Subject: RE: Zeroconf and UPnP

From: "Venkatesh Raju" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 09:39:52 -0700

Hi Erik,
   Thanks for responding! The charter of the two groups appear to be similar
although UPnP appears to be looking at an expanded scope - services and
applications in addition to address configuration.

I guess I'll rephrase my question in a different way: if I were developing
say a printer, home router, or other peripheral, would I implement UPnP or
zeroconf?

Thanks,
Venky

-----Original Message-----
From: Erik Guttman [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, July 18, 2002 6:14 AM
To: Raju, Venkatesh [SC101:6909:EXCH]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Zeroconf and UPnP

Venkatesh,

On Wed, 17 Jul 2002, Venkatesh Raju wrote:
> 	I'm curious about the relationship between the Zeroconf working
> group and the UPnP forum.  While I've not studied the drafts extensively
it
> appears that both are addressing the same problems and in the same spaces.
> If this topic has been discussed below I apologize for bringing it up
again;
> a pointer to the previous thread would be appreciated!

The zeroconf working group is a working group of the ietf.
See www.ietf.org.

The UPnP forum is an industry consortium.
See www.upnp.org.

These two organizations have no official relationship.  

Erik Guttman
ZEROCONF cochair

---

From: Erik Guttman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 19:35:24 +0200

Venkatesh Raju wrote:

>    Thanks for responding! The charter of the two groups appear to be 
> similar although UPnP appears to be looking at an expanded scope - 
> services and applications in addition to address configuration.
> 
> I guess I'll rephrase my question in a different way: if I were 
> developing say a printer, home router, or other peripheral, would I 
> implement UPnP or zeroconf?

Whether a vendor uses IETF standards or proprietary protocols is a
decision which we have no influence over.  Our goal is to produce the
best standards we can.

Erik

---

From: Robert Elz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 11:56:57 +0900

Date:        Thu, 18 Jul 2002 19:35:24 +0200
    From:        Erik Guttman <[email-masked]>
    Message-ID:  <[email-masked]>

  | Whether a vendor uses IETF standards or proprietary protocols is a
  | decision which we have no influence over.  Our goal is to produce the
  | best standards we can.

This is all quite true - but is also singularly unhelpful.
You might (almost) as well have said that IETF meetings supply
coffee to attendees...

Another thing that the IETF (and its working groups) do, or should do,
is produce applicability statements, to give some guidance to
implementors as to exactly when it is appropriate to implement each
of the standards that are produced, and when it is not.

That kind of thing seems to be what was being requested here, and it
is an entirely reasonable request.

kre