Subject: DNS-SD/NIAS TXT record templates

From: Aidan Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 11:28:33 +1000

Hi all,

One of the things that bugs me about the DNS-SD/NIAS proposal is the
use of TXT records to return the "other stuff" that is needed to use
a discovered service.  One example given is the lpr print queue name..

Are we really happy to do this?  What if the printer has two queues?
Do we end up putting lumps of XML, or RDF, or comma seperated thingies
into the TXT record?  Surely we don't want to go there...

To have interoperability the contents and parsing of these TXT records
needs to be specified somewhere.  This would be pretty much the same
as creating an SLP service template.  Creating yet another one of
these doesn't appear to me as an obvious win.

Are there any other options?

-- 

regards
	aidan
____
:wq!

Sydney Network Research Lab             [email-masked]
Motorola Australian Research Centre          phone: +61 2 9666 0649
Locked Bag 5028, Botany NSW 1455              phax: +61 2 9666 0501
Australia                            http://marc.labs.mot.com/snrl/