Subject: Re: DNS-SRV

From: Stuart Cheshire <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 16:15:54 -0700

>I am new to this list so forgive the newby question, but I would
>like to know if DNS-SRV [RFC2782] is under consideration as the
>service discovery mechanism for the Zeroconf initiative.

The IETF is an organization populated by individuals who come together to 
work on protocol design.

This members of this Working Group, Zeroconf, working together, 
identified "discovery of services available on the network" as one of the 
basic requirements for Zeroconf networking.

In my capacity as an individual contributor, not as co-chairman of the 
group, I made an individual submission proposing what I believe is the 
best way to meet that requirement:

<http://files.dns-sd.org/draft-cheshire-dnsext-nias.txt>

At the present time this document is an individual submission, not a 
product of the Working Group as a whole.

Stuart Cheshire <[email-masked]>
 * Wizard Without Portfolio, Apple Computer
 * Chairman, IETF ZEROCONF
 * www.stuartcheshire.org