Subject: Re: Responses so far

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 11:25:05 +0900

>It's Thanksgiving, so most people are off work, but here is a summary of 
>the responses I've received so far:
>
>People willing to argue in support of Option 2
>(Set TTL=1 on transmit, check TTL==1 on receipt)
>RJ Atkinson
>
>If your name is not listed, and you feel you have a technical opinion 
>you'd be willing to support, please send mail to the list or to me 
>privately. Please try to keep your email short and to-the-point. For 
>example, Keith Moore has written a great volume of email, but I can't 
>tell which of these positions (if any) he is advocating.

	i'd support option 2, since IPv4 link local address appeared later
	in the IPv4 deployment, so routers do not implement any special
	rules for avoiding off-ilnk forwarding of packets with IPv4 link local
	address.  therefore, with TTL=255 packet might leak off-link, to
	very distant location (in the way of default route, or whatever).
	the situation is quite different from IPv6 link local address case.

itojun