Subject: Zeroconf Requirements: Reverse name lookup

From: Stuart Cheshire <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 20:04:42 -0800

The point was raised at the San Diego meeting that, although it may seem 
obvious to many that forward name lookups and reverse name lookups go 
hand-in-hand, the draft does not *explicitly* require the capability to 
do reverse name lookups. This omission could be a problem, because if a 
zeroconf name resolution protocol were implemented which did not support 
reverse name lookups, it would be compliant with the requirements 
document yet fail to usefully meet the needs of many current IP 
applications.

It was generally agreed that this omission was not a deliberate design 
decision by the working group, but merely an oversight which should be 
corrected along with the other typographic corrections being made for 
draft-07 which resulted out of the discussions during the last-call 
period.

Please post any dissenting opinions to the list by Friday 12th January. 
If no dissenting opinions are received, then the draft will be revised to 
indicate that the capability to do both forward and reverse name lookups 
is required.

Stuart Cheshire <[email-masked]>
 * Wizard Without Portfolio, Apple Computer
 * Chairman, IETF ZEROCONF
 * www.stuartcheshire.org

---

From: "McDonald, Ira" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 19:26:06 -0800

Hi Stuart,

I agree that both forward and reverse lookups should be required
in the ZC Requirements.

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald, consulting architect at Sharp and Xerox
  High North Inc