Subject: response to John Welch's bogus assertions

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2002 21:27:04 -0500

Folks,

I've prepared a response to John Welch's latest set of bogus assertions
about the nature of scoped addresses, distributed apps, IP, and this 
group's purpose.  If anyone wants to read it, let me know via a private 
reply and I'll send it via private mail.  But I'm not going to waste this
list's bandwidth with it.

Keith

---

From: "John C. Welch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2002 22:31:07 -0500

> list's bandwidth with it.

Well, it would be about time that you showed a clear example of an app that
can be tested. I'm just sorry that you had to be beaten about the head and
shoulders so much by so many people to do so. But please, by all means, send
to me too.

But if you want to call "ease of use" bogus, then I'm not surprised at all.
I've yet to meet too many folks creating networks who really cared at all
about what happens to non-geeks who use them, outside of one company, namely
Apple. 

I will stand by my remarks on the purpose of this group without flinching or
backing down one bit. If we don't make IP as easy, or easier to use as
Appletalk, then the group is a failure. I'm tired of calls from people who
just want this to work. They don't mind minor setups, but are tired of it
taking 20 minutes to set up to play a game, or print something. We spend
*millions*, possibly closer to *billions* on mouse algorigthms and
behaviors, and yet haven't significantly improved IP networking since DHCP
and DyDNS. I can cluster a group of Playstation 2's easier than I can set up
an ad hoc network, and a lot faster as well.

And no, I don't think that 'wait for IPv6' is an acceptable answer. It seems
that there are too many people who are willing to once again, force everyone
to do things the hard way just to avoid the possibility that a geek won't be
able to configure something.

Well, the geeks can deal. Networking is no longer the realm of geeks. It's
the realm of plain folks, and right now, there isn't a decent IPv4 config
model out there for non-geeks. DHCP isn't it, DNS was never it.

If it takes more than:

Make sure connections are there, (wires plugged in, wireless card physically
in computer).

Make sure IP networking is on, (this is a default setting).

Start doing networking stuff.

Then it isn't easy enough, and it isn't zeroconf.

What part of that is so hard to understand?

john

-- 
John C. Welch
Consultant III
Administrative Computing
(617) 253 - 1368 work
(508) 579 - 7380 cell
bynkii2          AIM