Subject: [xml2rfc] errors on xml submission with displayreference

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2020 16:38:32 -0500

I just tried submitting my ietf-hip-dex draft and got xml errors I did 
not get with my local xml2rfc script.

What I am seeing is:

One or more XML validation errors occurred when processing the XML file:
draft-ietf-hip-dex.xml: Line 3445: Element back content does not follow 
the DTD, expecting (references* , section*), got (displayreference 
displayreference displayreference displayreference displayreference 
displayreference displayreference displayreference displayreference 
references references section section )
draft-ietf-hip-dex.xml: Line 3446: No declaration for element 
displayreference
draft-ietf-hip-dex.xml: Line 3446: No declaration for attribute target 
of element displayreference
draft-ietf-hip-dex.xml: Line 3446: No declaration for attribute to of 
element displayreference
draft-ietf-hip-dex.xml: Line 3447: No declaration for element 
displayreference
draft-ietf-hip-dex.xml: Line 3447: No declaration for attribute target 
of element displayreference
draft-ietf-hip-dex.xml: Line 3447: No declaration for attribute to of 
element displayreference
draft-ietf-hip-dex.xml: Line 3448: No declaration for element 
displayreference
draft-ietf-hip-dex.xml: Line 3448: No declaration for attribute target 
of element displayreference
draft-ietf-hip-dex.xml: Line 3448: No declaration for attribute to of 
element displayreference
draft-ietf-hip-dex.xml: Line 3449: No declaration for element 
displayreference
draft-ietf-hip-dex.xml: Line 3449: No declaration for attribute target 
of element displayreference
draft-ietf-hip-dex.xml: Line 3449: No declaration for attribute to of 
element displayreference
draft-ietf-hip-dex.xml: Line 3450: No declaration for element 
displayreference
draft-ietf-hip-dex.xml: Line 3450: No declaration for attribute target 
of element displayreference
draft-ietf-hip-dex.xml: Line 3450: No declaration for attribute to of 
element displayreference
draft-ietf-hip-dex.xml: Line 3451: No declaration for element 
displayreference
draft-ietf-hip-dex.xml: Line 3451: No declaration for attribute target 
of element displayreference
draft-ietf-hip-dex.xml: Line 3451: No declaration for attribute to of 
element displayreference
draft-ietf-hip-dex.xml: Line 3452: No declaration for element 
displayreference
draft-ietf-hip-dex.xml: Line 3452: No declaration for attribute target 
of element displayreference
draft-ietf-hip-dex.xml: Line 3452: No declaration for attribute to of 
element displayreference
draft-ietf-hip-dex.xml: Line 3453: No declaration for element 
displayreference
draft-ietf-hip-dex.xml: Line 3453: No declaration for attribute target 
of element displayreference
draft-ietf-hip-dex.xml: Line 3453: No declaration for attribute to of 
element displayreference
draft-ietf-hip-dex.xml: Line 3454: No declaration for element 
displayreference
draft-ietf-hip-dex.xml: Line 3454: No declaration for attribute target 
of element displayreference
draft-ietf-hip-dex.xml: Line 3454: No declaration for attribute to of 
element displayreference

I can upload the whole 150KB xml, but back starts with:

  <back>
      <displayreference target="I-D.ietf-hip-rfc4423-bis" 
to="hip-rfc4423-bis"/>
      <displayreference target="DOI_10.1109_IEEESTD.2016.7786995" 
to="IEEE.802-11.2016"/>
      <displayreference target="DOI_10.6028_NIST.SP.800-38B" 
to="NIST.SP.800-38B"/>
      <displayreference target="DOI_10.6028_NIST.SP.800-56C" 
to="NIST.SP.800-56C"/>
      <displayreference target="DOI_10.6028_NIST.SP.800-108" 
to="NIST.SP.800-108"/>
      <displayreference target="DOI_10.1007_978-3-540-28628-8_30" 
to="KeyDerivation"/>
      <displayreference target="DOI_10.1109_TIT.1976.1055638" to="DH76"/>
      <displayreference target="DOI_10.1109_IPSN.2008.47" to="LN08"/>
      <displayreference target="DOI_10.1109_ICNP.2013.6733571" to="HWZ13"/>

<references title="References">
    <references title="Normative References">

hmmmm,

This is an old draft written for v2 and although I have added this v3 
stuff, I never ran --v2v3 on it.

Help?

---

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2020 19:44:20 -0500

I ran --v2v3 on the source xml, uploaded again and this time no errors.  
So the conversion added something needed to allow use of 
displyareference that worked with the local xml2rfc, but not with the on 
used by submit.

On 12/14/20 4:38 PM, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> draft-ietf-hip-dex.xml: Line 3445: Element back content does not 
> follow the DTD, expecting (references* , section*), got 
> (displayreference displayreference displayreference displayreference 
> displayreference references references section section )
> _______________________________________________
> xml2rfc mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/xml2rfc

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2020 01:53:30 +0100

On 2020-12-15, at 01:44, Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> I ran --v2v3 on the source xml, uploaded again and this time no errors.  So the conversion added something needed to allow use of displyareference that worked with the local xml2rfc, but not with the on used by submit.

Yes: The <rfc version=“3”…  attribute.

The surprising behavior of the submission interface has been confusing people trying to upload drafts during this transition, to no end.

The submission interface should allow specifying that an XML source being submitted is intended for v3 processing (and needs to be converted using --v2v3 if that attribute is missing).

(Kramdown-rfc’s kdrfc command line tool now has a -c flag, which adds generating a .v2v3.xml that is useful for submission; the “normal” way to run kdrfc before submission now is with -ch3 flags.)

Grüße, Carsten