Subject: [xml2rfc] Problems with html generated by online submission tool

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2020 09:43:31 -0500

Again, please look at https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-hip-dex-12, 
this time sec 4.1.1

In the second para, the sections referenced, 4.1.1 and 4.1.2 are turned 
into html links.  They are not that way in the xml nor dos the local 
--html option do this.  The xml in question is:

          <t>
            Conceptually, the puzzle mechanism in HIP DEX is the same as in
            HIPv2. Hence, this document refers to Sections 4.1.1 and 
4.1.2 in
            <xref target="RFC7401" /> for more detailed information 
about the
            employed mechanism. Notably, the only differences between 
the puzzle
            mechanism in HIP DEX and HIPv2 are that HIP DEX does not employ
            pre-computation of R1 packets and uses CMAC instead of a hash
            function for solving and verifying a puzzle. The implications of
            these changes on the puzzle implementation are discussed in 
<xref
            target="cmac-puzzle" />.
          </t>

At this point, when we are trying to finally get this draft off to RFC, 
we want to minimize changes.  That said,  I am looking at:

https://xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org/xml2rfcFAQ.html#anchor18

Should we switch to that?  Really rather not make changes ourselves and 
get the IESG to approve...

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2020 16:11:19 +0100

Hi Bob,

On 2020-02-13 15:43, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> --html option do this.

The html documents at https://tools.ietf.org/html/ are always htmlized
from text.  The script that does this knows nothing about any preceding
XML source, it just grabs the text document and does its best.  The issue
you point at is known, but doing this right just from the text source
isn't trivial and hasn't been a priority.

>  The xml in question is:

No; the isssue here isn't a matter of the XML source.

When the document goes to the RFC editor, it will be converted from
v2 schema XML to v3 schema, and published HTML will be generated directly
from the XML, rather than indirectly from text.

Best regards,

	Henrik

---

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2020 10:15:46 -0500

Henrik,

OK and thanks.

All my new work is in v3 format.  I do have a few other hangers on in v2...