Subject: another wrinkle

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 11:12:27 -0400

I've seen a couple of people (most recently Erik Nordmark on the v6ops list) 
suggest using v4LL as a means to allow hosts to acquire v4 addresses that 
can then be used in conjunction with NATs to give those hosts external access.

I don't think either the security implications of this approach or the
impact on applications associated with this approach have been adequately
examined.

I don't know what changes to suggest to the LL document except perhaps
to state the above, and as yet another good reason to weaken the 
"hosts may assume LL addresses are local" claim. 

Keith

---

From: "John C. Welch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 11:16:56 -0400

> "hosts may assume LL addresses are local" claim.

None. There is absolutely no way to cleanly deal with that inside of ten
pages of implementation details. The problem you talk about WRT LL and NAT
exists now with any other address assignment method and NAT anyway.
Restating the obvious is a waste of electrons.

john

-- 
John C. Welch
IT Manager
MIT Police
(617) 253 - 3093 work
(508) 579 - 7380 cell
(617) 253 - 8822 fax