Subject: Service Discovery and the ZEROCONF WG

From: Erik Guttman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 11:28:03 +0200 (MEST)

While there were hopes that the ZEROCONF WG could work out the
differences between different service discovery options, it has
become clear that this will not happen.  The best we can do is
publish the section on service discovery in the latest ZEROCONF
requirements documents.

 - The ZEROCONF WG is not in the position to 'pick winners.'
   It is up to vendors to decide what protocols to implement.
   It is not within the ZEROCONF charter to do any service
   discovery protocol standardization.

 - There is disagreement among participants whether service 
   discovery is a 'naming' function, a la AppleTalk, or a 
   service-distinguishing 'search' function, as per SLP.
   This disagreement divides the WG chairs, I must add.

 - There requirements of service discovery have been a matter 
   for continual debate and redefinition, leading to little 
   practical progress.  What scale does it need to perform at?
   What functions does it need to provide?  What security?
   How does the namespace (and attribute space) get managed?

I want to set the expectations of those participating in the 
recent thread on service discovery.  There is little the
ZEROCONF WG can do, given its charter and history to resolve 
these issues.

Erik Guttman
ZEROCONF Cochair