for one terms explanation to have an xref to another
 term. But there is no good XREF option to do this because there seems to
 be no way to refer to the actual hanging text. Instead, the reference will
 have to show something else, like the section number or so, which is all
 useless.

 The best option i found is like this:
 <xref target="domcert-def" format="title">->"ACP domain
 certificate"</xref>
 Because i can not let the xref generate the referred text, the xref has to
 repeat that whole text, and i also need to write the typical way you show
 a reference to another term (->).

 But this format still creates a redundant () at the end, and IESG
 reviewers did not like that.

 Maybe i am overlooking something, but i spent a already way too much time
 just to get to this point of understanding.

 example from draft-ietf-anima-autonomic-control-plane-16

 This is against xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org. That web page only says v2, so i
 am just assuming it is 2.5.x.

-- 
---------------------------+-------------------
 Reporter:  [email-masked]  |      Owner:
     Type:  enhancement    |     Status:  new
 Priority:  medium         |  Milestone:
Component:  vocabulary     |    Version:  2.5.x
 Keywords:                 |
---------------------------+-------------------

Ticket URL: <https://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/ticket/347>
xml2rfc <http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/>

---

From: "xml2rfc issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2018 15:54:22 -0000

Comment (by [email-masked]):

 I agree that the formatter should handle that better.

 In *my* formatter, it seems to work right, see
 <file:///C:/projects/xml2rfc/v3test.html#n-referring-to-list-items>.

-- 
----------------------------+-------------------
Resolution:                 |   Keywords:
----------------------------+-------------------

Ticket URL: <https://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/ticket/347#comment:1>
xml2rfc <http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/>