Subject: [xml2rfc] comment?

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2018 11:01:06 -0700

<string>: Line 595: Double hyphen within comment

it's a bleeping comment.  what i put in a comment is none of the
parser's business unless it is an end-of-comment token.

randy

---

From: Tom Pusateri <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2018 14:07:08 -0400

> On Aug 26, 2018, at 2:01 PM, Randy Bush <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

I’m sure XML2RFC isn’t the only one saying you make terrible comments.

Tom

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2018 11:08:05 -0700

[ off list ]

> I’m sure XML2RFC isn’t the only one saying you make terrible comments.

touché

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2018 15:06:37 -0400

For hysterical raisins, XML comments are compatible with SGML comments, and
SGML comments have funny behavior around -- inside a comment, so XML
prohibits -- inside a comment.  (Note that this means that there are valid
SGML comments that are not valid XML comments - seemed like a good idea at
the time?...)

  Bill

On Sun, Aug 26, 2018 at 2:01 PM Randy Bush <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> xml2rfc mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/xml2rfc
>

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2018 12:31:37 -0700

> SGML comments that are not valid XML comments - seemed like a good idea at

and my parents were far from perfect.  i try not to repeat their mistake
in order to leave room for making my own.

randy

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2018 08:26:14 +1200

If I'm not mistaken, XML is supposed to be not a *descendant* of SGML
but an actual conforming instance of SGML, so logically it has no choice
on this point.

But it's extremely annoying. You can't comment out a section that
contains a comment.

Regards
   Brian Carpenter

"Looks like a disaster; why wasn’t I invited?" - Eeyore (2018)

---

From: Martin J. Dürst <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2018 11:54:09 +0900

> but an actual conforming instance of SGML, so logically it has no choice

Yes. But SGML was tweaked with an Technical Corrigendum to include some 
lenience for stuff that was considered important for XML, under the name 
of WebSGML. I seem to remember that some people wanted to fully accept 
-- in a comment, but others not, and so issuing a warning was accepted 
as a "compromise".

Regards,   Martin.

---

From: [email-masked] (Dale R. Worley)
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2018 20:09:20 -0400

> parser's business unless it is an end-of-comment token.

XML comments aren't allowed to contain "--".

    Extensible Markup Language (XML) 1.0 (Fifth Edition)
    W3C Recommendation 26 November 2008

    http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/REC-xml-20081126/ 

    2.5 Comments

    [Definition: Comments may appear anywhere in a document outside other
    markup; in addition, they may appear within the document type
    declaration at places allowed by the grammar. They are not part of the
    document's character data; an XML processor MAY, but need not, make it
    possible for an application to retrieve the text of comments. For
    compatibility, the string " -- " (double-hyphen) MUST NOT occur within
    comments.] Parameter entity references MUST NOT be recognized within
    comments.

    Comments

    [15]   	Comment	   ::=   	'<!--' ((Char - '-') | ('-' (Char - '-')))* '-->'

Dale