Subject: Re: Slightly OT: Apple to Release Source Code to its zeroconf implementation

From: Stuart Cheshire <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 12:34:22 -0700

>Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
>There are several problems with this text.
>
>ZeroConf is not a standard (yet).

John is of course right.

Zeroconf is NOT an IETF Standard (yet).

I apologize for any misinformation that may be being disseminated. 
However, while I can apologize for it, there is little I can do to stop 
it. I can't control what independent journalists write, and Apple's PR 
team doesn't like journalists talking to anyone but appointed Apple 
spokespersons, so I rarely get the chance to explain to those journalists 
the difference between an Internet Draft, Informational RFC, Proposed 
Standard RFC, etc.

I do try to keep Apple's own Web pages honest. For example, the marketing 
people insist on calling IPv4 Link-Local addressing an "industry 
standard" (because Apple and Microsoft have been shipping it in large 
volumes for over four years) but I don't let them call it an "IETF 
Standard", because it is not.

Stuart Cheshire <[email-masked]>
 * Wizard Without Portfolio, Apple Computer
 * Chairman, IETF ZEROCONF
 * www.stuartcheshire.org

---

From: "Jim Fleming" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 16:29:44 -0500

From: "Stuart Cheshire" <[email-masked]>
"...IPv4 Link-Local addressing an "industry  standard"...."
"(because Apple and Microsoft have been shipping it in large volumes for over four years)"
==============================

Are you saying that large companies can bypass ICANN (aka IANA) and take large blocks of
IPv4 Address space ?....and justify that on the basis that they ship products for years in volume ?

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/A/APIPA.html
"The IP address range is 169.254.0.1 through 169.254.255.254."
====

Do TLDs also work that way ?....can large companies just take them ?...and bypass ICANN (IANA) ?

How about special e-mail addresses ?....Does Cheshire.C@t work ?
Should we release the C@t ?
http://www.ddj.com/articles/1993/9310/
http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0208/25.jaguar.php

Jim Fleming
2002:[IPv4]:000X:03DB:...IPv8 is closer than you think...
http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/domainname/130dftmail/unir.txt
3:75 APPLE

---

From: Joshua Graessley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 14:46:59 -0700

> "(because Apple and Microsoft have been shipping it in large volumes  

According to the draft, the 169.254/16 range has been registered with  
IANA.
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-zeroconf-ipv4- 
linklocal-07.txt>

-josh