Subject: Re: Comments on draft-ietf-zeroconf-ipv4-linklocal-04.txt

From: Aidan Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2001 16:26:05 +1000

Bernard Aboba wrote:
> In contrast, if I leave the door to my house open, I can only be robbed by
> people who happen to be in the vicinity at the time. To rob my house, the
> criminal has to be in that physical location, and will leave evidence of
> his/her presence (fingerprinters, DNA, etc.). It can be argued that moving
> from the "Internet crime" paradigm to the "local criminal" paradigm
> reduces the risk of theft by orders of magnitude -- bringing us back to
> the "antique" model of criminality that existed prior to the Internet. 

> It's only value is restricting the source to someone within some
> reasonable proximity of the destination. Even with 802.11 networks, home
> phone & powerline networks, etc. we are talking about fairly small
> proximity.

Right -- you make a good point.

One case which still bothers me is the possibility of "casing" or
gaining an inventory of a home network via a wireless or powerline
network.  Powerline and 802.11 are close proximity networks, but
they don't require entry to exploit.

regards
	aidan
____
:wq!

Communications and Networks Lab         [email-masked]
Motorola Australian Research Centre          phone: +61 2 9666 0649
Locked Bag 5028, Botany NSW 1455              phax: +61 2 9666 0501
Australia                            http://cnlab.arc.corp.mot.com/