Subject: Re: Last Call: Dynamic Configuration of IPv4 link-local addresses to Proposed Standard

From: Marc Blanchet <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 21:47:40 -0400

I was looking a month ago for a reference on arp-self (i.e. the DAD in 
IPv6) that many ipv4 implementations do. The author of this draft (Stuart) 
kindly responded to me that the draft includes info on this.

Since self-arp is ipv4 generic and not necessarily associated with 
zeroconf, as noted in the draft, I would recommend to:
- extract all data related to arp-self (essentially section 2.2 and 
beginning section 2) from this draft and make another draft.
- from ipv4-linklocal, reference the new draft for self-arp
- push the 2 as RFC.

this will enable an implementor to reference the arp-self document without 
necessarily supporting the ipv4-linklocal draft.

A suggestion.

Marc.

At/À 15:37 2001-07-25 -0400, The IESG you wrote/vous écriviez:

>The IESG has received a request from the Zero Configuration Networking
>Working Group to consider Dynamic Configuration of IPv4 link-local
>addresses <draft-ietf-zeroconf-ipv4-linklocal-04.txt> as a Proposed
>Standard.
>
>The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
>final comments on this action.  Please send any comments to the
>[email-masked] or [email-masked] mailing lists by August 25, 2001.
>
>Files can be obtained via
>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-zeroconf-ipv4-linklocal-04.txt