Subject: Point of Order

From: Stuart Cheshire <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 14:43:35 -0700

> I have done a lot of work with appletalk (including implementing
> all the bits that are relevant here).   It isn't too hard to
> implement (localtalk aside, but that's not relevant) it is
> horrible to maintain (ever tried to change a zone name?).

The charter of this working group is to work on the problem of:

* making IP networking work...
* with zero user configuration and...
* zero dependence on external infrastructure to provide configuration.

If someone wishes to make a brief observation that achieving this goal 
would allow us to retire AppleTalk (and that would be a good thing), then 
that is acceptable.

However, protracted in-depth arguments about how easy (or hard) it may be 
(or may not be) to run a large AppleTalk network are out of scope for 
this list. This is not the "Bash AppleTalk Working Group" (or the 
"Support AppleTalk Working Group"). This Working Group has nothing to do 
with AppleTalk, except inasmuch as if we are successful, then people may 
not need to keep using AppleTalk much longer.

Stuart Cheshire <[email-masked]>
 * Wizard Without Portfolio, Apple Computer
 * Chairman, IETF ZEROCONF
 * www.stuartcheshire.org