Subject: Re: Slightly OT: Apple to Release Source Code to its zeroconf implementation

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2002 22:03:50 -0400

> Zeroconf is NOT an IETF Standard (yet).

Stuart, if you're claming that zeroconf is ANY kind of standard, then
you're misleading people.  

And what Apple and Microsoft have been shipping for most of the past
four years differs in very important ways from what is in the current
linklocal spec.

Keith

---

From: "John C. Welch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2002 22:49:44 -0400

> you're misleading people.

Define 'industry standard'. Real world, it's whatever the industry 
wants it to be. Java is a great example of an industry standard.

> four years differs in very important ways from what is in the current

Um...Apple only started shipping Rendezvous August 24th. Prior to that, 
the only way to assign addresses was:

1)	Manually
2)	DHCP
3)	Bootp
4)	PPPoE
5)	PPP

Microsoft is another story altogether. But you can't tar both companies 
with the same brush if you trying to be fair about things.

john

---

From: Alex Karahalios <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2002 20:01:27 -0700

Hi John,

Not to pick any nits here, but Apple had link local addressing prior to 
Rendezvous. I think it's even mentioned in one of the zeroconf drafts.

Alex Karahalios

On Sunday, September 1, 2002, at 07:49  PM, John C. Welch wrote:

> Um...Apple only started shipping Rendezvous August 24th. Prior to 
> that, the only way to assign addresses was: