Subject: zmaap suggestion: eliminate lease times

From: Erik Guttman Sun Frankfurt Staff Engineer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 14:45:38 +0-100

In draft-ietf-zeroconf-zmaap-00.txt any mini-MAAS can
reallocate or deallocate an address just by multicasting
an AIU with the same ID and a different time.

One concern brought up at the WG meeting was that this
could very easily cause bad interactions among mini-MAASs
(one wants a lifetime of X, the other of Y, so they go 
back and forth on it in a shouting match).

Stuart and I were discussing this in the hallway after
the WG meeting and he made what I think is a great
suggestion:  Why have lease times at all?   An allocation
could be considered to exist only as long as some mini-MAAS
is willing to defend it (like the allocator and any mini-MAAS
which has had an application register interest in the allocation).  

Implications:

 1. No shouting matches would occur
 2. There would be no notion of deallocation
 3. Soft state caching of AIUs would be hard to do
    without lease times, but this isn't needed for
    correct operation.
 4. The protocol would be a lot simpler.

Thoughts?

Erik

---

From: Daniel Senie <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 11:18:21 -0500

>  4. The protocol would be a lot simpler.

This sounds good.

I was concerned also about deallocation from another perspective, that
being a host which allocated and was using an address, and then crashed
without deallocation. That added messiness in trying to reclaim
addresses which had been lost into such limbo. The approach outlined
above removes that concern.

Dan

-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Daniel Senie                                        [email-masked]
Amaranth Networks Inc.                    http://www.amaranth.com