Subject: Re: [xml2rfc] #387 (Version 2 cli): Blocking unicode by default causes problems for kramdown-rfc2629 users

From: "xml2rfc issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2018 10:22:37 -0000

#387: Blocking unicode by default causes problems for kramdown-rfc2629 users

Comment (by [email-masked]):

 The loss of the conversion of smart quotes and similar in the v2 renderers
 was not intentional.

-- 
------------------------------------+----------------------------------
  Reporter:  [email-masked]  |      Owner:  [email-masked]
      Type:  defect                 |     Status:  new
  Priority:  medium                 |  Milestone:
 Component:  Version 2 cli          |    Version:
Resolution:                         |   Keywords:
------------------------------------+----------------------------------

Ticket URL: <https://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/ticket/387#comment:3>
xml2rfc <http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/>

---

From: "xml2rfc issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2018 10:47:36 -0000

Hi Jeffrey,

 I haven't managed to reproduce this here yet.

 I've downloaded draft-yasskin-dispatch-web-packaging.md, used kramdown-
 rfc2926 to convert it to xml, and run that xml through xml2rfc with the
 switches the broken build shows, but without getting any exception.

 Would it be possible for you to provide an xml file that triggers the
 issue?

Ticket URL: <https://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/ticket/387#comment:4>
xml2rfc <http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/>

---

From: "xml2rfc issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2018 13:41:16 -0000

I've managed to reproduce this now; no action needed for the xml file.

Ticket URL: <https://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/ticket/387#comment:5>
xml2rfc <http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/>

---

From: "xml2rfc issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2018 14:04:25 -0000

Changes (by [email-masked]):

 * status:  new => closed
 * resolution:   => fixed

Comment:

 Fixed in [2805]:

 Reverted [2786].  Fixes issue #387.

-- 
------------------------------------+----------------------------------
  Reporter:  [email-masked]  |      Owner:  [email-masked]
      Type:  defect                 |     Status:  closed
  Priority:  medium                 |  Milestone:
 Component:  Version 2 cli          |    Version:
Resolution:  fixed                  |   Keywords:
------------------------------------+----------------------------------

Ticket URL: </ticket/387#comment:6>
xml2rfc <http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/>

---

From: "xml2rfc issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2018 14:20:29 -0000

So the assumption that this was due to not downconverting smart quotes and
 other punctuation any more was wrong; that's working the same way it has
 since 2011.  The bug was in now permitting non-ascii in artwork without
 converting it to &xNNNN; format.  I've backed out that change.  Permitting
 non-ascii in artwork is appropriate for the v3 renderers, to stay in tune
 with RFC7997, but the v2 renderers won't change in this respect.

Ticket URL: <https://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/ticket/387#comment:7>
xml2rfc <http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/>

---

From: "xml2rfc issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2018 19:38:47 -0000

Comment (by [email-masked]):

 Sorry for the wrong guess at the root cause, and thanks for the quick fix!

Ticket URL: <https://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/ticket/387#comment:8>
xml2rfc <http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/>