Subject: Re: IETF 51 ZEROCONF Minutes

From: Stuart Cheshire <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 20:14:47 -0700

>Most servers run with static addresses, and don't use DHCP. For similar
>reasons, I would expect that those servers will not want to serve clients
>using a linklocal address.

Except that increasingly, people with home servers on cable modems using 
DHCP use dynamic DNS services to provide stable names for those servers.

The requirement for a server to have a constant IP address is really 
going away.

Stuart Cheshire <[email-masked]>
 * Wizard Without Portfolio, Apple Computer
 * Chairman, IETF ZEROCONF
 * www.stuartcheshire.org

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 13:35:52 -0400

> The requirement for a server to have a constant IP address is really

that's simply false.  lots of applications still require
stable names, and DNS is often not an acceptable substitute.

Keith