Subject: [xml2rfc] Bugs in xml2rfc v3 tool, to where do I report them?

From: "Patrik Fältström" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2019 13:05:19 +0100

On 18 Mar 2019, at 21:32, IETF Chair wrote:

> Lastly, if you should find a bug, please report it at <https://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac>.  

This URL gives a 404...to where do I report that bug? :-D

   Patrik

P.S. The bug is that I seem to not be able to have a <name> element as sub element to <references>.

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2019 13:23:00 +0100

>> Lastly, if you should find a bug, please report it at <https://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac>.  

The correct URL has a slash at the end:

  https://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/

> This URL gives a 404...to where do I report that bug? :-D

  mailto:[email-masked] :-)

> as sub element to <references>.

That's right.  Which use did you have in mind for a <name> under <reference>?

Regards,

	Henrik

> 
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> xml2rfc mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/xml2rfc
>

---

From: "Patrik Fältström" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2019 13:30:33 +0100

> That's right.  Which use did you have in mind for a <name> under <reference>?

"Normative References" and "Non Normative References"

And, I saw in the spec for the format that <name> should be valid.

Another thing I noticed was that the v2v3 conversion tool did not swap the order of the attributes under <front>. I did have <seriesInfo> before <title> which the xml2rfc tool in v3 was more sensitive for. I.e. the <title> MUST be before <seriesInfo> in v3 it seems but in v2 it worked anyways.

   Patrik

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2019 13:36:33 +0100

> "Normative References" and "Non Normative References"

Ahh, but that would be under <references>, not under an individual <reference>

> And, I saw in the spec for the format that <name> should be valid.

Yes.

> Another thing I noticed was that the v2v3 conversion tool did not
> swap the order of the attributes under <front>. I did have
> <seriesInfo> before <title> which the xml2rfc tool in v3 was more
> sensitive for. I.e. the <title> MUST be before <seriesInfo> in v3 it
> seems but in v2 it worked anyways.

The v2 dtd does require <title> first, but it's possible that xml2rfc in
v2 mode was more lenient than what the dtd actually said.  I'll check.

	Henrik

---

From: "Patrik Fältström" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2019 13:49:44 +0100

> Ahh, but that would be under <references>, not under an individual <reference>

I mistyped. It is under <references>.

Error:

INPUT(686): Error: Did not expect element name there, at /rfc/back/references/references[1]/name[2]

XML (line 686 is the <name> line below):

:
  <back>
    <references>
      <name>Normative References</name>
      <xi:include href='http://xml2rfc.ietf.org/public/rfc/bibxml/reference.RFC.3491.xml'/>
:

> The v2 dtd does require <title> first, but it's possible that xml2rfc in v2 mode was more lenient than what the dtd actually said.  I'll check.

Anyway, easy to find that issue, and easy to fix!

   Patrik

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2019 13:56:54 +0100

>>> And, I saw in the spec for the format that <name> should be valid.

Are you processing this through the --v3 processor?  If not, only the v2
vocabulary will be available.

You can also use a version="3" attribute on <rfc>, but in that case the
internal v2v3 conversion will not be applied, and v2 deprecated elements
will not be rendered by the renderer.

If you're aiming at writing a draft using only the new v3 vocabulary,
you probably should use <rfc ... version="3">, so you don't have to say
--v3 and take the extra (little) hit of running the xml through the v2v3
converter.

>> The v2 dtd does require <title> first, but it's possible that
>> xml2rfc in v2 mode was more lenient than what the dtd actually
>> said. I'll check.
> 

Ack :-)

	Henrik

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2019 14:00:35 +0100

Another thought:

> On 2019-03-26 13:49, Patrik Fältström wrote:

<<snip>>

>> INPUT(686): Error: Did not expect element name there, at /rfc/back/references/references[1]/name[2]

Looking at this again, it seems to indicate that you have a second <name>
element in the inner references section, and that it's that second element
which is the problem?

	Henrik

---

From: "Patrik Fältström" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2019 14:04:37 +0100

On 26 Mar 2019, at 13:56, Henrik Levkowetz wrote:

> Are you processing this through the --v3 processor?  If not, only the v2 vocabulary will be available.

I use the web page <https://xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org/experimental.html> and select "v3-plaintext".

> If you're aiming at writing a draft using only the new v3 vocabulary, you probably should use <rfc ... version="3">, so you don't have to say --v3 and take the extra (little) hit of running the xml through the v2v3
> converter.

I did run my working v2 XML through the v2v3 converter, and then I am trying to "just" get the output from v2v3 conversion tool to actually produce a .txt version using the web tool.

So I have not started from scratch if that was your question.

   Patrik

---

From: "Patrik Fältström" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2019 14:10:44 +0100

> Another thought:

Thanks!

>>> INPUT(686): Error: Did not expect element name there, at 
>>> /rfc/back/references/references[1]/name[2]
>
> element in the inner references section, and that it's that second 
> element which is the problem?

The errors are these:

INPUT(686): Error: Did not expect element name there, at 
/rfc/back/references/references[1]/name[2]
INPUT(695): Error: Did not expect element name there, at 
/rfc/back/references/references[2]/name[2]

The XML is (the full XML file is attached):

   <back>
     <references>
       <name>Normative References</name>
       <xi:include 
href='http://xml2rfc.ietf.org/public/rfc/bibxml/reference.RFC.3491.xml'/>
       <xi:include 
href='http://xml2rfc.ietf.org/public/rfc/bibxml/reference.RFC.5890.xml'/>
       <xi:include 
href='http://xml2rfc.ietf.org/public/rfc/bibxml/reference.RFC.5891.xml'/>
       <xi:include 
href='http://xml2rfc.ietf.org/public/rfc/bibxml/reference.RFC.5892.xml'/>
       <xi:include 
href='http://xml2rfc.ietf.org/public/rfc/bibxml/reference.RFC.5893.xml'/>
       <xi:include 
href='http://xml2rfc.ietf.org/public/rfc/bibxml/reference.RFC.6452.xml'/>
     </references>
     <references>
       <name>Non-normative references</name>
       <xi:include 
href='http://xml2rfc.ietf.org/public/rfc/bibxml/reference.RFC.3454.xml'/>
       <xi:include 
href='http://xml2rfc.ietf.org/public/rfc/bibxml/reference.RFC.3490.xml'/>
       <xi:include 
href='http://xml2rfc.ietf.org/public/rfc/bibxml/reference.RFC.5894.xml'/>
       <xi:include 
href='http://xml2rfc.ietf.org/public/rfc/bibxml/reference.RFC.5895.xml'/>
       <xi:include 
href='http://xml2rfc.ietf.org/public/rfc/bibxml/reference.RFC.6912.xml'/>
       <xi:include 
href='http://xml2rfc.ietf.org/public/rfc/bibxml3/reference.I-D.draft-klensin-idna-5892upd-unicode70-05.xml'/>
       <reference anchor='IAB'>
		:
		:
       </reference>
     </references>

    Patrik

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2019 14:11:05 +0100

> I use the web page <https://xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org/experimental.html> and select "v3-plaintext".

Ah. That sounds fine.  Then you're using the --v3 processing chain.  Good.

> I did run my working v2 XML through the v2v3 converter, and then I am
> trying to "just" get the output from v2v3 conversion tool to actually
> produce a .txt version using the web tool.

Ack, right.  Then the version="3" flag should already be set.  Good.

> So I have not started from scratch if that was your question.

More trying to understand the premises we had.

Please see my previous follow-up message; I think you may have a duplicate
<name> in the inner <references> section.

	Henrik

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2019 14:13:35 +0100

> The XML is (the full XML file is attached):

Good, that will let me debug.  Have to run for a meeting now, but will
look at this again as soon as I'm out of that.

	Henrik

---

From: "Patrik Fältström" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2019 15:11:07 +0100

> Ack, right.  Then the version="3" flag should already be set.  Good.

It was not set. I have added it, and made a number of other changes that where needed.

I move this to the tracker. Bad to have threads in both places.

   Patrik

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2019 15:16:45 +0100

> I move this to the tracker. Bad to have threads in both places.

Ack.  I'm debugging, and this seems indeed to be a bug, where a second
<name> entry is inserted in a conversion step.  

	Henrik