Subject: Host Profile for Zero Configuration Networking

From: Erik Guttman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 17:38:33 +0200 (MET DST)

We have a chartered work item which we have not yet embarked upon.

 Aug 01   Submit internet-draft to be considered as an Informational 
          RFC on Host Profile for Zero Configuration Networking.

The charter describes this host profile as follows:

  This WG will produce two documents. The first describes the 
  requirements for the configuration (and security) services, 
  defaults, and mechanisms a node needs to fully participate 
  on ZEROCONF networks and/or configured networks. The second, 
  which follows the first, will detail a 'profile' specifying 
  which standards specifically satisfy ZEROCONF requirements. 

I propose to create an internet draft before the i-d cutoff 
date which essentially says:

 - Address Autoconfiguration IPv4: use v4LL autoconf, v6 ADDRCONF
 - Name Resolution: use mDNS (ipv4 and ipv6)
 - Service Discovery: use SLPv2 for distinct services (ones you 
   want to select among by attributes), use DNS SRV and mDNS for
   services which are indistinct (like SMTP relays, recursive
   back end DNS resolvers, etc.) (ipv4 and ipv6)
 - Multicast address allocation: use ZMAAP (ipv4 and ipv6)

Note that (1) mDNS and ZMAAP are not yet through WG last call,
that is, work is not yet complete, (2) a security section to
the profile doc will describe how to meet zeroconf security
requirements with these protocols and (3) the profile document's
category (should it be Informational, BCP, what?)

Please discuss.

Erik