Subject: [xml2rfc] #410 (Version 2 cli): misdetected sentence endings

From: "xml2rfc issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2019 12:06:55 -0000

#410: misdetected sentence endings

 There are cases where sentence endings are detected when there actually is
 an abbreviation inside a sentence.

 In the TCL version, this relied on heuristics, and may produced better
 results.

 Note that <https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-flanagan-
 7322bis-03#section-3.2> removes the "insert two spaces" requirement, so
 maybe it's time to stop trying.

-- 
-----------------------------------+----------------------------------
 Reporter:  [email-masked]  |      Owner:  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect                 |     Status:  new
 Priority:  medium                 |  Milestone:
Component:  Version 2 cli          |    Version:  2.22.*
 Keywords:                         |
-----------------------------------+----------------------------------

Ticket URL: <https://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/ticket/410>
xml2rfc <http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/>

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2019 18:49:49 +0200

On Jul 3, 2019, at 14:06, xml2rfc issue tracker <[email-masked]> wrote:
> stop trying

… would mean that we get massive diffs once this is in effect.
Don’t do that.

Grüße, Carsten

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2019 19:28:25 +0200

On 03.07.2019 18:49, Carsten Bormann wrote:
> ...

> ...

Well - the output right now is broken for many inputs (and I believe
it's a regression from earlier versions (likely TCL)). It's also
something that I assume gets fixed in the RFC Production Center (so it's
another reason why published RFCs differ from xml2rfc's output).

Once the the RFC Style Guide is published, this likely needs to go away
anyway. At least if that happens before the new default publication
format is in use.

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2019 19:43:53 +0200

I just wanted to remind people that gratuitous changes in this space have real costs for people who are trying to get work done.  Not more, but not less either.

Grüße, Carsten

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2019 10:49:56 +0200

> I just wanted to remind people that gratuitous changes in this space have real costs for people who are trying to get work done.  Not more, but not less either.

Yep.

This might be an opt-in (by xml2rfc version number, or by processing
instruction).

Best regards, Julian