Subject: Please remove from the list

From: "Thomas, Stephane" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 15:45:17 -0400

Hello,

I would like to be removed from this list please. My e-mail address is:
[email-masked]

Thank you!
steph

-----Original Message-----
From: John C. Welch [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, August 30, 2002 12:37 PM
To: Zeroconf
Subject: Re: non-DNS name services

On Friday, Aug 30, 2002, at 13:32 US/Eastern, Keith Moore wrote:

>> But you won't know for sure with *just* testing, or *just* analysis.
>> You *have* to have both.
>
> but you do not need to have all of your analysis verified by testing,
> or vice versa.  analysis and testing tend to cover different cases -
> you learn from each of them, but you can only use one to verify the
> other when they overlap.

You still get better results from both, and unverified analysis is 
never as reliable.

>
> for instance, there's no practical way to test the effect of zeroconf
> protocols on the wide variety of applications and wide variety of
> network configurations that are out there.  the most test coverage you
> can hope for is to try it with the applications you use normally and
> on a few specific network configurations.  that's not even a drop in 
> the
> bucket.

If enough people test it, the bucket is filled.

john

****************************************************************************
This email may contain confidential material.
If you were not an intended recipient, 
Please notify the sender and delete all copies.
We may monitor email to and from our network.

****************************************************************************