Subject: [xml2rfc] #387 (Version 2 cli): Blocking unicode by default causes problems for kramdown-rfc2629 users

From: "xml2rfc issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2018 00:24:43 -0000

#387: Blocking unicode by default causes problems for kramdown-rfc2629 users

 kramdown-rfc2629 replaces ascii quotes with unicode quotes, which runs
 afoul of the new rule in xml2rfc-2.15.0 that all unicode needs to be
 surrounded in <u> tags.

 You can see the effect by comparing https://travis-
 ci.org/jyasskin/webpackage/builds/462031266 (broken) to https://travis-
 ci.org/jyasskin/webpackage/builds/462031448 (working).

 https://github.com/cabo/kramdown-rfc2629/issues/16 discusses the kramdown-
 rfc2629 side of things.

-- 
-----------------------------------+----------------------------------
 Reporter:  [email-masked]  |      Owner:  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect                 |     Status:  new
 Priority:  medium                 |  Milestone:
Component:  Version 2 cli          |    Version:
 Keywords:                         |
-----------------------------------+----------------------------------

Ticket URL: <https://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/ticket/387>
xml2rfc <http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/>

---

From: "xml2rfc issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2018 00:39:25 -0000

Comment (by [email-masked]):

 Hmm.  Right.

 I'll add some code to convert unicode quotes back to ascii quotes.  This
 used to happen by default earlier, but then ''all'' unicode entities were
 downconverted to ascii; can't do that now.

-- 
------------------------------------+----------------------------------
Resolution:                         |   Keywords:
------------------------------------+----------------------------------

Ticket URL: <https://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/ticket/387#comment:1>
xml2rfc <http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/>

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2018 02:16:10 +0100

There is some confusion here: All input to XML2RFC is Unicode.
Some of it isn’t ASCII, and XML2RFCv1/2 has had a well-understood way to handle for a decade; this can’t be unilaterally changed without breaking lots of input files.

Note that this just came up first with quotes, but other non-ASCII characters such as dashes are also in wide use.
XML2RFC also has supported some author names (and names in other positions in the text) that go beyond US English.

This appears to be a major regression.
Partially breaking XML2RFCv2 in order to prepare for v3 is not an option.

Grüße, Carsten

> On Dec 1, 2018, at 01:39, xml2rfc issue tracker <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> _______________________________________________
> xml2rfc mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/xml2rfc
>

---

From: "xml2rfc issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2018 05:33:49 -0000

Comment (by [email-masked]):

 Wow.

 It would really be awesome if changes like these would actually get
 discussion and review somewhere before making it into a release.

Ticket URL: <https://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/ticket/387#comment:2>
xml2rfc <http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/>