Subject: IPv4LL Issue: Miscellaneous -09 NITs

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 06:47:13 -0700 (PDT)

Submitter: Thomas Narten
Submitter email address: [email-masked]
Date first submitted: September 25, 2003
Reference:
Document: IPv4LL-09
Comment type: E/T
Priority: S
Section: Various
Rationale/Explanation of issue:

Throughout the document, change the unprintable character <B4>
to "'"

In the abstract, change:

"Communication using Link-Local IPv4 addresses is not suitable
for communication with devices not directly connected to the
same physical (or logical) link."

To:

"Link-Local IPv4 addresses are not suitable for communication with
devices not directly connected to the same physical (or logical)
link, and are only used where stable, routable addresses are not
available (such as on ad hoc or isolated networks).  This document
does not recommend that Link-Local IPv4 addresses and routable
addresses be configured simultaneously on the same interface."

In Section 1.2, change:

"Wherever this document uses the term "host" when describing use of
Link-Local IPv4 addresses, the text applies equally to routers using
Link-Local IPv4 addresses on any or all interfaces."

To:

"Wherever this document uses the term "host" when describing use of
Link-Local IPv4 addresses, the text applies equally to routers when
they are the source of or intended destination of packets containing
Link-Local IPv4 source or destination addresses."

Add the following sentence to Section 1.4:

"This document does not recommend that Link-Local IPv4 addresses and
routable addresses be configured simultaneously on the same
interface."

In Section 2.2 change:

"If, by PROBE_MAX seconds after the transmission of the last ARP probe
no conflicting ARP Reply has been received, then the
host has successfully claimed the desired Link-Local IPv4 address."

To:

"If, by PROBE_MAX seconds after the transmission of the last ARP probe
no conflicting ARP Reply or ARP probe has been received, then the
host has successfully claimed the desired Link-Local IPv4 address."

Change IANA considerations from:

"The following terms are used here with the meanings defined in BCP
26: "name space", "assigned value", "registration".

The following policies are used here with the meanings defined in BCP
26: "Private Use", "First Come First Served", "Expert Review",
"Specification Required", "IESG Approval", "IETF Consensus",
"Standards Action".

The IANA has allocated the prefix 169.254/16 for the use described in
this document. The first and last 256 addresses in this range
(169.254.0.x and 169.254.255.x) are allocated by Standards Action. No
other IANA services are required by this document."

To:

"The IANA has allocated the prefix 169.254/16 for the use described in
this document. The first and last 256 addresses in this range
(169.254.0.x and 169.254.255.x) are allocated by Standards Action, as
defined in BCP 26. No other IANA services are required by this
document."

In Section 10:

Remove [RFC1122] and [RFC2181] from the references since
they are not referred to.