Subject: The Status of the ZEROCONF WG

From: Erik Guttman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 11:23:29 +0200 (MEST)

The ZEROCONF WG has two charter items it needs to complete:

 1. The revised Zeroconf Requirements document
 2. The revised IPv4 Link Local Address autoconfiguration document

Both have been through last calls and require final clean up and
the approval 'process' with the IESG.  This work is proceeding
very slowly, regretfully, but we need to come to closure.

====================================================================
ACTION:  DROP ZMAAP and HOST PROFILE ITEMS FROM CHARTER?

Other efforts have dropped off entirely and should be eliminated 
from the charter:

 - Zeroconf Multicast Address Allocation Protocol
 - Zeroconf Host Profile

Please send comments on this proposal to the list.
====================================================================

Please note we are not chartered to work on multicast name 
resolution or service discovery protocol standardization
though we do discuss the requirements for them in [1] above. 

Erik Guttman
ZEROCONF Cochair

---

From: Aidan Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 10:52:40 +1000

> very slowly, regretfully, but we need to come to closure.

I'm about to do a new version of the requirements document.
If you have comments, now would be a good time to air them.

I support this.  At present I don't see major interest in ZMAAP,
and I think a zeroconf host profile would probably be honoured
more in the breach than the observance.

Localised multicast address allocation seems a lot easier in IPv6,
and I don't see a compelling need to do the ipv4 work right now.

-- 

regards
	aidan
____
:wq!

Sydney Network Research Lab             [email-masked]
Motorola Australian Research Centre          phone: +61 2 9666 0649
Locked Bag 5028, Botany NSW 1455              phax: +61 2 9666 0501
Australia                            http://marc.labs.mot.com/snrl/