Subject: Multiple Networks

From: "Phaneendra Kumar Piratla" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2002 21:46:10 -0400

I have few questions regarding the zeroconf protocol which I am unclear about.

Can there be two or more separate zeroconf networks, existing simultaneously at one point in space?
If so, how does hosts react when they come under the area of another zeroconf network?  

Thanks in advance,
Phani.

---

From: Brad Hards <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 12:09:34 +1000

On Mon, 8 Jul 2002 11:46, Phaneendra Kumar Piratla wrote:
> Can there be two or more separate zeroconf networks, existing
> simultaneously at one point in space? If so, how does hosts react when they
> come under the area of another zeroconf network?
I am not sure I understand what you mean when you talk about a network 
existing a "point in space". The concept of network (to me, at least) 
inherently requires two or more parties, and two things can't generally exist 
in the same place at the same time. This is much more fundamental than 
zeroconf.

If you mean "if I have two seperate zeroconf networks and join them" (say by 
connecting two previously seperate LAN segments) or "if I have a zeroconf 
host and move it to another network" (say, the host is wireless), then those 
situations are specifically covered in the IETF draft.

If that is not what you mean, then you need to rephrase the question before I 
can help you. A specific example might help.

Brad
-- 
http://conf.linux.org.au. 22-25Jan2003. Perth, Australia. Birds in Black.