Subject: [xml2rfc] #420 (Version 2 cli): misleading warning about missing consensus attribute for drafts

From: "xml2rfc issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2019 11:03:07 -0000

#420: misleading warning about missing consensus attribute for drafts

 {{{
 Warning: Setting consensus="true" for IETF STD document (this is not the
 schema default, but is the only value permitted for this type of document)
 }}}

 This is causing confusion, as the value is irrelevant when producing an
 internet draft.

-- 
-----------------------------------+----------------------------------
 Reporter:  [email-masked]  |      Owner:  [email-masked]
     Type:  enhancement            |     Status:  new
 Priority:  medium                 |  Milestone:
Component:  Version 2 cli          |    Version:  2.25.*
 Keywords:                         |
-----------------------------------+----------------------------------

Ticket URL: <https://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/ticket/420>
xml2rfc <http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/>

---

From: "xml2rfc issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2019 11:03:19 -0000

Changes (by [email-masked]):

 * priority:  medium => trivial

-- 
------------------------------------+----------------------------------
  Reporter:  [email-masked]  |      Owner:  [email-masked]
      Type:  enhancement            |     Status:  new
  Priority:  trivial                |  Milestone:
 Component:  Version 2 cli          |    Version:  2.25.*
Resolution:                         |   Keywords:
------------------------------------+----------------------------------

Ticket URL: <https://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/ticket/420#comment:1>
xml2rfc <http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/>

---

From: "xml2rfc issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2019 13:27:22 -0000

Changes (by [email-masked]):

 * status:  new => closed
 * resolution:   => invalid

Comment:

 This is a direct consequence of the preptool phase and its RFC 7998
 requirement to set attributes to their default values.  Setting consensus
 to its default value would result in an invalid combination of category
 and consensus.

 I can remove the warning, but I don't see that doing so would make things
 better.

-- 
------------------------------------+----------------------------------
  Reporter:  [email-masked]  |      Owner:  [email-masked]
      Type:  enhancement            |     Status:  closed
  Priority:  trivial                |  Milestone:
 Component:  Version 2 cli          |    Version:  2.25.*
Resolution:  invalid                |   Keywords:
------------------------------------+----------------------------------

Ticket URL: <https://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/ticket/420#comment:2>
xml2rfc <http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/>

---

From: "xml2rfc issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2019 13:38:45 -0000

Comment (by [email-masked]):

 > Setting consensus to its default value would result in an invalid
 combination of category and consensus.

 Why would it be invalid, in particular for the source of an Internet-
 Draft? (citation please)

Ticket URL: <https://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/ticket/420#comment:3>
xml2rfc <http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/>

---

From: "xml2rfc issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2019 13:46:19 -0000

FWIW, the consensus attribute did not have a default in rfc2629.dtd. Maybe
 the best fix would be to remove the default in v3 as well.

Ticket URL: <https://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/ticket/420#comment:4>
xml2rfc <http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/>