Subject: Re: IETF 51 ZEROCONF Minutes

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 11:55:10 -0400

> > > > IP addresses are intended to be used directly.   DNS is optional.
> > > > Many applications expect IP addresses to be stable for weeks or more and
> > > > not to be changed on a whim.
> > > 
> > > Most servers run with static addresses, and don't use DHCP. For similar
> > > reasons, I would expect that those servers will not want to serve clients
> > > using a linklocal address.
> > 
> > right, but one of the justifications for linklocal addresses is to support
> > plug-and-play appliances, and any $49 printer is a server.
> 
> That's one reason why service discovery is so important.  If one
> cannot locate one's server by IP address, one can locate it using
> a discovery protocol.

right, and my point relative to the "how to get an IP address" document 
is merely that a reader has a hard time seeing how the address selection 
protocol will be used if he doesn't know that a service discovery or
name-to-address lookup protocol is also intended to be part of the picture.

Keith