Subject: Re: internet draft

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 09:47:56 +0100

Dear all,

based on the feedback I received after my talk during the 51st IETF 
meeting in London
I prepared an Internet-draft that is currently available at

ftp://ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-vanderstok-zeroconf-issues-00.txt

In the draft I try to identify situations in which ambiguities exist with 
respect to the deployment of
zero-configuration protocols. Most of the concerns are related to 
situations between
a small completely unconfigured network and a network that is competely 
configured with DHCP servers.

As Stuart Cheshire pointed out, many issues are easily resolved. However, 
multiple
possibly conflicting solutions are possible for most of them.
It is my opinion that zeroconf WG can play a role in coordinating and 
identifying areas where
the removal of configuration administration  can lead to conflicting 
implementations.
Recommendations can be formulated in the Zeroconf Host Profile 
Applicability Statement.

I know that some people disagree.

Peter

Peter van der Stok                Philips Research Laboratories Eindhoven
Bldg: WDC 1-015                  Prof. Holstlaan 4
Phone: +31 40 2742649       5656 AA Eindhoven
Fax:      +31 40 2745033       The Netherlands
Mailto: Peter.van.der.Stok@ philips.com

---

From: Jim Busse <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 14:36:08 -0800

Peter:
 
Please help me understand.   I was a little confused after reading your
draft.  I think most of the draft revolves around naming services, so:
 
Is it your suggestion that Zeroconf expand its scope to include the
specification of a naming service which would comply with the Zeroconf
protocol requirements?
 
Or is your suggestion that Zeroconf WG provide some "suggestions" or
"recommendations" how naming services could comply with Zeroconf
requirements?
 
If your suggestion is not accurately summarized by either of these, could
you please help me understand by giving me a simple summary of your
suggestion? 
 
Thanks.
 
Jim Busse

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2001 12:48 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: internet draft

Dear all, 

based on the feedback I received after my talk during the 51st IETF meeting
in London 
I prepared an Internet-draft that is currently available at 

zero-configuration protocols. Most of the concerns are related to situations
between 

Recommendations can be formulated in the Zeroconf Host Profile Applicability
Statement. 

Peter