Subject: [xml2rfc] This one has me scratching my head - sorry if it's another newbie "bad user on device" error

From: "David R. Oran" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Feb 2020 09:45:16 -0500

I converted one of my drafts from V2 to V3 with the latest converter. It 
compiles fine.

I then bumped the version number and did some edits to the main text, 
not touching any of the rest of the converter output, particularly not 
in the stuff in the front. It now throws an error (quite unhelpful) that 
I can’t pin down.

  % xml2rfc --html draft-oran-icnrg-flowbalance-03.xml
draft-oran-icnrg-flowbalance-03.xml(88): Error: Did not expect text in 
element middle content, at /rfc/middle
draft-oran-icnrg-flowbalance-03.xml(30): Error: Invalid document before 
running preptool.
Unable to complete processing draft-oran-icnrg-flowbalance-03.xml

I’ve attached the -02.xml which compiles, and the -03.xml, which 
doesn’t.

Sorry to be such a bother!

DaveO

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2020 17:26:31 +0100

On 09.02.2020 15:45, David R. Oran wrote:
> I’ve attached the -02.xml which compiles, and the -03.xml, which doesn’t.
>

In line 271, you have a mistyped XML comment, causing non-whitespace
content to be present inside <middle>.

Best regards, Julian

---

From: "David R. Oran" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2020 11:36:43 -0500

Gack. Thanks. The error didn’t point me in anywhere like the right 
direction…

DaveO

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2020 18:07:38 +0100

On 10.02.2020 17:36, David R. Oran wrote:
> ...

My (just improved) rfc2629.xslt says:

> INFO: The /rfc/front/workgroup should only be used for Working/Research Group drafts (at line 38)
> WARNING: Unknown IETF area: "IRTF" - should be one of: "Applications and Real-Time", "art", "General", "gen", "Internet", "int", "Operations and Management", "ops", "Routing", "rtg", "Security", "sec", "Transport", "tsv" (as of the publication date of 202002) (at line 74)
> WARNING: No text content allowed inside &lt;middle&gt;, but found:
>
>  !-- This PI places the pagebreak correctly (before the section title) in the text output. --&gt;
>  (at line 267)

Best regards, Julian

---

From: "David R. Oran" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2020 12:56:00 -0500

On 10 Feb 2020, at 12:07, Julian Reschke wrote:

>> INFO: The /rfc/front/workgroup should only be used for 
>> Working/Research Group drafts (at line 38)
>> WARNING: Unknown IETF area: "IRTF" - should be one of: "Applications 
>> and Real-Time", "art", "General", "gen", "Internet", "int", 
>> "Operations and Management", "ops", "Routing", "rtg", "Security", 
>> "sec", "Transport", "tsv" (as of the publication date of 202002) (at 
>> line 74)
Thanks. Is this checked in anywhere?

Also, there seems to still be some work needed so that if you set the 
subnissionType to IRTF, then there should not be a check against IETF 
areas?

DaveO

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2020 23:21:25 +0100

> Thanks. Is this checked in anywhere?

Sure: https://github.com/reschke/xml2rfc

> subnissionType to IRTF, then there should not be a check against IETF

The area shouldn't be set if it's an IRTF submission. See
<https://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc7991.html#element.area>.

Best regards, Julian