Subject: zeroconf host profile as Applicability Statement

From: Erik Guttman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 16:43:46 +0200 (MET DST)

Folks,

RFC 2026, section 3.2 defines an applicability statement as a 
standards track document which can 

 - group together standards track technical specifications 
 - define requiremnt levels for these
 - define a domain of applicability

My proposal is to issue the host profile document (when it is
done) as a standards track applicability statement.

The only changes needed to the 00 doc are to change the following:

Title
             Zeroconf Host Profile Applicability Statement

Abstract
 
   This document specifies a set of Zero Configuration Protocols which
   combined support the Zero Configuration domain of applicability.
   This host profile supports the same upper layer feature set as
   defined in STD 3 [RFC 1123] by hosts lacking any prior configuration,
   though in a restricted domain.

New section: Zero Configuration Domain of Applicability

x.  The Zero Configuration Domain of Applicability
 
   Hosts which lack any specific configuration have zero configuration.
   The zero configuration domain of applicability concerns hosts with
   zero configuration for specific functions
 
x.1.  Zero configuration is not all or nothing
 
   A host may be configured with regard to some functions and have zero
   configuration for others.  For example, a host may lack IP interface
   configuration (described in Section 4.1) but have naming
   configuration (described in Section 4.2)  In this case, zero
   configuration IP interface autoconfiguration will be used by a host
   adhering to the Zeroconf Host Profile.
 
x.2.  Configured vs. Zero Configuration Protocol behavior
 
   Zero configuration behavior in each area is well defined.  The
   specific behavior of a host when it becomes configured varies.  Each
   protocol which supports the zero configuration protocol requirements
   varies in this respect.
 
   IPv4 Link-local IP Interace Configuration [7] and IPv6 address
   autoconfiguration, [RFC 2461] and ZMAAP [12] are used whether an
   interface is configued or not.
 
   Link-local Multicast DNS [10] by default is only used when a host has
   no configured DNS server, unless specifically configure to enable
   link-local Multicast behavior.

   SLPv2 [RFC 2608] always operates in a zero configuration mode,
   transitions in behavior and reconfiguration occur automatically.
   (SLPv2 agents may also be configured manually, but that does this
   does not reduce or change their automatic functions.)
 
x.3.  Scalability and network configuration
 
   The zero configuration domain of applicability includes any IP
   network which supports multicast (though only broadcast is needed for
   IPv4 link-local interface configuration).  Some protocols described
   in this applicability statement are defined to only operate using
   link-local addressing and link-local scope multicast.  This is not an
   inherant limitation of this domain of applicability - for example,
   SLPv2 [RFC 2608] is defined to operate at admin local scope [RFC
   2365] for IPv4 and site local scope for IPv6. [RFC 3111]  In any
   case, the zero configuration domain of applicability is a network
   under a single common administration, and in some cases only a single
   network link.

Erik

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
To see the changes folded in please see:

  http://www.neato.org/~femur/draft-ietf-zeroconf-host-prof-01.txt

As I posted draft-ietf-zeroconf-host-prof-00.txt last week, the 01
revision will probably not get in before the deadline.  Thus, the 00
doc is really the one we need to discuss for IETF 51.