Subject: Re: new issue: LL34 Better transition to routable from v4LL using DHCP

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 06:34:18 -0700 (PDT)

> I think you need to run that change past the dhcp WG

Indeed there is a recently accepted DHC WG work item on "Detection of
Network Attachment"
(http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-dna-ipv4-00.txt) that
could handle this issue if we decide to punt on it in the IPv4LL draft.

Punting may well make sense -- but if so, I'd ask that some text be added
saying that this is not being defined in the draft, but that the existing
behavior is not recommended, and perhaps adding a non-normative reference
to the DNAv4 document.

---

From: Erik Guttman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 12:19:28 +0200

The text supplied by Bernard has the property that it does not
specify any new behavior for DHCP.  The new text makes it clear
that an implementation of IPv4LL must attempt to obtain configuration
via DHCP according to the DHCP specification, even if it has failed
to in the past.  I think this satisfies Ted's concern:

Ted Lemon wrote:
 > The correct fix is to make sure that the DHCP client does not in fact
 > modify its behaviour to make IPv4ll work, but rather to modify IPv4ll
 > so that it doesn't interfere with the operation of the DHCP client.

Erik