Subject: [xml2rfc] Help on DOI reference

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2020 12:46:45 -0500

I got a reference for a draft from:

https://www.iacr.org/cryptodb/data/paper.php?pubkey=1257

It has a DOI, so I used:

      <?rfc 
include="https://xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org/public/rfc/bibxml7/reference.DOI.10.1007/978-3-540-28628-8_30.xml?anchor=KeyDerivation"?>

and that works almost great, generating:

    [KeyDerivation]
               Dodis, Y., Gennaro, R., Håstad, J., Krawczyk, H., and T.
               Rabin, "Randomness Extraction and Key Derivation Using the
               CBC, Cascade and HMAC Modes", Advances in Cryptology -
               CRYPTO 2004 pp. 494-510, DOI 10.1007/978-3-540-28628-8_30,
               2004, <https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-540-28628-8_30>.

But I would like to include the iacr.org URL in the reference as well.

How might I slip that in?  It would probably be easier for readers to 
get the paper from iacr than from DOI that may require a login.

Or is this just a case of guiding the lily?

thanks

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2020 18:52:08 +0100

On 2020-12-14, at 18:46, Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]> wrote:
>      <?rfc include="https://xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org/public/rfc/bibxml7/reference.DOI.10.1007/978-3-540-28628-8_30.xml?anchor=KeyDerivation"?>

This means the bibxml for the DOI is fetched each time the document is processed (if not cached locally).

But you don’t need that…

Wget/curl the above, edit to your heart’s content (e.g., adding your own target), and paste it where the <?rfc was.  (PIs are no longer v3xml anyway…).

Grüße, Carsten

> How might I slip that in?  It would probably be easier for readers to get the paper from iacr than from DOI that may require a login.
> 
> _______________________________________________
> xml2rfc mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/xml2rfc

---

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2020 13:18:01 -0500

> Wget/curl the above, edit to your heart’s content (e.g., adding your own target), and paste it where the <?rfc was.  (PIs are no longer v3xml anyway…).

What are PIs?

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2020 19:22:10 +0100

Am 14.12.2020 um 19:18 schrieb Robert Moskowitz:
>> Wget/curl the above, edit to your heart’s content (e.g., adding your
>> own target), and paste it where the <?rfc was.  (PIs are no longer
>> v3xml anyway…).
>
>
> What are PIs?
> ...

"Processing Instructions".
(<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Processing_Instruction>).

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2020 13:44:12 -0500

> (<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Processing_Instruction>).

A family member would call that a helicopter answer.

How does this apply to the include I am using that I got from 
https://xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org/

??

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2020 19:51:43 +0100

> https://xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org/

That *is* a PI, so it would not work with xml2rfc in v3 mode, as Carsten
said.

The easiest thing to do is to wget/curl/save as the content, paste it
into the document, and edit is as you wish.

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2020 14:01:01 -0500

On 12/14/20 1:51 PM, Julian Reschke wrote:
>>>>> This means the bibxml for the DOI is fetched each time the 
>>>>> document is
>>>>> processed (if not cached locally).
>>>>>
>>>>> But you don’t need that…
>>>>>

??  I am using the --v3 switch in the xml2rfc python3 script and it 
works.  Are the includes like

     <xi:include 
href="https://xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org/public/rfc/bibxml3/reference.I-D.ietf-hip-dex.xml"/>

PI?  Or only the part starting with ?anchor in

      <?rfc 

I am using

<displayreference target="I-D.moskowitz-orchid-cshake" to="new-orchid"/>

For changing the displayed reference for IDs, but it does not seem to 
work for these DOI refs (or at least when I tried it some months ago on 
some NIST SP800 references).

thanks

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2020 20:05:28 +0100

Probably you are already giving a different anchor, so the displayref does not catch. 

Sent from mobile, sorry for terse

> On 14. Dec 2020, at 20:01, Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> 
> 
> ??  I am using the --v3 switch in the xml2rfc python3 script and it works.  Are the includes like
> 
>     <xi:include href="https://xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org/public/rfc/bibxml3/reference.I-D.ietf-hip-dex.xml"/>
> 
> For changing the displayed reference for IDs, but it does not seem to work for these DOI refs (or at least when I tried it some months ago on some NIST SP800 references).
> 
> thanks
> 
> 
>>

---

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2020 14:24:58 -0500

> Sent from mobile, sorry for terse

grumble....  After some poking around, followed your earlier comment to 
wget the include and look at the anchor, as OH!

      <displayreference target="DOI_10.6028_NIST.SP.800-56C" 
to="NIST.SP.800-56C"/>

for

      <?rfc 
include="https://xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org/public/rfc/bibxml7/reference.DOI.10.6028/NIST.SP.800-56C.xml"?>

Not obvious.  But I got there...

Now to clean up the other PI references that work, but maybe one day may 
not...

thanks Carsten and Julian

>> work for these DOI refs (or at least when I tried it some months ago 
>> on some NIST SP800 references).
>>
>> thanks
>>
>>
>>>