Subject: IPv4 link-local IP configuration implementations for Unix?

From: Sebastian Kuzminsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2001 15:20:16 -0700

Is there currently any Unix implementation of the algorithms described
in the draft 'Dynamic Configuration of IPv4 Link-Local Addresses',
either stand-alone or as a fallback mechanism for a DHCP client?

Sebastian

---

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 15:46:44 -0700 (PDT)

If I recall correctly, one of the Linux DHCP clients (ISC?) had
implemented IPv4 linklocal addressing, though not according to the
the zeroconf draft. However, the standard DHCP client shipped with
distributions such as SuSE does not appear to implement this.

---

From: Josh Graessley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 16:06:56 -0700

Mac OS X and Darwin support IPv4 link-local addresses. I believe 
there were some modifications made to the kernel's arp code, but 
most of the support is built in to configd.

-josh