Subject: [xml2rfc] xml to markdown?

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2019 14:09:32 -0400

I am having to work with people that prefer markdown for creating their 
IDs.  They go the md -> xml -> ID route.

I have yet to figure out how to read markdown drafts let alone work with 
that format.

Is there a tool I can use to convert my xml to markdown so that I can 
see what I have been doing looks like in markdown and see if all the xml 
features I use (like hangtext in defs) are mapped to markdown?

thanks

---

From: Scott Mansfield <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2019 18:20:59 +0000

+1  I would really-really-really like an ABNF (or something) that provided a 
concise description of how the md maps to xml which maps to ID format.

The md tooling that I got from here --> 
https://github.com/martinthomson/i-d-template has increased my productivity 
because I only have to worry about content.

Regards,
-scott.

-----Original Message-----
From: xml2rfc <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of Robert Moskowitz
Sent: Wednesday, July 31, 2019 2:10 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [xml2rfc] xml to markdown?

I am having to work with people that prefer markdown for creating their IDs. 
They go the md -> xml -> ID route.

I have yet to figure out how to read markdown drafts let alone work with that 
format.

Is there a tool I can use to convert my xml to markdown so that I can see what 
I have been doing looks like in markdown and see if all the xml features I use 
(like hangtext in defs) are mapped to markdown?

thanks

_______________________________________________
xml2rfc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/xml2rfc

---

From: "Andrew G. Malis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2019 14:33:25 -0400

Bob,

While I don't have such a tool (although Carsten may), I do have a draft
that uses a lot of kramdown features, please feel free to use it as a
template. I use the tools at
https://xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org/experimental.html for converting kramdown to
text. In the top dialog box, "Convert Your XML Source", choose kramdown
rather than xml2rfc as the input type. I go straight to text rather than
generating xml as an intermediate step, although that option is available
further down on that same page.

I've attached my draft source and output so that you can compare them side
by side.

Cheers,
Andy

---

From: "Andrew G. Malis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2019 16:07:41 -0400

Bob,

In addition, the QUIC WG's drafts are all in kramdown, and they use lots of
great features to check out like drawings, tables, and more. They're also a
great source for programming by example. You can find their source files at
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts .

Cheers,
Andy

On Wed, Jul 31, 2019 at 2:33 PM Andrew G. Malis <[email-masked]> wrote:

> https://xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org/experimental.html for converting kramdown
> to text. In the top dialog box, "Convert Your XML Source", choose kramdown

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2019 22:24:32 +0200

On Jul 31, 2019, at 20:33, Andrew G. Malis <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> I don't have such a tool (although Carsten may)

Actually, I do.  This is a bit buggy still, and I need to spend some time to make it publishable.  Until then, just send XML, and I will use that to further debug the tool (and send you the resulting markdown).

Grüße, Carsten