Subject: [xml2rfc] Problems with submission tool converting xml

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2020 06:02:38 -0500

Please compare:

https://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-hip-dex-12.txt

with the attached txt file.  Note the differences in sec 6.3

The posted one was generated by the submission tool.  My colleague only 
uploaded the xml, assuming that what we saw with local generation was 
the same as the submission tool would generate.

We are using the 2.39.0 and running it on the attached xml with no switches.

Is there something problematic with our xml or is it the submission tool..

thanks

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2020 13:56:34 +0100

On 13.02.2020 12:02, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> ...

The seems to be caused by the fact that the artwork contains an XML
comment; and the online tool only processes the part before the comment.

This is a bug; no idea why it surfaces only in the online tool.

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2020 14:23:00 +0100

Hi Bob,

> with the attached txt file.  Note the differences in sec 6.3

The attached txt file says draft-ietf-hip-dex-13, but the datatracker
only knows about submissions up to -12.

However, if I download the -12 XML file and process it through xml2rfc here,
I see the difference; this is clearly a bug with the creation of .txt from
.xml at submission time.  I'll debug.

> Is there something problematic with our xml or is it the submission tool..

I assume it's a submission tool problem at the moment, will know more after
debugging.

	Henrik

---

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2020 08:38:34 -0500

> only knows about submissions up to -12.

Oops.  I sent you the one we are working to address comments on -12.

> I assume it's a submission tool problem at the moment, will know more after

Thanks.

---

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2020 08:41:55 -0500

> This is a bug; no idea why it surfaces only in the online tool.

And I added that comment with -12.  I was debating if I should include 
that text after I wrote it, and thought that turning it into a comment 
would hold it for me if reviewers wanted it.

And the local build did not have a problem with it,,,,

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2020 16:21:22 +0100

Hi Bob,

I've looked into this now, and for v2 (legacy) XML schema sources, the
submission tool handles this case (comments within artwork) incorrectly.

I'll fix this in an upcoming datatracker release.  Till then I'm afraid
you'll have to provide the .txt file as well as the .xml file, or refrain
from using comments inside artwork.

Sorry :-(

	Henrik