Subject: general zeroconf co-existance requirements

From: Aidan Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 15:08:03 +1000

I have added the second paragraph and the three requirements
on the basis of recent mailing list discussion.
The security requirement is repeated (and expanded upon)
later in the document.

If you have comments, please suggest text.

1.3 Zeroconf Coexistence

    It is not necessary to simultaneously use zeroconf protocols in all
    four areas (i.e.  IP interface configuration, translation between
    host name and IP address, IP multicast address allocation, service
    discovery).  For example, it may make sense on some networks to
    provide a DHCP server for configured IP interface configuration, but
    perform translation between host name and IP address using a zeroconf
    protocol.

    Given that zeroconf protocols may be deployed on existing configured
    networks, care must be taken in their design to ensure minimum
    disruption to existing networks and applications.  Particular
    consideration should be given to the security implications of
    deploying zeroconf protocols in conjunction with standard configured
    network protocols.

    Requirements:

    o  Zeroconf protocols SHOULD minimise their impact on existing
       networks

    o  Zeroconf protocols SHOULD minimise impact on existing
       applications.

    o  Zeroconf protocols MUST NOT be any less secure than related
       current IETF-Standard protocols.

-- 

regards
	aidan
____
:wq!

Sydney Network Research Lab             [email-masked]
Motorola Australian Research Centre          phone: +61 2 9666 0649
Locked Bag 5028, Botany NSW 1455              phax: +61 2 9666 0501
Australia                            http://marc.labs.mot.com/snrl/