Subject: [xml2rfc] #371 (Version_3_cli_txt): prep tools error lack context

From: "xml2rfc issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2018 21:24:30 -0000

#371: prep tools error lack context

 If the preptools fails it says:
 {{{
 learninggo.xml(0): Warning: Invalid document before running preptool:
 Element li has extra content: t
 }}}
 This is *really* hard to debug without an actual line number, esp, when
 xmllint doesn't complain (although that is run without the dtd being
 there).

-- 
-------------------------------+-------------------
 Reporter:  [email-masked]       |      Owner:
     Type:  enhancement        |     Status:  new
 Priority:  medium             |  Milestone:
Component:  Version_3_cli_txt  |    Version:  2.4.x
 Keywords:                     |
-------------------------------+-------------------

Ticket URL: <https://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/ticket/371>
xml2rfc <http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/>

---

From: "xml2rfc issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2018 21:44:25 -0000

Comment (by [email-masked]):

 Agreed.  It is unfortunately hard to do better when the underlying library
 doesn't provide more information :-(

 Once we're past incorrect behaviour and schema tweaks, I could investigate
 the use of an alternative validator if the primary one doesn't provide
 enough information.

-- 
--------------------------------+-------------------
Resolution:                     |   Keywords:
--------------------------------+-------------------

Ticket URL: <https://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/ticket/371#comment:1>
xml2rfc <http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/>

---

From: Miek Gieben <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2018 06:56:01 +0100

[ Quoting <[email-masked]> in "Re: [xml2rfc] #371 (Version_3_cli_t..." ]
> the use of an alternative validator if the primary one doesn't provide

As a work-around, this works:

xmllint --noout --relaxng ~/g/src/github.com/mmarkdown/mmark/schema/rfc7991.rng learninggo.xml

---

From: Miek Gieben <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2018 07:06:06 +0100

>#371: prep tools error lack context

This errors is because of this:

https://github.com/rfc-format/draft-iab-xml2rfc-v3-bis/issues/35

/Miek

--
Miek Gieben

---

From: "xml2rfc issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2018 14:35:13 -0000

Changes (by [email-masked]):

 * status:  new => closed
 * resolution:   => fixed

Comment:

 I just tried this with the learninggo-2.xml file from #372, but with that
 file the warnings that occur has line number indications.  Will need the
 original input file in order to look more at this.

-- 
--------------------------------+--------------------
  Reporter:  [email-masked]       |      Owner:
      Type:  enhancement        |     Status:  closed
  Priority:  medium             |  Milestone:
 Component:  Version_3_cli_txt  |    Version:  2.4.x
Resolution:  fixed              |   Keywords:
--------------------------------+--------------------

Ticket URL: <https://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/ticket/371#comment:2>
xml2rfc <http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/>

---

From: "xml2rfc issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2018 14:41:47 -0000

The listing of validation errors has been substantially improved in
 [2585].

Ticket URL: <https://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/ticket/371#comment:3>
xml2rfc <http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/>