Subject: Truncate bit

From: Michael Rutman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2002 19:16:45 -0400

Sorry if this has already been addressed, but I was reading 
draft-cheshire-dnsext-multicast and came across this.

17.5. TC (Truncated) Bit

    In query messages, the Truncated bit MUST be zero on transmission,
    and MUST be ignored on reception.

    In response messages, if the message does not contain all the data
    the requester was looking for, the requester SHOULD open a TCP
    connection to the responder and repeat the query.

How do you open a TCP connection to a multicast address?  If it means 
the requester should open a TCP connection unicast, how does it find 
the address?

--

---

From: Aidan Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2002 10:48:08 +1000

> the requester should open a TCP connection unicast, how does it find

You open the TCP connection to the unicast source address contained
in the response with the truncated bit set, not to a multicast
address.

- aidan