Subject: List of Service Types

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 14:13:07 EDT

Greetings List,

In his speech at Apple's developer conference last spring, Stewart 
Cheshire said that a list of Zeroconf registered Service Types 
(e.g. _printer) is available from IANA at

   http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers   

I could not find any Zeroconf registered service types at this location.
Does anyone know where I can find the current list of registered 
Service Types?

Noel Enete

---

From: joe holt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 12:29:49 -0700

First read RFC 2782. It says:

>   The symbolic name of the desired service, as defined in Assigned
>   Numbers [STD 2] or locally.  An underscore (_) is prepended to
>   the service identifier to avoid collisions with DNS labels that
>   occur in nature.
>
>   Some widely used services, notably POP, don't have a single
>   universal name.  If Assigned Numbers names the service
>   indicated, that name is the only name which is legal for SRV
>   lookups.  The Service is case insensitive.

Then take a look at RFC 1700, which is the most recent list of port numbers
and service names (duplicated at the web address you sited).

For example, it lists the keywords ftp, ssh, printer (specifically a printer
that speaks lpr), etc. The SRV name for all of these is "_<service>._tcp" or
"_<service>._udp", as appropriate.

There are no specific "Zeroconf registered service types."

/joe

---

From: Erik Guttman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 10:22:45 +0200 (CEST)

>    http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers   

No abstract service such as printer is listed as a port number.
Only specific services are.  For printing, for example, you find 

printer         515/tcp    spooler
printer         515/udp    spooler

But this is none other than the LPR protocol [RFC 1179].
Other printing protocols listed in the port numbers registry are

                 35/tcp    any private printer server
                 35/udp    any private printer server
npp              92/tcp    Network Printing Protocol
npp              92/udp    Network Printing Protocol
print-srv       170/tcp    Network PostScript              
print-srv       170/udp    Network PostScript
ipp		631/tcp    IPP (Internet Printing Protocol)
ipp		631/udp    IPP (Internet Printing Protocol)
pdps		1314/tcp   Photoscript Distributed Printing System
pdps            1314/udp   Photoscript Distributed Printing System
iclpv-pm        1392/udp   Print Manager   
iclpv-pm        1392/tcp   Print Manager   
kme-trap-port   2081/tcp   KME PRINTER TRAP PORT
kme-trap-port   2081/udp   KME PRINTER TRAP PORT
ndl-aps         3096/tcp   Active Print Server Port
ndl-aps         3096/udp   Active Print Server Port
printer_agent	3396/tcp   Printer Agent
printer_agent	3396/udp   Printer Agent
jprinter	5309/tcp   J Printer
jprinter	5309/tcp   J Printer
mindprint	8033/tcp    MindPrint
mindprint	8033/udp    MindPrint
xprint-server   8100/tcp    Xprint Server
xprint-server   8100/udp    Xprint Server

Many of these entries are no longer used or represent protocols for
which it is difficult to get specifications.  Note also that ports
assigned for Netware over IP, Netbios over IP, Appletalk over IP
even Banyan over IP can be used to get printer location information
at least for printing using Novell, Microsoft, Apple, Banyan, etc
printing protocols.

> I could not find any Zeroconf registered service types at this location.

There are no 'zeroconf' registered service types.

> Does anyone know where I can find the current list of registered 

SLP is not a protocol designed or standardized by the ZEROCONF
working group.  It can be used for service discovery by clients
to find services on networks with no prior configuration.

SLP registered service type templates [RFC 2609] are at

  http://www.iana.org/assignments/svrloc-templates.htm

Registration of additional templates is simple - requiring only
a week or so of interaction with the SVRLOC template designated 
expert (me).

By convention you can also use port-number assignements in 
service URLs.  For example:  service:chargen://<host>[ ':' <port> ]
would be the location of a chargen service.

Erik