Subject: [xml2rfc] Problems running xml2rfc on Fedora 30

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2019 12:40:39 -0400

This is the first time running xml2rfc on my new, Fedora 30 build.

I had done the 'pip install xml2rfc' when I built this system a couple 
months ago.  Today I went to run it and got errors.  SO I grabbed the 
xml from a draft I worked with back on Fedora 28 and got the following 
for my efforts:

$ xml2rfc draft-moskowitz-hierarchical-hip-06.xml
Parsing file draft-moskowitz-hierarchical-hip-06.xml
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/usr/bin/xml2rfc", line 11, in <module>
     load_entry_point('xml2rfc==2.22.3', 'console_scripts', 'xml2rfc')()
   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/xml2rfc/run.py", line 386, in main
     xmlrfc = parser.parse(remove_pis=options.remove_pis, normalize=True)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/xml2rfc/parser.py", line 599, 
in parse
     include=True, line_no=getattr(element, 'sourceline', 0))
   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/xml2rfc/parser.py", line 302, 
in getReferenceRequest
     result = self.cache(url)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/xml2rfc/parser.py", line 368, 
in cache
     r = session.get(url)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/requests/sessions.py", line 
546, in get
     return self.request('GET', url, **kwargs)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/requests/sessions.py", line 
533, in request
     resp = self.send(prep, **send_kwargs)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/requests/sessions.py", line 
646, in send
     r = adapter.send(request, **kwargs)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/requests/adapters.py", line 
498, in send
     raise ConnectionError(err, request=request)
requests.exceptions.ConnectionError: ('Connection aborted.', 
BadStatusLine('No status line received - the server has closed the 
connection',))

Please advise me on how to fix this.  I can provide the xml if needed.

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2019 19:26:04 +0200

> Please advise me on how to fix this.  I can provide the xml if needed.

I suspect something is wrong with your reference includes (or actually
with the server you're trying to reach).

Please send XML :-)

Best regards, Julian

PS: and we should open a ticket to get more usable error messages...

---

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2019 13:30:45 -0400

Here is the xml.  I believe it is unchanged for what I used on my old 
Fedora 28 system (back at home) and submitted long ago...

And where does one open a ticket?

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2019 20:35:49 +0200

Hi Bob,

This is a network connectivity issue, which we've pretty much never
seen until this year.  Something changed, but I'm not sure what.

In any case, for the next release I've added re-tries within the tool
to handle this.  For now, the best advice I can give is to re-try.

Best regards,

	Henrik

On 2019-07-26 18:40, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> xml2rfc mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/xml2rfc
>

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2019 20:38:24 +0200

Hi Bob,

> And where does one open a ticket?

https://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/.  Log in with your
tools password (not datatracker, unless you've set them to be the same)
and you'll see a 'New ticket' link in the main menubar.

	Henrik